Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Wonderbook

edited March 2015 in - Resources
Anyone read Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction by Jeff Vandermeer? I found it very informative, and original in its approach. Also a good reminder of what I already know but probably don't consciously think about enough.

As well as the author using thorough examples from his own award-winning work, and giving many brilliant writing exercises, it contains essays by many successful writers, including Neil Gaiman, George R. R. Martin, Peter Straub...

It's probably easy to think it's slanted more towards spec fiction writers, but I think it's a valuable resource for anyone.

Two things I think it does really well (quite an ingenious approach):

1) Advice is imparted from a fictional perspective, with various characters (e.g. Myster Odd) and illustrations (a graphic of the ideal Organic Story Fish, for one, compared to the Mechanical Story Fish), so as you learn your brain is already engaged in creativity;

2) It makes you think about the different ways you can write something according to the effect you're trying to achieve, rather than thinking about restrictive "rules" applied arbitrarily.

Personally, I felt like my imagination was given a kick before I even got to the end of it. I was coming up with all sorts of ideas.

Comments

• Here's the companion website with more examples and writing exercises, and a video trailer for the book: http://wonderbooknow.com/

Definitely worth checking out the actual book.
  • Looks interesting, TS.
  • This sounds excellent, TS.

I will definitely check it out :)
  • It looks as though it's geared towards fantasy/science fiction writers - which is not me - but what a visual pot pourri of information. I would definitely buy it if it wasn't so genre-specific.
  • edited March 2015
    It looks that way on the surface, but I don't believe it is overall (a couple of things, yes, like world-building by George R. R. Martin). Almost everything in it should apply to crafting any kind of story: pacing, characterisation, knowing how to edit scenes (e.g., are you ending it too soon or too late?), how to hook a reader, how to write better dialogue, creating motion in a static scene, using setting as character, finding the best test reader for you, etc.

It probably won't be to everyone's tastes, though.

I wonder if any libraries have it to give it a try :)
  • edited March 2015
    OK, I'll go with what you say, TS. For what it is, it doesn't seem to be too expensive. It can be instead of an Easter egg... to myself.

Ker-ching. Bought.
  • Uh oh, now I've done it *feels the pressure* Hope you like it *waits in hiding for TN's thoughts after reading*.
  • It's OK. Webbo knows where you live. I'll send him round, if necessary.
  • Webbo happens to think Wonderbook is indeed a wonder-book, and that if nothing else, it makes a wonderful flick-through-and-leave-on-the-coffee-table-for-some-of-its-gleaming-creativity-to-rub-off-on-Nell type of book. It's just a joy to take in. Very good for any with young imaginations they're keen to inspire.
    The publishers offered us an extract when it first come out, but I couldn't figure out how to make an extract work!
  • Fabulous, Webbo.

I shall buff a rectangle on my coffee table ready for its arrival.

At ease, TS.
  • I've got a middle-aged imagination with occasional leg cramps. This book gave it a crutch.
  • Purchased.

Another book shaped parcel for my wife to roll eyes at when she takes delivery :D
  • I think you'll be pleased with it. It's one of those books I read cover to cover, but I keep going back to, dipping into sections, to give my creative brain a kick.
  • It's arrived! A hefty little volume. Intriguing...
  • Looks fab. Going on my birthday list!
  • Hopefully you enjoy it/find it in some way useful/enlightening.

Any thoughts yet, TN?
  • I'm about halfway through, TS.
    Yes, I'm finding that it's very confirmatory (is that a word?). It's a bit philosophical, a bit intellectual and a useful guide for any writer.
    I'm hoping to be inspired to write something before I reach the end!
  • It looks intriguing, but I think I want to actually see a copy first before buying it as I'm not convinced it will suit my writing style.
    Wondering if I'll find it in bookshops...?
  • Sounds like a good word either way, TN :) And I agree.

Hopefully you'll find it, Claudia. I came across it while browsing in Waterstones, prominent on the shelf with one of those handwritten "recommended by the staff" cards beneath it.
  • Received my copy.

Waiting for a day off so I can indulge.

• Hopefully you'll find it, Claudia. I came across it while browsing in Waterstones, prominent on the shelf with one of those handwritten "recommended by the staff" cards beneath it.
    Oh, good. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I go to Cork city.

• Oh, good. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I go to Cork city.
    Didn't find a Waterstones - but I'm unfamiliar with the city... will try to find out its location before my next trip.
  • A non-writer friend of mine was here last week and, having seen the book, jotted it down on her list of books to buy. She liked the pictures!