Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Can't find the terminology

edited July 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I'm not sure if any correct terminology exists for this but I'm looking for a word which describes the sticky out bits of a signpost, i.e. the bits which have the destintation on and point in its direction.
    I'm talking of the traditional white wooden signposts. Is there such a word?

cheers

Richie
  • I think it's arms, too
  • Thanks Jenny; arms sounds right to me but I don't recall any conversation where they were addressed in that way. Having said that, I don't recall ever having a conversation about signposts before either. I'll slot that word into the story and see how it flows.
    Cheers
    Richie
  • I bet there's a Shire publication about signposts - that would have all the correct terminology (pamphlet type books of about 60pp, lots of photos, on collectables and odd things like dove cotes, or post boxes).
  • On this website, Richie, they seem to be called 'guide arms' - if this helps.

http://www.ardingly.fsbusiness.co.uk/oakfpvs.htm
  • Originally they were called finger posts and had a crude hand carved on the end with a finger pointing the way. Some walking maps such as the Chiltern society poduct still refer to them as Finger Posts so I suspect they are properly fingers
  • Thanks everyone for this information. I like finger posts and fingers: I'll see how that reads.

cheers