Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help with Copyright please

edited July 2014 in - Writing Problems
Hi, I have just joined this site as I am writing my first novel and need some help. In my book I use the names of some of London's underground stations and I know Transport for London are protective of their logo's and maps but is it ok just to mention the station names?
Also does anyone know if the use of the term "Finger guns" is ok to use as I think I may have heard it used somewhere before?

This is a great website and pleased I found it. Sorry if my questions are a bit basic but as I said this is my first book.

Comments

• Hi, JJParkins, New here to, this is the place you will get your answers
  • Using the names of real places isn't a problem - and train stations are real places.

Not sure what you mean by 'finger guns' unless it's holding your hand as though pretending to shoot someone?
  • As long as you don't say anything derogatory about the named tube stations- such as they're strewn with rubbish, a safety hazard, you'll be
    okay. :)

I assumed JJP meant holding the fingers to mimic a gun. Don't know if anyone has trademarked it, but you should be able to find out...
  • Hi and welcome JJParkins.
    I read a short story just last night by Helen Simpson titled Cockfosters. The whole story revolves around two women travelling on the Piccadilly line from Green Park to Cockfosters. The story is published in the Guardian Review Book of Short Stories, so I'd say you'd be fine.

(Never heard of Finger guns...)
  • I hope I am allowed to post this? but if you look on the right hand side there is an image of Finger Gun it this what you mean?
    http://all-free-download.com/free-vector/finger-guns.html
  • As long as you don't say anything derogatory about the named tube stations- such as they're strewn with rubbish, a safety hazard, you'll be
    okay. :)
    That's not a copyright issue though. Possibly libel, if proved to be untrue and detrimental to an individual or a company I suppose.
  • My current project needs me to mention, regularly, a company. I also have a photo that clearly shows their logo. I emailed their media dept and provided a synopsis and a copy of the photo. They replied fairly swiftly and said they were more than happy for both their name to be included and their logo to be reproduced.

If in doubt, I'd recommend authors should always check. It's nice to have the approval in writing.

Whilst that might not apply to JJP, I think it demonstrates how cautious authors should be.

• Agree Baggy.

PM, yes I agree it's not a copyright issue, but still needs to be thought about.
  • Thank-you so much everyone for your kind comments. I found this information very useful. With reference to The Finger Guns, they are a ring used as a gun worn on the finger. I know that these exist, due to research on the net, but they have a different name in reality. I do however remember something similar in a film once but am still unsure as to whether I can use them in my fiction and whether I am allowed to call them "Finger Guns." the irony of all of this is, it isn't actually a violent story. Thanks again, I appreciate your help everyone. JJP
  • If you give the name capitals, JJP, you could be accused of using a trade name. If you say finger gun, you're just saying, a gun that fits on a finger.
    Welcome to TB, the site that has everything, most of it stuff you never ever knew you needed. And believe me, you didn't, don't, won't! But it's fun anyway.
  • Oooo, you could use something like that in a crime story... :)