Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in August's magazines?

edited July 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Who's in August's magazines? (I didn't think they were due out till Friday, but I got mine today.)

Please mention only yourself; and don't panic if you haven't got your copy yet.
  • I wondered where this posting was, Jay, my copies arrived this morning and are not yet opened.
  • hey thats not fair mine better be here today or the post man will hear me lol booo hooo:-(
  • stamping my foot with temper arms folded waiting at the front door for the post man la la la
  • its here all new and untouched magazine aww i love these days :-D
  • Mine thundered through the letterbox this morning - I plucked it from a pile of junk mail
  • mines not here what a bummer. i nead some inspiration today.
  • Just got back from the dentist, and my copy was here. They've obviously sent them out early to avoid the Royal Mail strike on Friday.
  • oh great. thanks for cheering me up carol.  i suppose that means i wont receive my magazine until well after the weekend now!  i suppose i shouldnt complain though, there is a lot worse in the world. 
  • Amanda, how many days does it usually take from the UK?
  • Mine's not here yet. June's arrived nearly at the end of June, July's arrived before the UK people received theirs. I suppose that now it's holiday time in France, I should expect August's in September.

Vive La Poste!
  • Mine arrived this afternoon. I had a quick flick through.
  • I have mine too.
  • My winning story 'Plenty more where she came from' is on pages 26/7.  I've been shortlisted in the past but never won before, so I'm over the moon.
  • Yes, I saw that and realised it was you. I enjoyed reading it well done!
  • Well done, Montholon. That was a challenging subject to write about.
  • A sad story well told. Well done, Montholon, and a good critique from Richard Bell.
  • I was shortlisted in the WM Valentine poetry competition. Rather pleased with that, as it's the first time I've ever got anywhere with a WM/WN comp. And as I've only ever written 3 love poems in my life!

Congratulations to Montholon too - I spotted your name in lights there!
  • Congratulations to everyone. Saw your story Montholon, but didn't want to congratulate you until you'd told everyone it was in. Well done.
  • Thanks, everyone, and congratulations to Amboline. It's great when Talkbackers are on a winning streak - makes up for all the disappointments along the way. 
  • Congratulations Montholon and Amboline!
  • well done !!
  • Congratulations to both of you! Shouldn't someone else be owning up?
  • Well done, Amboline.
  • Just read your clever poem - I won't ask if it's true, but 10/10, both for the poem and for taking a chance with an unusual theme.

As there are some overseas Talkbackers who won't receive the magazine for ages, could you put the poem on here to enlighten them?!!
  • My copy actually arrived today when it's always due to be delivered ma
  • Congratulations, Montholon and Amboline!  Mine arrived yesterday (and I'm usually one of the last in the UK to get the things) but I haven't read them yet.  Now, I'll pay special attention to Montholon's and Amboline's work.
  • Congratulations to you both!  I read the story (great)will get to the poem later.  No more time this morning, ran out of reading time before I simply had to go to work. Sob sob!
  • I'm confused now. I don't think my poem is actually published (unless they've put it on the website somewhere?) as I was only shortlisted, not a prizewinner. Has Jenny read something that I don't know about?
  • Sorry, Amboline - I allocated the third prize  poem to the wrong person! I didn't know your real name until a minute ago when I looked at your profile.
  • I was wondering about that.
  • Maybe WN/WM could find space for the winning and shortlisted entries on the website - until the next month's competition results take their place.
  • I think the problem with that Jenny is that then the work will have been published. That's fair enough for winning entries who receive a renumeration, but as someone who's been shortlisted, personally speaking I'd rather my story wasn't published on the website, because it means I can try it elsewhere.

Others may feel differently of course, and perhaps it's a choice we could be given.
  • Have to agree with SallyQ, if it appears it's going to make it ineligible elsewhere, and as said there'd be no financial gain.
  • In that case I agree that they shouldn't be put online.
  • Wonderful story, Montholon. Terrible but wonderful. Good on you for a job well done - you deserved the win.
  • ps. Just got my copies this morning. Do you have yours yet, Nenastew?
  • Great story Montholon. Well done.
  • Yes, it was a great story, really well done!
  • Agree with the others Montholon, very good story.
  • Still reading July edition!
    'The Luck of the Draw' by Ann Johnson was good, wasn't it?  A salutory tale in today's debt-ridden society.  Is the author one of our members?  If so, congrats - I especially liked the ref to CAB and their advice, my sister works for them and says she is constantly amazed at the deep financial holes her clients get themselves into.
    Well done to the winners featured in Aug mag, I shall get round to reading your story/poem eventually.