Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Life changing books

edited May 2014 in - Reading
Ever read a book you feel changed your life?

Comments

• How to Develop a Super Power Memory by Harry Lorayne.

My memory for numbers (which was already good) was much better after reading that book. My memory for names and faces is still awful despite reading the book.
  • When I was a teen, many moons ago, I read 'Out on a Limb' by Shirley Maclaine. It had some whacky concepts, but at the time I felt my eyes had been opened. I must read it again to see what I think!
  • How to Bring Up Children Without Really Trying.

It showed me the sense of imposing only truly necessary rules, and of being consistent so that my children knew where they stood.
    I learned to ask, "What time will you be home?" rather than to say, "Be in by eleven." Oddly enough they stuck to their own times far more often than they had to mine.
  • Self help for nerves by Dr Clare Weekes, cured me so quickly amazing.
  • It would have to be Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, because that was the book I was reading when this idea of writing struck me.

What about you, Phots?
  • I don't think reading any particular book has directly changed my life. That's why I asked, really. I happened to have seen a few comments about life changing or even world changing literature and I wondered if people really did feel like that. Clearly some do.
  • PS I Love You - I still have the book. I knew there was better writing out there and I've kept the book as a reminder.
  • I loved that book, Baggy.
  • I know, but there's a serious flaw with one section - can't remember the exact details - and I've never forgiven her.
  • I think the book that made me realise that there were books that could change your opinion and open your eyes to injustice was 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. I came from a very Conservative and racist (through upbringing and ignorance, not inclination, really) and it really did change me.
  • edited May 2014
    Oliver Twist. I struggled with reading until I was 11. Then,at the end of each day, a teacher read from Oliver Twist. I wanted to know what happened next, so I bought the book - at last, I was reading! I haven't stopped since and now have 4 books published and I edit a monthly magazine. Imagine a London kid, in the 1950s, a slow learner, reading 19th century Charles Dickens!

'Mocking Bird' is a memorable book.
  • Imagine a London kid, in the 1950s, a slow learner, reading 19th century Charles Dickens!

That's a great story, Stan. I've never read Dickens - my first attempt was Tale of Two Cities when I was a teenager. I gave up on it very quickly and have never felt the inclination to try Dickens ever again.
  • Not a book exactly, but 'Cycling' (now Cycling Weekly ) was mistakenly delivered to our home when I was 13 or 14. Never looked back.
  • Enid Blyton's The Wishing Chair, swiftly followed by Mr Pinkwhistle opened my eyes to how wonderful books could be. I remember my infant school teacher reading them to us while we sat agape.
  • Did you read Mr Twiddle - I think that was the name -we read some of those to our son. He is always doing things wrong ie Mr Twiddle, not our son!
  • I think I read both those books when I was a child, TN. Definitely The Wishing Chair.
  • Ah, well if we are talking books that turned us on to reading, I was ill when i was 6 and both my parents worked. A kind next-door-neighbour gave my mum a book for me - it was an Enid Blyton, The circus Adventure. I LOVED it and read voraciously from them on.
  • edited May 2014
    Not a book exactly, but 'Cycling' (now Cycling Weekly ) was mistakenly delivered to our home when I was 13 or 14. Never looked back.
    I began reading this when it had just swallowed up another ailing weekly and was, briefly, the unlikely combo "Cycling and Mopeds" - with Alan Gayfer as editor. And cycling took me to the Pennines, kindled my love of Pendle Hill which in turn led me to Robert Neill's historical novels beginning with "Mist Over Pendle." that's what got me hooked on reading novels.
  • edited May 2014
    Alan Gayfer was Guest of Honour at our club dinner one year in the 1960's. (our ladies had won the team prize in time-trialling's British Best All Rounder competition and we also had a couple of blokes of national standing). This was one of several years when it was my 'privilege' to propose the Toast to the Ladies, which I used to wind the ladies up with some good-natured p*ss-taking. (I remember I likened the spectacle of a ladies road-race to Napoleon's retreat from Moscow) Gayfer must have been impressed because our dinner got a full half page write-up in 'the comic' under the banner 'Ladies Praised at Beacon', with several quotes from my speech.

Thinking back, I suppose these humorous speeches, along with my editorship of the club magazine, were my first steps towards creative writing.

The ladies used to enjoy my stuff just as much as the blokes, and always put someone up to respond who was well equipped to put me in my place. All good fun. Sadly, though, in recent years Political Correctness has elbowed its way in, and the toast has been discontinued on the grounds of 'sexism'. Sad.
  • Very sad - and not a little daft.
  • I've got two life changing books. The first was Clive Barker's Weaveworld that I read when I was 11. It wasn't the first adult book I'd read, but it was the first that truly opened my imagination. Well, open is a little weak, I'd say more ripped it out and threw it around. It's still my favourite book alongside Barker's Imajica that I read shortly after.

The second is a book that I won't name. I'd been told for a while by several friends that I should consider writing, but I never thought I could. After reading the book-that-shall-not-be-named I remember thinking that it was truly awful and, if it could get published, then I shouldn't have too much trouble. Harsh, more than a little arrogant and probably words that will bite me on the backside one day, but nevertheless, it's what has led me to where I am now and I don't regret going down this path at all.
  • I read one like the one that-shall-not-be-named, but I'm naming it. The Da Vinci Code. It was very popular. I know people who enjoyed it (sensible literate people which is why I thought I might enjoy it too)
  • I grew up on similar trashy action to Da Vinci code, so I wasn't that offended by it. While I consider it acceptable entertainment, there's a reason you see so many charity shops everywhere - it's a read and throw instead of a read and keep.

However, I do still have the-book-that-shall-not-be-named on my bookshelf as a reminder ;) I've since found several others that keep the fire of motivation burning, but now it's making me wonder if I'm just a cynical, and pedantic git.
  • Go on, name it - or at least give us a clue.
  • It would be unfair to single that author out when I've since found several others that could have the crown if I were to have read them in a different order. Also, as I'm hoping to one day become a fellow fantasy author, it wouldn't do well to insult another author specifically.

However, I'll gladly say that Terry Goodkind, Christopher Paolini and John Marco have all left me uninspired with the genre, whereas David Eddings (at first), Melanie Rawn and Trudi Canavan all helped build an interest in it.
  • Wasn't Paolini only a child when he started? Or is that my imagination?
  • I think he was writing it at 15, dropped out of school to continue it and got it self published by his parents company who then took him on a book tour with it across the states.

Granted, I didn't know that when I started reading it, I just made the mistake of thinking it must be good as I'd seen it around quite a lot, they'd decided to make a film of it and it was successful enough to spawn several more in the same series.
  • Danny Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. I read this as a kid, and even though I already liked books this was the one that turned me onto reading in a big way.
  • I didn't like that book at all, DB.