Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Beware the spell checker

edited June 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Just thought you might like to read this

Eye have a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plain lee marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write.
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    and eye can put the error rite.
    Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect awl the weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.
  • Love it
  • That's wonderful.
  • How funny - Thanks for sharing this !
  • Excellent! Thank you.
  • That is the whole point Mandy, there is nothing wrong with the very clear piece you have written. Of course the words are not the ones you wanted but they are all correctly spelt. You have asked the computer if the spelling of each word you have typed is correct. Quite rightly your machine has checked each one for you and said yes, did you hope it would ghost write your piece for you? Many times pople complained to our help desk that their computer has don what they told it to not what they wanted it to do
  • i didnt think anyone would ghost write anything for me. This is just a daft poem that somebody sent to me and i thought i would share it with the talkbackers, Its not meant to offend or upset. It is just meant as a bit of fun.
    I shan't post anything more in future.
  • Mandy, I think CH got the wrong end of the stick, so to speak. It wasn't a criticism.
    Please, these type of fun things brighten up all our lives, so if you come across anything else do post it here, we all enjoy them.
  • I think it's very clever!  Will pass it on to my literary-minded friends.
  • Mandy - the poem's so good it was published in one of the writing magazines. I have it cut out (but have again misplaced it).

Please say you're not leaving us.
  • Mandy, well posted! You lightened a few people's day. However, you also illustrated the fact that when you include humour in your writing you tend to upset some of your readers. That's a price we should all pay occasionally though and let those who miss the humour read flatter writings.
  • Er ... is that Stirling?
  • Stirling? I think the answer is no. ;-)
  • Eek! My day for dropping clangers. Just seemed to be a lot of new people here.
  • Sorry Mandy if my reply sounded critical it wasn't meant to be. It is just that I have seen that piece so many times always aimed at showing the computers failings. I felt it worth pointing out that your PC is very oedient and does just what you tell it
  • Wouldn't normally point out a spelling mistake but yours is so eloquently placed
  • Okay sulk over if you werent having a go at me. Apology accepted Crazy Horse. Had a lot of shit going on in my life at the moment as discussed on another thread and at the moment i am just so tired and waiting for an operation. i have said before that i'm taking things to heart far too much and that poem was the first thing to cheer me up in days. i had never read it before and just wanted to brighten someone elses day as well. let's forget i stropped off and stay friends :) Thanks to everyone else for posting in, lovely comments
  • Mandy - I hope things start improving for you soon.
  • Nothing worse than being on a waiting list.
    All friends again. So drop in whenever you need to.