Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Just completed website #2

edited February 2015 in Writing
My first website was purely for children, but I wanted somewhere to stash some of my writing for adults, hence this second one.

Here it is (minus any news and events at the mo):

Helen Laycock | Fiction in a Flash
http://helenlaycock.wix.com/fiction-in-a-flash

Any thoughts, folks?
Tagged:

Comments

• Like the colours.

It's also got an error message for the wander around bit- box loaded saying, 'We're sorry, this content cannot be displayed. Please try again later.'
  • Looking good, TN. What happened to 'stick'? It's gone Germanic. Colour's good, the link to your Amazon page works. Same 'sorry' message as Carol is getting.
  • It does look good. Can you change the font on the tabs so they're consistent?
    You have some with capitals and some in lower case.

Will read it properly later, am on a (short) break.
  • 'stick', Mrs Bear? Is that a word I've used somewhere?

I can't see that error message, ladies. I'll go back to edit mode and see if there's anything untoward lurking there.

Yes, Baggy, I used lower case for 'Other publications' as I thought that was a by the by. I was trying to make it look less important. Perhaps I'll change that then.

Thanks for the feedback!!
  • A neat and tidy home page, TN.
    I like the image for Light Bites - it makes me think of a nice sit-down with a cuppa and a book - but I wonder if the other two should be more dark and looming to match the content of the stories? Can you add a threatening shadow to the Underground one?
    Just thinking aloud :)
  • About Tiny Nell is an important page, that should surely be in capitals!
  • I think I've fixed the error that was giving that message. The box around the web counter was overlapping the 'Please wander round' notice.

Yes, Lizy, I looked for something a bit more sinister for the other books, but a lot of the image templates don't allow for rectangular book covers. If I go with square, it loses a lot. I'll have another look in case I've missed anything.

OK, Baggy, I'll make them all capital...
  • Stick and Laycock on the home page are weird - I think that's what Mrs Bear means?
  • Nothing at all happens when I click on 'please wander around' Everything else seems fine.
  • I just cannot see the word 'stick'! Where is it?

I've made all the tabs capitals, but on the link here they're showing the old lower case. Maybe that's what happens when you have more than a certain number?

Yes, please wander round isn't an active tab, PM. So, that's confusing...

• Just looked at the other tabs- like them, but did wonder if 'About' should be in its own tab.
  • It seems only able to display four tabs across the top, and has decided itself to store the extras under 'More'. I've made that capital so I'm hoping that everything it diverts to also becomes capital.

Do you mean, Carol, that there's not enough there to warrant a tab?
  • I've finally found the word 'stick' in the quotes on the Home page. Is that the word that looks funny, Mrs Bear and PM? Which 'Laycock' looks odd?

...careful!

Maybe I should change the font.
    Which 'Laycock' looks odd?

...careful!
    I resisted!

Same page as stick - it's in another quote
  • On Fun Times you haven't added the ISBN.
  • Great stuff TN.

Although isn't it a tad ostentatious for such a small person to have TWO websites?
  • I've changed the font on the quotes. Has that made a difference to 'stick' and 'Laycock'?

I took away the box that the invitation to wander was on.

I've added the ISBN. Thanks, Eagle-Eyes Baggott.

sm, it is because I am small and take up so little space on this earth that I am allowed two.
  • The funny font looks fine now.
  • I wish I could say the same for myself...

Thanks, PM. It's odd that, on my computer, all looked fine and dandy!
  • I'm no expert but it looks good to me TN.
  • Different browsers sometimes give different results. I didn't know they could change the fonts, but I think we've already established that I'm not a computer genius.
  • As one almost computer genius to another ... do you know if you could transfer your knew website to a domain name you'd already bought?
  • You go to the provider where you 'bought' the domain and opt for 'diversion'. There you add the address that you wish to divert the traffic to.

Each will be slightly different, but the theory should be the same.

• Well, my husband bought a domain a while back which is hanging around, waiting to be used. It just has our surname and I was going to use it as a domain for these new websites... I could do that, but in order to access that 'free' option, I am first of all required to set up a monthly payment to 'upgrade' the site. That will work out too expensive, so I'm sticking with what I've got.

I think I can link it to a blog for no charge.

Apparently, new websites can take up to twelve weeks to be found by Google. I managed to find some sort of 'Wizard' document on Wix which gave tips about how to make your site work best. It counts the number of words you have used in your content, then calculates how many times your chosen keyword must appear - either visibly or behind the scenes in the 'SEO' settings (hark at me, sounding as if I know what I'm talking about!). I used my name as the keyword (for lack of other idea).

I've no idea how useful these sites will be. I just think that it's expected that writers have them. I just had a message from someone on Goodreads who had looked at my children's site and chose to contact me, so maybe the trick is just to 'put it about a bit'!
  • Baggy, if I were to divert from the domain to a Wix (or similar) website, it'd still show the untidy web address wouldn't it? Or doesn't that matter too much - it's only for quoting it, putting it on business cards etc that we need the domain one?
  • You would use the domain on your business cards etc - keeping it tidy. Once someone clicks on that address they are taken to the Wix one - in a flash, no delay.

www.createspaceandme.co.uk is on the literature, but it goes to the blog.

Same with www.read-reviewed.com