Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Cleaning computer screens

edited July 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• My screen has got a few dirty marks and smudges- how they got there I don't know- and apart fropm dusting it, what the best way to clean the screen without damaging it?
  • I've got a bottle of screen cleaner here on the desk, I think it's best to use the right stuff if possible.  The static the monitor generates attracts all sorts of dirt!
  • What kind of screen do you have? Flat-screens are quite sensitive to touch, I've been told.  If you have the old-fashioned type of monitor, you can clean it with pretty much anything other than brillo pads.
  • I use widowlene on my laptop, it doesn't seem to have an ill effect
  • OK - who believes that?!!!
  • Not me.
    It's a flat screen, so I know you have to be careful, that's why I was wondering if there was a particular substance that was best to use. Also where am I likely to find it?
  • It is absolutely true. I just give the screen a spray of windowene, wipe it off, no problem.
  • I bought some special computer screen wipes from
    Staples they are good for the tv screen too.
  • While you're cleaning your pc Carol, pick up your keyboard and very gently shake it upside down. You'll be *shocked* at how much stuff falls out from between the keys... well, I was anyway! :)
  • ^^ I think there was a whole new eco-system forming in mine last time I did that!!!
  • I agree with kateyane: if you have a Staples (or any other computer dealer like Comet, Currys) near you it is always advisable to get the proper article designed for the job.

Using the wrong solvent can cause irreparable damage. Manufacturers will have done testing. Glass and plastic react very differently to some solvents.
  • Katy - I took your advice, turned the keyboard upside down and patted it. Surprisingly not too many crumbs fell out of it - but the screen turned itself off!
  • I have a small brush for dusting around the keys, and some little cleaning stick things from Lakeland which are great for getting into awkward spots.
    The packaged cleaning wipes for kitchen surfaces are okay for the surface of the keyboard.
    I'll have to look for something suitable.
  • I've got a slight improvement in screen cleanliness at the moment. I tried the spray windolene, sprayed onto a piece of kitchen roll and gently wiped over the screen. Okay so far.
  • Please! Please! DO NOT use windowleen or any other foreign muck (and I mean non-proprietary cleaners) to clean flat screen monitors. Have found to my costly mistake not worth it, especially laptops mine needs a new screan and my cheapest quote has been £375.00 and the decimal point is in the right place :-(
    Also if the screen is under warranty bang goes the warranty, because there technicians will be able to detect the cleaner used.

Buy a cover for it, I actually use a so naff Pot Towel that we had bought us once. Then use those dust n go wipers - the ones not soaked in any polish and give a very light dusting . This will keep it nice and sparkly, oh and if possible keep out of direct sunlight, this will also improve clarity
  • Sorry forgot. Keep your fingers off the screen, and if you are going to sneeze - turn away from it :-))))))))))
  • Yep! Screen wipes all the time. I have to clean 30 in the suite when lots of very mucky little hands have been poking around in many different orifices and then poking the screen - don't get me started on cleaning the mice!!! The things I pick out of those are much to grim to mention.
  • Should add I only used a very light spray on the tissue so it was just damp, before wiping across the screen lightly.
    I'll certainly go and get the correct stuff this week.
    My problem is dust in the mouse- under the ball bit- so I carefully remove the debris with a dampened cotton bud, whenever it starts to be awkward to move it around.
  • Hi carol
    The only solution to that is get a one of the ball-less mouses type things. I suffered a lot with that and got one of the LED type.
  • A few people have said they're good, what do you think of them.
    With my kids, I'd be concerned that I'd have to keep asking where they'd moved it- because it isn't attached by a wire.
  • Hi Carol
    Brilliant, never let me down they are really reliable
    It's not the wireless type, my comp won't take them anyway
    You can by them with USB or or the round type connector, can not think of the name of the connector now, mines the round type connector

I also use a Wacom Pen Tablet, but they are mainly for graphics and photo editing etc. This does have a wireless mouse but I never use it
  • Thanks IT. Maybe I'll try one later on.
    One of my sons wanders off with the remote control for the tv, or puts it down somewhere, and it then gets knocked over/down/off of where he's put it.Sometimes it can be lost for a whole day, until we just happen to find it. Annoying to say the least.