Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

edited January 2008 in - Website Problems

Comments

• Hello everyone,
    I am very pleased to announce (just as I am sure many of you will be pleased to hear) that we will be shifting Talkback to a new system today.
    Jon has created the new system much earlier than we anticipated, and it should be faster, more stable and more secure than the existing one.
    Before the switch we will lock postings, to allow us to transfer them to the new system, and amend all links to point to the new page. In the meantime, if you fancy a sneak preview, visit <A href="http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback">this page</a>

It will take some getting used to: there are some new features, and more to add in the near future, so I hope you don't have trouble navigating it.
    One key difference, which all users should note, is that to login, you should now enter your username and password, rather than e-mail address and password.
    I hope you find the new system an improvement, and appreciate Jon's work as much as I do!
    Best wishes
    Webbo
  • Sounds good, Webbo. I'm sure we'll have no trouble in navigating, otherwise we'll help each other, - or send you a question or two...
  • Thanks Webbo, and Jon, for all the hard work in getting it organised.
  • Interesting, thanks for the new system. I'll have a gander.

Does that mean all the posts go back to zero?

Richard
  • Hi Richard.
    In fact, one of the complexities that prevented us doing this sooner was the transference of postings and data.
    All postings and users from the existing system will return in the new system.
  • As long as it works it sounds like a good job well done Webbo and Jon - thank you from all of us.
  • Webbo, have to say it will take getting used to. But the small print under the thread title, which says who started it etc is in a colour that makes it difficult to read- any possibility of a better colour or black text?
  • edited January 2008
    Hi Carol,

This has now been changed to be black. Also the background color changes depending on if you have read a discussion or not.

Regards
    Jon
  • Thanks Jon, yes the change to black is much better. Thank you.
  • This is a bit different!
  • I found you! Thanks.
  • Well done Webbo and Jon, you've obviously worked very hard on this. New format seems very easy to navigate. Thank you both and Happy New Year.
  • Well done! This looks good. Of course everything new takes a little getting used to, but it looks really good.
  • [just copied this over from the 'old' board because I noticed it said only post there if there's a problem, d'oh)

wow it looks great! I can see all the posts there, but I'm posting here because I'm not sure when it'll be locked (unless it automatically updates?) Well I'll get my answer as soon as I've submitted this because I can check if it's there.

Happy New Year everyone!
  • just a query...isn't the size of icons that we can have a bit small?
  • Stan is still chatting away on the old system. I've left him a message, but don't think he has noticed!
  • Hopefully he'll catch up with us soon.
  • looking good, now to explore ...
  • I hate to complain but I'm a little disappointed that there's no preview function
  • Thank you Jon - that seems to have done the trick. Going out to finish the snowman before it gets any darker.
  • Hi Isabella King,

I will see if I am able to add in a preview system like the old Talkback had.

Regards
    Jon
  • edited January 2008
    Hello all. I'm just trying out the new system. The layout is much clearer than the old one.

Yes, that worked. I see that our real names are now visible on our profiles unless you untick the box in our personal info section.

Sorry, I worded that really badly. I can write English, honestly...
  • Major gripe - unless I'm being thick. If a thread extends over more than one page, when you press Control & End or similar, you get to the end of the FIRST page - not much use if there are five pages.
  • It looks like our detailed profiles (what we had to say about ourselves) have disappeared, to be replaced by only the briefest of info. Any idea how to put something back about ourselves? And what's the account picture field in the personal info page I tried to input a photo of me there but it wouldn't take it. Am I being dense?
  • Viv, I just checked the old site and my old details are still there so you could copy and paste yours to bring them here if you wanted to.
  • Some threads appear to be invitations o wite a story as a group. These stries becme very long and are not really discussion, would it be possible to segregate them into a separate category
  • (I think this is the case)

Before, once I'd posted something, I could press Back and end up back at the list of topics.

Now, when I press Back, it's still on the thread where I've just posted something. I have to press Back a second time to get back to the list of topics.

Any chance this can be changed to the way it used to work?
  • Hi Webbo and Jon, this looks really good and I couldn't resist the icon for my name. I appear to be the only one apart from yourself. I wonder if others will join us soon? I only have one other thought that would be great to have had, but this is a personal one. Being dyslexic I'd have loved a spell check. But this is great and so quick. Thank you so much.
  • I would put up an icon but i can't seem to be able to get something small enough...
  • Hi, Just a small question. Do I have to enter username and password every time I enter the site. When I logged out I ticked the box to 'remember me' but you didn't remember me when I tried to log back in and I had to enter the info again. Thanks.
  • Is there a limit on the amount of text that will fit into the big imput box?
  • I don't like the number of visits thing - "most active users". It's like being spied on: how many times have you looked in today, even if you didn't post anything.
  • Jemma Ash, they resize it for you later, mine is still bigger than I expect it to be in the end.
    Josette, if you log out you have to log back in, yes.
  • Jay, if you go to the end of a long thread you can click on the last page, the numbers are displayed right hand corner at the end.
    I have got used to flitting through this, it will work well when it settles down. Bound to be things we don't like, but then there were things we didn't like before! The most important thing is, if it is stable and will be there when we need one another, that is all that matters. Going on line to find TB has gone down is the worst thing imaginable, short of my computer crashing or losing all my files, that is.

Gracious, don't I over dramatise things!!!!!
  • This looks interesting, bit of a pain having to log in everytime though - will this always be the case
  • i resized my picture to be 32 pixels by 32 pixels and it still resizes it and cuts it...that is annoying...

you shouldn't need to log in each time... i don't think i asked mine to even remember me and i don't need to log in...
  • Well done Webbo and Jon - I'm off to have a look round and see what I can find to play with ...
  • ah yay i can see my little icon now...
  • Oooh, I'd love an icon but I am too much of a dodo to understand the instructions. If anyone can explain it in simpler English please feel free...
  • to be able to have an icon you have to have a photosharing thing like photobucket which i just signed up for just to do my icon...then you add a picture and it tells you how to do all that pretty easily...
  • Okay I think we'll get the hang of this pretty quickly. Glad I browsed through the comments on this thread though because I've always preferred to keep my identity private and I wasn't happy to see my name on show!
    I'm not the only one who feels this way - Candy springs to mind. I think you should have unticked the box guys and let us decide first.
  • is there a facility (for want of a better word) for smilies on this forum??
  • Stan has just mentioned on another thread the lost profiles, and the lost private e-mail contact we used to have.
  • I would like to second Jemma's request. Could we have some smileys please...pretty please. :-) They might help in certain situations.
  • edited January 2008
    i've got some really cool smilies from a "friend" but I can't put them in my post...

webbo: i notice that when someone posts a link it doesn't come up as a web link...is there a way that it can?
    The last post link also only goes to the last page...not last post...can that be changed?
    sorry for all these...
  • If you stay logged in it doesn't seem to count your visits.

Webbo - the site doens't seem to deal with quotation marks either.
  • Not sure I like the way it shows how many visits I've made to the site. Makes it look like I have no life and no friends! Okay, so I have no life and no friends!!!!!
  • Josette. You've got friends here which is why you have visited so often. I've worked out that if you don't sign out, go away and then come back, that visit isn't counted. Do ya get where I'm coming from 'cos I'm not sure that I do. Marc pass the bristol cream please.
  • Yes I think the number of visits on any particular day is irrelevant; don't like it much either.
    Oh I hate to add another negative post, but I've been looking at my details again and it says I've only posted 67 times - so where did the other 1,000-odd disappear to?
  • Hola Claudia. Can't answer that question but I guess there will be teething problems. How are things in Fiji?