Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Learned or learnt?

edited April 2014 in - Writing Problems
My brain has turned to mush.
I wrote it both ways without giving it a thought. Now that I'm at the editing stage I don't know if it's correct as it stands, or needs to be changed.

We learnt about camel husbandry... and learned how to cook on an open fire...

Help!

Comments

• Thanks for that link, Baggy. 'Learned' it is.
    The comments at the bottom are quite entertaining/enlightening too - worthy of some of our grammar debates!

:-B
  • Good link, been meaning to check out spelt, dwelt, smelt; they always make me pause.
  • I would have thought that having learnt something I would be more learned.
    (learn-ed).
    Couldn't have it the other way round could you.
  • Great site Baggy - thank you - very useful
  • I've often wondered that myself, Carol, and I've used both forms. Pronunciation ought to be a clue but even that is blurred. I would say "I smelt the flowers" but "The flowers smelled lovely".
  • I've recommended this book before: Common Errors in English Usage by Paul Brians (it's American, so take care).

Here's his site:

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html
  • OED gives 'learned and (chiefly British) learnt'.
    Neither is wrong; choose one and stick to it throughout.
  • Consistency in use is important.
  • OED gives 'learned and (chiefly British) learnt'.
    Neither is wrong; choose one and stick to it throughout.
    Consistency in use is important.
    Exactly! Yet, when I wrote the first draft the two usages came out naturally - and it was only when I went back to edit that I even realised I'd written it both ways. I usually go with my natural instincts when it comes to grammar - and that was when I got really confused! ;)
  • Really fascinating link, thank you! It's really surprising how strongly some people (mostly American, I think) feel against 'learnt'. Had no idea...
  • I'm finding the dictionary in Scrivener, even though it's set to UK English, takes a very dim view of ~t endings. I try to sneak a few in, but I think I'm developing an aversion to them myself now.

I'd probably use smelled and smelt the other way around to Lizy - "I smelled the flowers" sounds active (I went over and sniffed the flowers), while "the flowers smelt lovely" sounds more passive (the flowers were smelling nice whether anybody sniffed them or not). I don't know, though, and it doesn't seem like either is definitely wrong.
  • I'm the same as that, dan.

I burned the toast; the toast was burnt.
  • I burned the toast; it smelt horrible.

I smelled smoke; the toast had burnt.
  • Breakfast doesn't sound like much fun today!
  • Dan, you can tell Scrivener to learn spelling, and then it won't complain any more. I can't find any examples off hand, but I'm sure I've used the t ending and it hasn't complained. Maybe I threatened it.
  • I've never been sure enough about which is 'right' to tell it to stop correcting for this type of word. I can live with the wavy red underlines. Generally if it sounds right when I read it out loud I tend to stick with my gut instinct.