Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How to find a publishing house (or an agent)??

2»

Comments

• Some recent remarks on the bottom of this thread from October and December 2015...

http://www.fictionpost.com/f117/novum-publishing-25493/
  • Having looked at another link on Google I'm beginning to think datco may have something.
  • I doubt he was the first to consider it.
  • In a nutshell. Misleading dealings.
  • I doubt he was the first to consider it.
    Ha!

• edited February 2016
    Alarm bells, alarm bells everywhere O.o

• last week, I have met one of my cousins,
    I really do hope, that your have some advices for my cousin, so he finally can become a “real” author

and your advices!

so I wanted to ask you for some advices first, before he is taking some actions like self-publishing and invests a lot of money

But first we would like to know if you have ever heard about publishing houses like them or made some experiences?

we have seen a few books that are published by novum… some of the authors were Germans, so we looked them up in google and found some pretty ancouraging success stories.

This is a fascinating thread.

It seems that no matter what advice we share, jollyjoker and his cousin are smitten with Novum.
    Mm mm. ..maybe they ARE Novum? ??
    Ha ha - how did I miss this? Clearly JJ is a non-native English speaker... Would he be German perhaps?

Come on JollyJoker, 'fess up!
  • Some things go right over my head.
  • edited February 2016
    If it is JJ's idea of a joke it's not nearly jolly enough for my taste - any confession flippin' well better be accompanied by something very jolly indeed or I'll ... I'll do something.
  • I've just read back over this discussion.
    Perhaps I am naive, but I think JJ is legit. I trust him/her.

The only thing that I think is a little strange is for a non-writer to take that much interest in the tedious business of someone else's writing to publishing process!
  • I've just read back over this discussion.
    Perhaps I am naive, but I think JJ is legit. I trust him/her.

The only thing that I think is a little strange is for a non-writer to take that much interest in the tedious business of someone else's writing to publishing process!
  • I think this calls for one of us to write a mystery short story.

JollyJoker and the Curious Case of Novum - A sincere man simply trying to help his cousin? Or is he a mischievous fraud, working undercover for the infamous Novum!
  • Anyone have a spare manuscript kicking around? They might make an offer...
  • Hi again! Your are right, I am not a native speaker ;) but my cousin was born in London and has been living there since then… I have been in the UK for the past year, because I have to travel a lot for work. Sadly, during this past year, visiting my auntie and my cousin I have managed only twice :/ but if I am able to help them in some way, I definitely will!
    However, I can assure you, that I am not obsessed with any publishing house mentioned… like I said, we are really green to this, therefore I wanted to ask you guys first. Thanks anyway for all your advices and suggestions, some of you were really helpful! ;)
  • No, no, JJ - we're all really helpful! It's just that you may not like what everyone says. Doesn't mean we aren't sincere, though, in our desire to protect the unsuspecting from nasty publishing-type piranhas.
  • Hi everyone. It's been a long time - entirely my fault for not calling in to visit, but it's great to see the names of so many old friends, still writing, helping, adding weight, fun and meaning to our cultural effort. I popped into Talkback this evening and this thread caught my eye: the hunt for an agent/publisher.

Everyone's right, JJ: your book must be finished to stand any chance of anything. And it has to be good to be accepted by, let's face it, someone who must stand to make money from it. It has to have the sort of appeal these experienced professionals recognise in order to sell. Very well written, on a buzzing or a novel topic, ticking most of their boxes.

But alongside your book, it helps to have a top idea. And even a website, social media presence and existing reputation. Talkbackers will know how long and hard I've been trying to get my first novel ready, and have submitted it left, right and centre to no avail over a number of years.

Well, my son, God bless him, has a diet plan, has the add-ons I've mentioned above, and wanted his 3 online books to be published in print. He put his application past me, the experienced old-hand, and I pointed out to him how his pitch didn't correspond to the tried and tested best plan. He sent it off nonetheless, saying he had a product that people wanted, making it 'a no-brainer'.

He emailed it on the Tuesday, and would you believe it, folks, the same day he was contacted by an agency in London. They'd seen his website and could they meet him. He met them in London on Thursday and they gave him a draft contract there and then. He is to accompany them to a coming book fair to sell/auction his books around the publishers they have in mind.

Meanwhile I think I'll return to my novel - having been too busy to do anything on it for months - but his success has reminded me of my dreams. I'm telling you all this, of course, because I'm proud of my son's acceptance and I share some of the glow. Funnily enough, he doesn't see it as any big deal. Just the next step.

Sorry, JJ, for hi-jacking your thread, but it kind of links in. Have the big idea, the must-have product. It tends to cut to the quick.
  • Hello, Dwight, how lovely to see you, and huge congratulations to your son - and I hope your book gets its chance soon.
  • Hello Dwight, long time no see. Well done, Junior Dwight! He's sprinted past you, but doesn't mean you can't catch up. Get that novel finished and out there!
  • Hello Dwight, and well done to your son. You won't be far behind I'm sure.
  • What lovely news - and to see you back here!
  • Congratulations to Dwight Jnr.

• Excellent news! Congrats Dwight's son.
  • (My daughter was published before me, too!)
  • How exciting, Dwight!
  • (My daughter was published before me, too!)
    I suppose it's because they have a little bit of us in them, Liz

Thanks everyone for your spurring wishes. I'll follow Dave before long, I hope.