Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Hello.

edited August 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hello. May I come in? I'm new to all this. I've almost finished a novel about the Air Transport Auxiliary of WWII and I'm having a seriously hard time persuading an agent to read it. Any hints, advice, anyone?
  • Hi Sky (high) bit silly that. Welcome. No advice from me sorry as I aspire to reaching the finish line. However, you will get plenty of advice and guidance here.  There a great lot, some with invaluable experience.  Good Luck (cobber?)
  • Hi. I,ve just won the Writers' News non-fiction award so maybe I can help?

First you need someone who is an expert in the subject to read it and evaluate it for accuracy. I am currently editing a novel set on the wartime railways and am finding it full of historical-factual errors.If he'd just had it proofread for typos then sent it to an agent, thence to a publisher, nobody would have known that it was full of historical inaccuracies.

So, I think getting someone knowledgeable in that area is an absolute must!

If I can help you further do not hesitate ...

Helena Wojtczak
  • Many thanks for that. I love 'Cobber' but I'm afraid I'm still rather too 'Pommie'!
  • Helena, I'm grateful for your input. I am okay with the technicalities and the historical stuff but would really appreciate someone with expertise in that particular area taking a look.
  • Then find out who has written about the subject and write to them! H
  • That's the reason the subject sparked my interest initially... No one has written about it - at least no one still living.
  • Hi there and welcome.  You may well find this is a tricky market to break into but concentrate on those who take War books of all and any kind, ask them. There are publishers who will look at war related books.
  • Hi Skyhigh, I'm glad you've dropped in.
  • I was about to say approach a publisher who publishes similar stuff to yours, but I see Helen has already suggested that.  Keep slogging - persistence pays.
  • Hello. Perhaps you should approach a literary consultancy with this project. They will give you a fair assessment of your work. Cornerstones has got a really good reputation. Best of luck.
  • Time is a traveller, Tenterfield Saddler.
    Talkback unraveller, I'm just a babbler.

Sorry. Love that song. (Except that when I was young I thought it was, Time is a traveller, tend to feel sad-a-lot.)

Hello and welcome aboard, Skyhigh.
  • Hello Skyhigh
  • Hi, Skyhigh. Welcome to Talkback. Best of luck with the book. Have you tried Googling for museums, associations, etc?
  • Hello, Skyhigh. Thought I'd add my voice to the throng.
  • Have your tried the Air Force Association to see if they can suggest anything?
  • Hello Skyhigh, you will find talkbackers are a caring lot and very helpful.  It is just a thought, perhaps The Imperial War Museum could be of help, they may point you in the right direction.
  • Wow! I hadn't realised there were so many fellow writers out there! So much helpful input... I'll try all your suggestions.

The words of that famous song: 'You'll never walk alone' immediately spring to mind - and here was I thinking writing was a solitary affair!