Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My blurb for my not yet started novel!

This is the kind of what I had in mind:

Working title - “Where the truth may die”

"Despite graduating with a degree in journalism James has become disillusioned with his job at a local newspaper. When a house burglary takes place in the area that results in the murder of a devoted husband, he is finally given the opportunity he desperately needs to prove himself.

But the crime takes a twist when a detective from another police force writes an open letter claiming they possessed intelligence that could have prevented it from happening and a widow’s bereavement turns to anger.

When James is given further information, he is convinced there is more to the crime than the public are being told. Caught between an editor who thinks there is nothing to the story, a widow whose only demand is to know the truth and a fiancé who dismisses him as a conspiracy theorist, James puts his career and his life on the line to find out the burglary isn’t quite what it seems."

I thought I had my first act sorted out but I'm not sure if it is gripping enough or has page-turnability. On top of that I'm not even sure where it is heading or what the climax might be.

I would like to know what your gut reaction is? Thoughts?

Comments

• I'm thinking of writing a poem about bullying It starts with cyber bullying and ends in a suicide. What do you think?
  • Well, if there's no conspiracy it will be a disappointing read. If you don't have a conspiracy you have no plot.

• On top of that I'm not even sure where it is heading or what the climax might be.
    I have a similar issue with the story I am writing.

• I'm thinking of writing a poem about bullying It starts with cyber bullying and ends in a suicide. What do you think?
    Doesn't sound very cheery.

Who would be your likely audience do you think? Bullies or their victims?
  • edited March 2017
    Frankly, Liz, I think this preoccupation which people have with the dark side of life, leads to more of the same. It encourages victims to feel sorry for themselves and the bullies to pile it on.

Why don't your write something in which the bully ends up with his arse well kicked?

We can all cheer at that one
  • I'm not sure if it is gripping enough or has page-turnability. On top of that I'm not even sure where it is heading or what the climax might be.

I would like to know what your gut reaction is? Thoughts?
    Mine is that if you're not sure then it isn't and never will be. Unless you're totally engaged with the idea, how will you cope with the months, possibly years it will take to write the book?

If you don't feel you have something to say, how can you communicate with the reader?

Not the stuff of poetry, I would have thought.

• Frankly, Liz, I think this preoccupation which people have with the dark side of life, leads to more of the same. It encourages victims to feel sorry for themselves and the bullies to pile it on.

Why don't your write something in which the bully ends up with his arse well kicked?

We can all cheer at that one
    My point is that you can have the most mundane or the most amazing sounding blurb for a non-existent novel and it means NOTHING. It's the writing that counts. Give the storyline for an Ann Tyler and you'd fall asleep.

Without the story or poem there is no opinion to give.

• By the way, SM, I disagree. You need literature for victims to find themselves in and relate to, and know they aren't the only ones. Bullying comes from many places but I don't think advertisement of its actuality makes the slightest bit of difference. Bullies are also victims usually and need the same help. Victims often become bullies themselves. Are-kicking may well be what they are getting at home anyhow. It is not an answer. there is no pre-occupation, there is an admisson that it is going on, and that is much better than ignoring. it.
  • It sounds quite good but I think you need to up the stakes a bit. Why is his life on the line? Develop that a bit further. A burglary that's not quite as it seems doesn't sound exciting enough. Did the husband die in some bizarre way? What were the circumstances? Make it a case that everyone would be talking about. And put the main character at a pivotal point in his life where looking into this case is the last thing he should be doing.

• My point is that you can have the most mundane or the most amazing sounding blurb for a non-existent novel and it means NOTHING.

Liz - I see your point.

Lou - I think the difficulties I have with it should be saying something and is time to give up on it.
  • Scubadiver, by the time you've written it, you may find you need a different blurb anyway, because so much can change in the writing process.
  • I don't think you should give up - instead develop the plot so it is gripping and you're enthusiastic about writing it.
  • I'd put it away and write something else. Either the solution and enthusiasm will come back or to won't - I can't see how you would make it exciting if it doesn't excite you.
  • edited March 2017
    There is possibly a market for blurbs for non existent books, Scubadiver.

Try offering your services to Lydia