Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

fiction meets real life

edited July 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• just to see if this works first.
  • You have us intrigued now, Vijay
  • Perhaps this was just a test on which sucker would reply to Vijay's strange, first. Island Girl, of course! Do I win any chocolate for my trouble?
  • sorry guys- i have this long message which wont submit for some reason- i nearly got beaten up last night by three young men wearing hoodies! let me try again!
  • Dear friends, I nearly got beaten up last night! Fiction meets real life!

I was walking home from the train station at 11.30pm when three young men wearing dark hoodies started to follow me from a distance. I crossed over the road hoping to lose them, but they quickened their pace and crossed over to. This didn't look good! As i walked further I noticed the main road was deserted, before i could even blink they had suddenly surrounded me.
    One to my right shouted 'hand over the bag!'
    This was my shoulder bag that contained four chapters of my second novel, that i had been working on, perhaps it was this fact that made me say on the spur of the moment- 'You'll have to fight for it!' [how crazy is that!]

I raised my fists and they backed off, now i got a proper look at them, two were a little bit taller than me at six feet, aged around 20, the other was about 5' 6'' and looked hardly 17/18. One stood to my right, the leader, medium built, one to my left- and the youngest in the middle facing me. we were just three feet apart, now they raised their fists as well and spread out a little- at this moment a lot of things go through one's head. the leader to my right shouted, come we can take him! But the other two were still reluctant as we jostled like boxers for position,  myself being threatened from three sides.
    I said the bag only contains books!and then i took of my shoulder bag and put it on the pavement so that i could fight properly.
    The leader shouted again, ' give us your wallet!
    'You'll have to fight for it i said again! Crazy!

Thinking about it now part of the reason for my defiance was i hadn't been able to write too much yesterday and had then decided to read about one my favourite heroes Alexander the great ! in the library.

'Come on you shit houses! shouted the ring leader to his mates- we Can take him- but they still didn't dare; so the leader moved forward to hit me- i moved forward to return the blow- we were now only a few moments from a clash- when his mate grabbed the bag from the pave ment and ran- then the little guy ran and fell over in the middle of the road- which was funny- and then the leader turned and fled too!  all this incident took place in about 10 mins.

I called the police who took down the details and said it probably wouldn't be classed as robbery because they hadn't hit me! I said,is that so!

Ofcourse im happy to be still in one piece- but sad that i lost them 4 chapters- and i feel a lot better getting that of my chest! watch your back guys!
  • Are you SERIOUS, Vijay???? Oh Good Lord! You are so very lucky. And silly! But whatever possessed you to act with such bravado? I can't believe you've walked away in one piece. The chapters can be written again but your life is worth much much more, Vijay. I am SO glad you're okay but please be more careful. I don't know what else to say without making this into a mother-son lecture but please, please, please don't ever do that again. Sending my love to you as I know this must have really shaken you. Please stay safe.
  • Thank the Heavens that you are here to tell us the story. As IG siad, the first chapters don't matter. You're still here to rewrite them.

I find the attitude of the police disappointing, but sadly, they probably have so much on their plates that they have to prioritise.

What is more saddening is the society that we now live in, where you cannot walk down the street safely at night.

Take care of yourself.
  • I have to say congratulations for standing up to them although IG is right, no possession is worth more than your life.

