Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Promoting Kindle Countdown Deals in the UK

edited September 2014 in - Reading
Hi, I'm new to this forum, I have two kindle books on Amazon and prefer to use the Countdown promotion rather than free giveaway option available on KDP. I had a good response from Facebook to a countdown deal in July when I put up both books at the same time but I have another one coming up in October and wondered if anyone on this forum has any idea of where I might promote my countdown deal, preferably free. I worry that my Facebook friends, many whom have been very supportive, may tire of my promotions.

Comments

• Welcome, vonny. What are the books about?
  • Hi Vonny. By coincidence I've currently got a book on Countdown Deal & I've just blogged about where I'm promoting it. The suggestions may or may not help you.
    http://sallyjenkins.wordpress.com/2014/09/28/going-viral/
  • For anyone who hasn't come across Countdown promotions, can you explain how it works, please. :)
  • If a book is enrolled in Amazon's KDP Select then the author can reduce the price for any 7 day period in each 90 day KDP Select enrolment. In order to do this the full price of the book must be at least £1.99 (I think). The advantage over just manually changing the price, is that royalties continue to be paid at the % of the full price. So while at 99p the author will still get 70% royalties whereas manually reducing the price will reduce the royalty rate to 35%.
    There are a lot more intricacies than this but that's the basic idea. You also get a countdown on the Amazon book page to indicate how long before the price goes up again - which hopefully encourages people to grab a bargain.

Hope that helps, Carol.
  • Thanks Sally, I'll take a look at your suggestion, Vonny.
  • Thanks, Sallyj, that makes sense now. I can see the advantages. :)
  • Vonny have you promoted it on here?
  • No Jen, I'm a newbie and wasn't sure whether I was allowed to do that on this forum.
  • Hi vonny - and welcome.

Perhaps we should have a thread for TBer books.

I'll go and start one!
  • I've done it. See TB Virtual Bookshelf thread.
  • Talking about the Kindle, I purchased a Kindle Fire HD today, can I use my existing security and mobile dongle to set it up?
    Do I have to set up an Amazon account first?
  • No idea about security and dongle but I think you will need an Amazon account to buy the e-books.
  • You need to register it on Amazon, so you'll probably have to set up an account.

You'd need to if you wanted to buy kindle books anyway.

When I buy a kindle book I get it delivered to both my e-reader and my Kindle Fire.
  • My book has been entered/arranged/set or whatever verb suits for a kindle 99p thingy for the rest of the month (October) to coincide with Sainsbury's doing something with it in their book-club whatchamacallit - anyway the book's called Love Byte - you can see I'm wonderfully well-informed about what my publisher organises LOL.
  • Might be worth including an Amazon link, Datco2014, so that we can easily take a look at it.
  • My novel Viva La Yoga will be available for 99p for 7 days from 16th October
  • Sorry couldn't finish my post, http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IKNJQUE. Viva La Yoga features five women of a certain age who meet at Yoga class and embark on a summer holiday in Spain. A chic-lit contemporary romance that proves you don't have to be young to have fun. This countdown deal is available on amazon co.uk only.