Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writers block - that old chestnut!

edited August 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi, I've just this minute registered so thought I might as well get posting straight away.
    I'm new to writing (well technically I have been writing since primary school)and think I might need some guidance/encouragement.
    At the ripe age of 33 I've finally decided this is what I want to do but am finding it hard to get off my backside and DO IT. The trouble is I want to do it all, novels,short stories,articles,scripts etc. and consequently do none of it!
    I've decided I've GOT to focus on something and I think that might be short stories. It's time I really got stuck in, as there's so much inside that I need to say.

The Old West story where people take it in turns to write lines is a fantastic idea, I might have a go at that later.

All the best
    A
  • Welcome to the site Andrew. I'm sure you'll find your niche for writing. Try the different types and genres, and you'll quickly realise which one suits you best.
  • Hi Andrew. Welcome. Had you thought about doing a course? It gives a focus to your writing and can spur you on. WN do a good a good home study course for short story writers. I'm sure if you search this site you'll find more recommendations.
  • Hi Andrew and welcome.  Good for you that you have decided to join the ranks of the great unsung!  I too have been scribbling for years but only recently decided to see if I was any good at it.  I highly recommend the WN courses, my tutor was John Paxton-Sheriff and his advice was invaluable (if a touch painful at times).  If you did the course you might discover where your true talents lie and be able to focus yourself from there but in the meantime, so you don't get frustrated with it all, why not try a bit of everything?  If you have an idea, start making notes, then try writing it.  Can't hurt and it will give you practice with discipline and aligning your thoughts.  Good luck
  • Hi, Andrew. Welcome to Talkback.

There are some thread on writer's block - see what you can find using the search function.

Best of luck with whatever you try!
  • welcome to the madhouse that is Talkback!  I would suggest starting with a few short stories, use some of those ideas and begin making notes for The Novel that is sure to be there.
  • Short stories are often seen as the easy option, but actually need a lot of crafting and skill to tell your tale in so few words. They are great practice for your cutting and editing skills, but remember there are few markets for male writers, unless you are going to try to write for womens mags, so if you are aiming to get published do a bit of market research first. Buy and read the magazines you might like to write for and get a feel for their style, themes and story length. Send for guidelines and check out the W&A Yearbook before writing. Look out for competitions too - they tend to be more open to general themes and a small win can do a lot to boost your confidence.
  • Thank you all for making me feel so welcome on this site and in particular for your helpful advice. I will do my very best to put it to good use!

I think I'm going to enjoy this forum, speak to you all soon.
  • Hi Andrew :)
  • Hello. Welcome to Talkback!
  • Viv, you say there are few markets for male writers of short stories. I have considered, as a male writer, writing for Women's mags using a female 'pen name'  Is this allowed???  Marc
  • I see no reason why you can't write for women's mags and you probably would find it easier to choose a female name.
  • Hi Andrew, good to meet you!
  • Hello Andrew.
  • Hi Andrew and welcome!  I'm new to this, too, and have the same problem as you in trying to decide what to do.  So thanks for bringing this up and thanks also to those who gave their help.
  • Hi Andrew. I had the same problem as you when I decided that rather than dreaming of being a writer I'd actually like to achieve this ambition. I signed up for a writer's bureau course and found the help and advice invaluable. There's nothing like a tutor breathing down your neck to make you work to deadlines!!!

Also I can heartily recommend the book "The 3am Epiphany" which is full of short exercises that get the imaginative juices going.

Good luck with your writing!
  • Marc - no problem in using a woman's name for writing stories.  That's how I started. Used my wife's name for a feature which got accepted and ended up writing for that magazine for fifteen years using my own name.
  • Hi Andrew and welcome.
    I find the easiest way to 'just do it' is to imagine you have been asked to write something by a publisher/editor and then set yourself a deadline for that task. if, for example, you want to start on a story, set yourself a deadline of say three weeks to complete it. It's amazing how it then becomes a priority in your mind and you get on and do it. Best of luck and keeps us informed of your progress. Debs.
  • Welcome Andy on board to the HMS Talkback. You are among a like-minded crew so within reason, gripe, share your triumphs and failures, whatever, we will give you support. Talk about anything that grabs your fancy. After all it is still writing if one thinks about it although it is amazing how time flies.  I have to be strict with myself these days and be more productive.  I think sadly this is one of many reasons why I lost my place on my Writing College course - got a bit distracted so now I have drawn up a list of resolutions in thick black print.  However I am continuing to use the course material for now under my own steam to build up the foundations for my script writing course with Writer's News and maybe go back when this is finished or in the New Year although there is a lot of work to be done on the house,mum wants me to be moved upstairs. So if you are involved in a major project, be tough as well with yourself. That reminds me, I must get back to my real writing.
  • Nice to meet you Andrew - pull up a chair.