WHAT!? Not a robbery? Of course it's a robbery - maybe not a mugging but definitely a robbery. I hate the way the police seem to put a value on dispicable crimes like this.
  • Vijay - I'm glad you're OK. Let's hope the b******s all get their come-uppance in the near future.
  • Oh Vijay! I hope you are not too shaken by this horrible experience and you were very brave to stand up to these thugs. Well done you, but sorry to hear you lost your manuscript in the process. You never know it might just turn up and go on to be a best-seller - in fact when you send out your querie letters to agents/publishers you should mention what you experienced in order to write that book!
  • So glad you are safe Vijay, and as said chapters can be reprinted. Thank goodness you weren't hurt.
  • Oh my goodness! You are mad and brave.
    It's funny how we react at these times and do mad things, which in retrospect seem a bit foolhardy.
    Two years ago when I was walking through the quiet market town of Horsham, where I lived at that time, near a quiet underpass at 11am in the morning I hasten to point out, this person (not sure if it was a man or woman as it happened so fast and they were in scarf and long coat)suddenly grabbed my hand bag. Well,luckily I was holding it quite tightly, He pulled and I pulled no way were they having it. I was just going to bring my leg up and kick them in the groin( I was surprised at that reaction!) when they let go and scarpered. I reported it to the police but nothing happened. Looking back I think I was mad holding on to it.They might have had a knife. There was not much in it really but something just made me so mad there was no way he was getting it.You just never know how you will react at such times. Glad you are safe.
  • Radames has said it all. Did anything that was stolen have your name &/or address? Take care.
  • Thank you everyone- i'm warming to you guys more and more. IG you can lecture me as much you like, i feel your love!
    And thanks again- will tell you have the police responded soon.
  • Oh Vijay, so sorry to hear your news but very glad that you're ok.
  • such bravery - misplaced but brave for all that, and shows you how much your writing meant to you too!  Glad you are all right.
  • Good for you. Although, if you had socked one of the little shits, and really hurt him as he deserved, you would probably be in more trouble than they would. This is blair/brown's britain after all. A nation of social workers.
  • Vijay, I am glad you were not injured - you were lucky and very brave.  Well done.
    May I suggest pressing the police for a crime number? Whether they class this incident as a robbery or not, it won't even be recorded without a crime number.
    Someone spiked my drink a few weeks ago and because I wasn't assaulted, and my friends carried me home, the police said there was no offence committed.
    I was poisoned and I’m still breastfeeding. NO OFFENCE! 
    They stole your four chapters and that’s a robbery of irreplaceable and original works of art if I ever heard of it.  I completely agree with Scratch (above) in that the police simply want to keep their statistics looking rosy.  I’ve heard that going into the police station and being a nuisance helps, as does using the magic phrase ‘victim of crime’, but I must say in honesty that it didn’t work for me. 
    Again, you were a little reckless but very brave.  Best wishes to you and karma to them.
  • What a horrible experience.I agree with all that has been  said above - it should be registered as a crime. What on earth is this country coming to when incidents like this are not considered to be criminal acts. Pleased that you are OK Vijay. Take care.
  • I hope you're okay Vijay. Your life is worth more than four chapters!
  • Legend Vijay, you're a blummin' legend. I wish I could have done the same when something similar happened to me a couple of years back. Unfortunately they weren’t interested in mugging me they just wanted someone to beat the living monkey-cheese out of. So they did, and I had to stand there and take it.

Makes me feel better to know some people stand up to these types though, nice one dude!
  • You`re a very lucky guy to have lived to tell the tale, Vijay! Sure, the "sensible" thing to have done would have been to just hand over the bag, and I`m sure we`ve all seen such things on TV and smugly, from the comfort of our armchairs, thought "why didn`t he just hand the thing over? He`d still be alive now." But, darn it, the sense of injustice and plain fury you get if someone`s trying to take something off you that you value just gets the better of you in a situation like that. I don`t think it`s just a male thing either, it`s all very stone-age and primeaval (I`m sure the females would have defended their caves and cooking pots).
    And, yes, Mr. Policeman, it IS robbery. Vijay is missing his bag!
    Have one of whatever it takes to calm your nerves, Vijay. Hope you`ve got that novel on your computer somewhere. And maybe one day this experience will be grist to your mill! Take care!
  • So many messages of support! Thanks once again, feel a whole lot better today- after plenty of whiskies last night with friends and family.
    Police response- after the young men ran I phoned the emergency services at 11.50pm from my mobile, I requested that they send someone quickly so that we might be able to catch them; she said its better I go home. I said I will wait on the road. 30 mins pass, no police. I phone again, she apologizes and says officers on the way. Another 15 mins pass- I decide to go home as no one comes.
    At 1.45 pm, officer comes to my house and wakes me up!

He is very courteous, apologizes for the delay and says that there are only 5 officers on night duty- blame the government. He seems like a good guy- I don’t want to argue with him. I request that I will give my full statement in the morning.
    Another officer comes in the morning, takes full statement.
    And adds this might be theft and not robbery.
    What is the difference?
    Theft, if the culprits are caught will mean a fine. Robbery- if they had hit you, then upto 4 months in jail.
    I said they were about to hit me if I hadn’t put up my fists.
    Funny part- he reads my statement back to me!

They said- hand over the bag.
    You said, you’d have to fight for it.

I shake my head in disbelief and trying hard not laugh!

Today I learnt its been classed as a robbery.
    Now hoping that someone hands in my bag.
    jay- just my name was on one of the chapters and some documents.
  • Like the others say, you were very lucky!  It could have ended badly, particularly in this day and age when respect for life does not figure highly in criminals' minds.  In the part of Scotland where I was working, two young men have just been sentenced to jail for robbing, beating up and then killing a man by burning him alive.  Your life is the most important gift you've been given.  And, dumb question, but did you save your work?  It sounds like you mostly handwrite, so maybe not.  Hope you have a more relaxing weekend!   
  • MDD lucky is the correct word- yes i do write in long hand with pencil, and then type it up. Luckily i had taken out the first 200 pages of manuscript and left it at home- but still ive lost 4 chapters about 40 pages, and now i will have to rewrite them. But in the context of someone getting beaten up and then burnt alive, its a small price to pay.
  • bored robots, you're a legend too. I can't imagine how awful it must feel to be in that position but the way you related it makes you an absolute legend in my eyes.
  • It did feel awful IK, even to this day it makes my blood boil to think what happened. Four guys all hitting me and the absolute gem of it all was the fact that three of them had no idea why, it was the first guy that I 'upset' by not diving off the public footpath when he flew towards me on his motorbike, I simply stepped to the side but stayed on the path. He threw his bike to the floor and started laying into me, my 10-week puppy ran off into the distance and he shouted for his three mates, who were out of view at the time. They all came charging round the corner and the main guy just shouts "get him!” So they did, but they didn’t know why. GAHHHH!! Makes me so angry to think I didn’t do anything, but I probably would have been mutilated if I had fought back. Oh and yes did get doggy back. The funny thing is he's an enormous fully grown German shepherd now, he was only kitty size at the time. Wonder if it would have gone down same way otherwise?? lol

