Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Yeovil Writing Competition

edited June 2014 in - Resources
Following on from my recent discovery of this competition (thanks again, Heather), others' might like to know that they have extended the closing date for entries for another 7 days. So any short story writers or poets might want to take a look.

http://www.yeovilprize.co.uk/

Incidentally - if anyone can figure out where one can read previous winning stories, I'd be interested!!

Comments

• It says on the site that the stories aren't published - either online or in an anthology.
  • That's interesting Claudia - how did you find out? I couldn't see it on the site.

I have to say I find it annoying when comps do that. If we've been organised/bothered enough to meet the date, why shouldn't other people have to be? Anyway, that's just my opinion!

BB is right - they have said a few times that they may publish an anthology but to my knowledge they never have.

• It says on the site that the stories aren't published - either online or in an anthology.
    I didn't find that Baggy, and I must say I'm astonished!! How on earth can a writing competition NOT publish the winning stories? Totally gobsmacked and I now regret entering: I'm not in it for the prize money, I'm in it for the glory and the desire to have my work READ!

Heather - I'm not sure, I was looking for a link to the stories when I saw a note that they had extended the comp for a 7 day 'grace' period. It does seem a bit unfair on those who have entered as per their rules - I had to really rush to get my entry in literally a few hours before the comp supposedly closed.
    I can only assume it's been extended due to low levels of entries?
    But now that I know they don't even publish the stories, I'm not surprised.
  • I've just checked their website again - you're right there is no mention of a grace period on their main pages - I only found it after I'd logged in.
    When I hovered the cursor on 'enter the competition online' a note flagged up saying: Although the closing date has passed there is a short grace period for new entries. See below.
    And the note below says: The grace period has just 7 days left for new entries.

Phew - bit overcomplicated, no?
  • Sorry about that Claudia - although it does mean that if your story does well but isn't published, you still have the glory (albeit without publication) and the chance to use it again in another competition (some only exclude published stories) or magazine.

Some people would see it as an advantage so I doubt it affects entry numbers - they usually get just under 400 entries in each category, which isn't Bridport or Bristol levels, but is pretty good, I would think.

The date extension does sound rather complicated - why would people log in after the closing date??
  • No worries, Heather. I should have read their website more thoroughly - and, as you say, I'd still have a 'usable' story afterwards. :)

As for changing their closing date so that only logged in people can see it... very odd idea!
  • If it's by post then it may explain it. You can send something first class and still not get it for three or more days... :(
  • OMG! That reminds me! My son's birthday is on 13th and he lives in Canada. :(
  • *checks loft for carrier pigeon*
  • Decided that as he didn't mark my 70th birthday he doesn't deserve me sending him a card for his 36th. So I'll send him an email - which he won't answer - and phone on the day instead.
    Bl""dy kids! If we didn't love them . . .
  • Awww...

(((Lizy)))
  • thanks TN - and I apologise for hijacking this thread!

"retires blushing"
  • Hi - does anyone know when the competition winners are to be announced? I can't find anything on their website. (Just want to know how long I have to wait before I can re-work my entry to send elsewhere! :-\" )
  • Last year it was mid September.
  • Surely if you're a winner they will tell you sooner than that? It's like WM - you have to wait months to see the results but if you've won they contact you earlier.
  • Don't know with this one as I've never won it!
    Most comps do let winners know before the results are published, but it's not usually that long before - maybe a week or two at most.
    WM is a bit different as they are a print mag.
  • OK, thanks Heather. Long while yet then...
  • I've taken the bull by the horns and emailed them. Perhaps you could do the same? If enough people ask, they might add it to their site for the future.

I think I know someone involved (I'm just down the road), but can't find them in my book.

If I get a reply I'll post it here.
  • edited July 2014
    Incidentally, I read somewhere recently that the last two years' stories have now been published in an anthology. Can't remember where I saw it though.
  • If enough people ask, they might add it to their site for the future.

If I get a reply I'll post it here.
    I did think of that, but I don't feel comfortable about contacting comp organisers after I've entered one of their comps - not sure exactly why.
  • It was done 'anonymously' - used a pseudonym. Not that I entered. But I know what you mean. Does seem strange not to have a date on the site.
  • "The results will be on the website on 14th September."
  • Good that they replied promptly to your query, BB.
    If you were able to use a pseudonym I'll ask them too: as you say 'if enough people ask...'
  • You're only emailing them with a query, it doesn't really matter if you use your real name or not. I find it hard to believe you're the only person that wants to know.
  • I know when the club ran the short story competition this year the result date was the main thing entrants wanted to know.

We gave an estimated date, because you can never guarantee that there won't be a delay you can't foresee.
  • I blame the judges :)
  • Good that they replied promptly to your query, BB.
    If you were able to use a pseudonym I'll ask them too: as you say 'if enough people ask...'
    It's on their website now in bold letters. :)

• And the results are up.

Didn't recognise any names, but then I'm not always that hot on remembering who's who on here.

Another two no shows for me. I am having a very disappointing year competition wise.
  • Oh, what a shame, heather.

I've no idea what I've entered up until now - not that one though. I do write things down in a notebook, month by month - but the deadlines are always far away and then the judging time further away again. By that time, the fact I've entered something has long left my consciousness! I think there's a WM entry in the pipeline, but no idea what else.

I can't remember what comp it was, but there was one shortlist where the title was printed online, rather than the writer's name - and there was no email to let the writer know.
  • I am having a very disappointing year competition wise.

Ditto - although I suspect I'm not as prolific as you!

I take comfort that my non-fiction travel features this year have been successful - and I did win the OWC this month, so not a complete failure...
  • edited September 2014
    None of us are complete failures, and if we are writing and finishing and subbing then that is a kind of success in itself.

However I have to say that's exactly how I feel today, despite knowing it's not true!

Sorry about your no-show Claudia.
  • I have to admit I'm not suffering from failure today because I didn't think I stood a chance with this one.
    It's much, much worse when I have high hopes for an entry as happened to me recently (and for which I turned to talkbackers for comfort and to lick my writerly wounds!)
  • Claudia, my tongue is very, very sore from licking my writerly wounds. PS: where are your wounds and is it hard to get your tongue there???????????