Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help - seeing War Horse tonight with Lola..

LizLiz
edited January 2015 in - Resources
...and someone has said there are very, very loud bangs in it. Anyone seen it and know where they come so I can be feeding her treats? She's fairly bomb proof..

Comments

• I've seen it but can't remember - possibly during the war scenes, but you will know when they are because of the set changes.
  • Forgot to add 'Have a great time!'
  • Thank you! Have made up a bag of cheese. She is sitting very near it.
  • Don't forget to have a box of tissues handy, I think you will need them.
  • Enjoy your evening.
  • Have just been reminded re tissues on FB, have added to bag, thanks, Maro!
  • Have a lovely evening Liz.
  • Tissues. Yes, you will need them. I have never cried so much at the end of a play.
  • Well... I did enjoy it. But the storyline was SO predictable (oh my as soon as he made the owl hoot you knew the plot) and I could have done with him having a leg blown off.
  • Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Not the horse I hope Liz. Glad you enjoyed it. How was Lola?
  • No, not the horse, the hero!

Lola was fine - we were surprised a few times by single shots and bangs at which she sat up and looked at the stage (in common with the rest of the audience) but usually as Baggy says the start of a lot of volleys or a war scene was flagged and I put cheese in my fist and she was oblivious while trying to lick the cheese out.

Towards the end she got hot (along with the rest of the audience!) and poor thing she cannot take her coat off. She is quite long and hairy at the minute, she is having a cut on Tuesday, but there was nothing I could do about that.

She was funny during the clapping, she stood on the steps looking at the stage wagging her tail furiously while everyone gave thunderous applause, just like she was also congratulating them. Actually, I think she knew (as she leapt down as soon as the applause started), that this was the end and we'd be going home.

I suspect my enjoyment may have been marred and made more analytical by the fact I was making sure Lola was ok... but we went with a party of seven others and my best friend was the same, she felt the storyline was very predictable, and like me was deconstructing the part of the time.

The puppetry was absolutely amazing. Apart from the swallows. No suspension of disbelief there I'm afraid.
  • We watched the DVD of it last night. I agree on the storyline, but still cried my way through it. Oddly two of our dogs were as enthralled as we were and were glued to the screen. That is the first programme without a dog that has happened.
  • Interesting! Lola was quite intrigued by the horse puppets when she was sitting up.

Have to say the bangs were incredibly loud though in the Hippodrome and echoed round a lot.