Still can't beat Vijay's line "you'll have to fight for it". classic
  • Vijay, I'm really pleased you're okay. (Fiction meets real life??? Remember what happened to Mohan! Or maybe you hoped you'd wake up like Veer did with Seema mopping your brow!)
  • BR, I had a German Shepherd, sadly dead now, but I remember walking down the hall of my house one day and coming face to face with a complete stranger. Max, as always, was right beside me and I watched the expression on my intruders face change even as I could feel Max trembling (with fear)against my leg but as I inched forward with Max between my legs, the intruder inched backwards appologising for being in the wrong house. I get the feeling Max was a scared as I was but I know, without a doubt, that he would have protected me and, God forbid you should be in such a position again...but if you are I'm sure your grown up GSD will rip their cowardly hearts out.

I try not to buy into this violent world I supposedly live in but I have to admit to having a terrible fear that those I love will one day 'be brave'...and die. Sometimes bravery is knowing how stupid it would be to try and fight back
  • Thanks Howard- i should be so lucky with a pretty seema  hehe!

Bored robots- you seem like a cool dude, full stop!
    Isabella how scary is that having an intruder? glad u guys are okay.
  • I don't need a GS, or any kind of dog. I have a 5 ft nothing 7 stone daughter.  She woke me one night saying someone was in our house. They weren't, there is no way anyone can get in. We are double glazed and protected but he was on the flat roof, trying the windows.  She told me to stay put, threw some clothes on and shot out of the house. Apparently she found the guy in the street and went up to him, demanding "what do you think you're doing?" and he ran off!

There was also the time when someone was quite deliberately blocking my car, the guy was sitting in his car, grinning, wondering what 2 women would do when they couldn't drive out.  She leaned out of the car door, yelling "you going to get out of the way, or what? (followed by some incredible invective!) He got out of the car and came forward, menacing, "what did you say?" She got out and went toward him, repeating it all word for word.  At the same time I rolled the car forward until my bumper was against his passenger door ... he got in and drove off really really fast! You don't mix with my daughter, ever!
  • Hiya

We met at christmas. It's me Teresa :-)

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience and I am not going to say anythiing about standing up for yourself for good reason

I hope all is well

Teresa
  • I am fed up with not being able to go to the theatre on public transport without being aware that I have to watch out as to who is around me.  Does everyone think that the loss of respect for their elders has a lot to do with these muggings, etc?
    My generation 'respected' their parents and would never have done anything that would make them ashamed of us.
    Not all the younger generation, of course, are future muggers - I have some great kids at school, pre teens, I feel for them as they go out into this increasingly violent World.
  • I'm so sorry to hear about what happened, Vijay. Really pleased that you're okay. Like everyone says, the chapters can be rewritten. You are more important. That was so brave of you to do what you did, but extremely dangerous too. Do take care of yourself. I can't believe the police sometimes!! Stay safe.
  • There is a story in the papers today about a young man who has been shot because he asked some lads to put out their cigarettes, in a club.
    They shot him in the head and leg - he is brain dead and being kept alive on a machine.
    I HOPE THOSE WHO DID THIS CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT.
  • Apparently the guy was a bouncer/door staff at another venue nearby, and had gone for a quiet drink after work- according to our tv news.
    I don't think there's much that you can do about thugs like this except catch them, lock them up and never let them out. Unfortunately catching them is the almost impossible bit, unless someone who knows tells on them.
  • No CCTV cameras, then?
  • Very sad news that this doorman boxer who was shot is brain dead and his life support machine is going to be turned off.
    Very sad.
  • Jay, I doubt very much CCTV would have made a difference, anyway - they're rarely used for the reason the authorities give, which is perhaps why they don't care much about grainy pictures.

I hadn't heard about this poor bloke, but I feel for his family and friends - really, these people are sick in the head.  Lock 'em up.
  • I have another sad tale about violence and cigarettes. The fiance of a friend was stabbed outside the Paris Metro when he didn't give a cigarette when someone demanded one. He died from the wounds. He was a non-smoker.
  • Christ. Did they catch the person(s) who did it?
  • Sadly no. The story was even more poignant - his fiance was pregnant, and she discovered that the child was going to be handicapped. She kept the baby in order to remember the father.
  • There are some really 'sick' people in this world.