Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Mrs Calcott's Army

edited February 2017 in Writing
The novel is now available on CreateSpace e-store (whatever that is) and will be on Amazon in 3-5 working days as a paperback.
I'm in the middle of having it uploaded from CS to KDP and it's taking forever. Anyone know if this is normal? 'Just a moment' it says, but the circle of doom goes round and round. How long should I wait?

Comments

• Can't help you with the loading time, but sincere congrats on completion and 'getting your work out'. It is a great personal accomplishment that many of us share!!
  • I've heard of several people having trouble with the 'publish on kindle' option of Ctreatespace. That's both getting it to work and with the finished result. I prefer to do it myself directly.

The e-store is where you can buy copies yourself, if you want to. The price will be in dollars and delivery charges are added, plus there may be taxes to pay upon delivery.
  • It's on Amazon for real now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/154235627X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486031215&sr=1-1&keywords=Mrs+Calcott's+Army

Shows as out of stock at the moment, but that should soon sort itself out.
  • It takes only a minute or two to upload for Kindle. I always use a new file; I never go for the convert because it won't remove the blank pages etc. Best to spend five minutes on a new version and upload that.

Congratulations!
  • Well done Mrs B!
  • Go in on another tab and see if it's there already - sometimes it's just your browser getting stuck and it has happened already.
  • edited February 2017
    Well done Mrs Bear.

It's now showing as available to order.
  • 452 pages? That IS a top effort, Mrs B!!
  • And it's a big size. How many words is it?
  • Oh, well done, Mrs Bear! I haven't seen it yet as the circle is still going around, but I will have a look when it lets me in.
  • Sounds like I'll be better off uploading a copy myself, as it's still not showing, several hours later. I did email them, so will wait until I hear back, but in the meantime I'll prepare the kindle-ready version myself.

It's just under 142k words, Helen.

Oh, my word - it's in stock! Good grief - I've written a book!
  • Congratulations!
  • Congratulations on the birth of a bouncing baby book!
  • Thank you, everyone!
  • Congratulations, Mrs Bear! What a splendid title - I'd buy it in a shop just on the title.
  • Ooh, I can see it now.

Great cover! Is that all one's own work, Mrs Author?

A fabulous job. Well done!
  • edited February 2017
    I#ve ordered it - and one of TN's. It's great to be able to read again :)
  • Ooh, I can see it now.

Great cover! Is that all one's own work, Mrs Author?

A fabulous job. Well done!
    No, not my artwork - Magic Owl Design did it for me, though I provided the various images.

Lizy, thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it. No Dukes, no sex, just people learning to trust and to love and to get on with life in extraordinary circumstances...but that's all I'm saying!

• It's in my 'basket' but I need another to take me to the free postage level.
  • It's in my 'basket' but I need another to take me to the free postage level.
    Beyond all Doubt will do it!!

:D
  • Downloaded when it was free... although I must admit I don't understand why you did that so soon after publishing.
  • Notable comment, and well received. I thought that scheduling it with the Christmas holidays was a good time for maximum exposure. Also testing the waters with Matador. I am sure I will devise better for my forthcoming Whisper of Death.
  • Better to have it on offer just before your next one comes out.
  • Looks good, Mrs Bear. Are you able to edit the formatting of the sample and description? One runs into the other.
  • No, it seems to want to be like that, Ana. I had it all set out as in the book, with a space between that and the description, and that's how it came out. Annoying.

The Kindle version should be available within 72 hours. I had a useless email from CS saying it was KDP's problem, after KDP had said it was CS's problem. So I just did it myself. That meant I had the chance to look through it as it would appear on a Kindle, which was fun.
  • The Kindle edition is now live! That was fast!
  • Have bought. I wonder if I was first?
  • My paperback copy arrived this morning from Amazon - I ordered it on Thursday.
    Was I first?
  • edited February 2017
    No, it seems to want to be like that, Ana. I had it all set out as in the book, with a space between that and the description, and that's how it came out. Annoying.
    It's still very long for a description. You don't want to put anyone off downloading the sample.They're more likely to convert into buying it if they've already taken that step. It reads like an excerpt and not a description.

If you put #dorsethour and #wimborne in your tweets you could get some local interest.
  • It appears properly on the Amazon version.
    I'd add those to my tweets, BB.