Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Bestseller Categories

edited August 2014 in - Reading
I was talking to some writing friends a few days ago about how almost any book can become an Amazon bestseller if it's listed under the right categories (there do seem to be some obscure ones) Now my own free book is listed. No, I don't see how a free download can be considered a good seller either.

The category is 'single author' in 'short stories' in 'literature and fiction' in 'kindle store' and I'm no 83. You can get it here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Drop-Drink-Patsy-Collins-ebook/dp/B009RX5MGS/ref=la_B004O08LRQ_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408631656&sr=1-1

Do you think one hour on a list with multiple sub categories really qualifies a book as being a best seller?

Comments

• Personally, no. But who am I to argue with Amazon's way of listing things.

And it doesn't seem to need much nowadays to emblazon best seller on a book...
  • Sometimes it's on the cover of the first edition, I suppose publishers just know when a book will do well.
  • A first edition hardback? I've never seen that, I've seen it on the paperback, and first edition paperbacks that have presold through orders.
  • It's odd, isn't it? Some of my children's books have had similar ratings. When I first released a children's poetry ebook it got to something like #4 which, bizarrely, placed it above famous anthologies by very well known poets.

However, I must admit that when I do see a book of mine placed in the top 100 of whatever category, I will quote it on a forum such as kindleboards. It does draw positive attention to it, even though the rating is meaningless really.
  • Liz, I've seen 'brand new best seller' on books. I expect you're right that it's been presold but it just looks so wrong.

TN, I don't blame you for mentioning it at all. We have to make the most of anything positive to help promote our work.