Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Fictional locations

edited July 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• What advice would you give on location? 

I want to use a seaside area in my cosy type crime novel but I am now unsure about this. 

I know this has been used before but my storyline is completely different. 

I can see that using an existing area could be a problem.  Do I need to construct an entirely fictional place or can I use my version of a real area using a fictional name?

Can I slot a fictional place alongside somewhere real?
  • I think it's probably better to use a fictional place, otherwise you might unintentionally use the name of a person who is known to live in a real town and that could lead to problems!

You could put your imaginary place near a real town, but be vague about exactly how far away it is.
  • I love crime novels, and plenty that I've read use real places. Famous ones that spring to mind are Ian Rankin's Rebus books (set in Edinburgh) and Colin Dexter's Morse stories (Oxford). There are plenty of authors who use a real place and create a fictional name for it, as well as those who add fictional streets, areas and buildings into real locations.

I'd have thought to go with what feels right for you and for the story.
  • A real place is fine - just think of Morse in Oxford - but you will have to know it well, so you don't use imaginary streets or get from A to B too quickly cos you didn't know about the one way street system! Readers jump on inaccuracies with glee. A real place gives authenticity. Any doubt, use a made-up town.
  • In the past some writers used invented places and put a dash followed by 'shire', rather than commit themselves to a genuine town or county -  and sometimes they also avoided giving a particular year - eg:

"It was in the town of Blogton in the beautiful county of T----shire in the year of 18--."

Any idea why they were reluctant to commit themselves to time and place? Was it the fear of being sued for libel?
  • You could use the setting of the real place for convenience, but call it something else. This allows you to add places, roads etc that will work for your plot, but the original place gives you a suitable setting for description and layout.
  • I was going to say the same as Carol. I find it easier to visualise if I know the place and then give it a fictional name to save slip ups.
  • Is that really from Mrs Miggins or is it another blip in the system?!!
  • Hi Soobdo
    Take a leaf out of the Midsommer Murders and other series
    Midsommer Norton does exist, and a lovely place it is to however you will never hear of it - at least I think so - in the series

Frost - Denton does exist, but it is a suburb of Hyde in Cheshire

Morse - Set in Oxford

The list is quite long.
    I'm actually setting mine in and around Blackpool, I live just a 5 minute drive from the sea front
    Hope that helps
  • Jenny, It was me - suffering a brief identity crisis :) I hadn't even logged out from being me either.
  • Mine's set all over the place, mostly real, like East London/Essex plus certain venues for certain events that wouldn't happen anywhere else.  Why mess around with it?  You look at A Short History of Tractors.  She mentions Peterborough and other areas a few times.  Unless you are really dwelling on the area, then blow it, use the real one.  If you are dwelling on it and it's important, go and make a name up.  Err, that's not exactly the most difficult thing in the world for a writer.