Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Getting on with it.

edited July 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I had to take a break from my usual writing routine yesterday.  Now I find I can't settle.

You wouldn't believe how many chores I have found in the last half hour that I simply had to do and three cups of coffee is a wee bit excessive.  If I was half as creative with my writing...

Any tips that don't involve glue and chairs welcomed.
  • I don't think there's any alternative than to get your head down and get stuck in until you manage to produce something.

I'm only taking a break whilst I think about my next sentence...honestly.
  • I'm just taking a break, the desk is littered with books and someone has just arrived with a suitcase full (for credit) all 143 of them, they all need putting away. So I made a coffee instead ...
  • Sometimes housework guilt and coffee are needed, rather than writing. Go with the flow and you'll be back to normal tomorrow.
  • Dorothy, do you sell second hand books?
  • Thanks Carol I think I'm going to have to give in for now.  All I managed is 163 uninspired words this morning. 
  • 163 words is still better than no words.  There might be some little gem in there that you can work with. 
  • Ive given up until Sep 5th (I need the fourth just to sit in the house in complete silence).
  • Do we have a built in desire not to finish????? My book was finished at a cracking pace and has gone through three edits, synopsis virtually written but now I seem to have a barrier to the finish and submit stage. I am not interested in any financial returns (I am old, retired and comfortably off).  I think that I just dont want to know if someone else thinks it is rubbish! I think my novel is brilliant so I am always finding oher tasks unimportant bits of writing, accounts, letters just to delay the day. What do you think?
  • Procrastination is the thief of ... the writer?
  • With Neph and I at the moment it's a case of sanity. We are both suffering from school holiday interuptus!
    Hark to the fight going on in the background between two of mine.
  • erotic second hand books, yes.  What the customer brought in was 143 of Olympia's books, our books.  Some I could do with, I jumped on them immediately, rare titles I can sell through the catalogue without trouble, as they come back in so rarely, the others will have to be found shelf space, eventually.  My hands are aching today, I will leave it until tomorrow.