Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Online book launch

edited June 2018 in Writing
How do these work and are they worth it or just a bit of fun?

Comments

• They are fun, but you may get a few book sales out of it.

How many attend really depends on when it's taking place and for how long.

You go to events in the sidebar on your Facebook main feed- or wherever it is on your version of Facebook, then go from there.
  • Preparation is the key. Some just fizzle out but if you have questions prepared (and offer small prizes) you can generate some interest. I've bought books after some because the authors put so much effort into the event that I wanted to thank them.

Questions should be about topics associated with the book's theme. For example, 'When did you last walk along a pier?' 'What's the quirkiest thing you've seen on a pier?' You introduce each question with something about the book, describe the pier in your book. That generates an interest in your plot.

You pick a winner at random. There's a cost involved - small gifts worth, say, £2 each. And the postage. Notebooks, key rings, etc.

Maybe offer a copy of the book to the person who responds to all the questions (drawn at random from all those who do so).
  • Lots of potential readers will have been on a pier during their summer holidays either as children or adults.
  • Gosh! Didn't realise there was so much involved.
    I'll have to think about it over the weekend.