Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help! i've fallen by the wayside!

edited October 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• so there i was,back in July, full of entusiasm for this fantastic website, logging on every day for my fix.

what happened? 3 months later, and i havnt been back here for weeks. not even turned the computer on. :{

i think i have been so engrossed in being a mummy, and enloyed summer so much, that time has whizzed by. i am now feeling guilty, as the writing has taken a back seat too, didnt feel any inspiration, apart from keeping my journal during a trip to Tunisia last month.

So, i took a deep breath, and started an evening course last week, on writing stories and novels.  keeping my fingers crossed that i will get my creative juices flowing again.

have any of you lovely people out there been distracted by events in your life? would love a bit of encouragement or advice to keep going.
  • Don't feel guilty. Children are important. So is having a lovely summer. Sometimes a rest from writing can do you good.
  • I had stopped writing for a bit and have not given my input on talkback but I am back into the swing of things. I have enrolled on some courses at college: creative writing, finding your voice and writing a novel. I have just wrote a chapter outline for my novel set in world war two about a boy who gets evacuated to Wales. I am not going to let any distractions in any more because I mean business.
  • Just to let everyone know that my name is not wabo but it is kellywilliams. God knows what has happened to my profile it seems to have disappeared. Heeelllpp
  • sorted I hope!!!!!
  • Don't worry Mummymorts, I have the same problem in the summer. In a way it is good to be forced to have a break, but by the last week of the summer holidays I am itching to get time to write.
    Even now I have times when there is a lack of creativity because I'm dealing with stressful family things. But once things get back on an even track the creativity returns.
    Just because you aren't 'writing'everyday, it doesn't mean you aren't doing useful things.
    I don't think we realise how much we absorb in these times. Writers become observers in an unconscious way, and I'm sure if you think about it there were incidents and surroundings that you saw and noted on paper and in your brain.
  • Hi Mummymorts!

I agree with Carol, there will probably have been incidences which you could use in your writing (and you did keep a journal in Tunisia, so that should have potential ideas). Try not to feel guilty - at least you have joined an evening class and I'm sure you will get back into it again. I haven't got children, but I can still get distracted. I may watch tv instead of writing, or play on that Sims 2 computer game, or chat on the phone to friends. Then I just try and get back into it again. I think it's all normal.
  • Now just see here Mummymorts,

Savour "being a mummy" enjoy and treasure every nuance your offspring develops. Throw out "feeling guilty" it has no purpose and will only confuse your vision.

Parents need memories, especially of their childrens formative years, in order to survive ordeals "the little darlings" test us with in their developing years. Too many parents make the mistake of toiling to provide FOR the family at the detriment of actual time spent WITH the family. Traditionally it was we men but modern life imposes the rigour upon as many women, thus forming of our children's character is missed by so many.

Take advice from us "older" Talkbackers and enjoy this time. Such few years of delay will provide huge quantities of material and inspiration for many years of wordsmithing.

Wallow your indulgence, keep in touch and should there be the occasional salivation of creativity, go with the flow.
  • I echo that MM - enjoy your baby.  My baby has just been for a visit and managed to scrounge Sunday lunch (he's 40).  Believe me the pre-teens are the best years you'll have. 
  • Follow the above advice and enjoy your special role of 'Mummy'.  Time passes all too quickly; you'll have plenty  of time to write when the  children have left home or even when they're older.  Remember to note down any funny or peculiar sayings with which they come up, to make you smile in the future.  I remember our son saying that Kathy Curvy (Kirby - that dates me), was on television.  Unfortunately, I didn't write down most of his or his sister's funny observations at the time.     
  • thank you all for those lovely encouraging comments. in the back of my mind i know its true that i should not feel guilty and enjoy every minute. and i do.
    i'm lucky that im not working (surviving on hubby's meagre earnings)so therefore i think i should have more time to write. but am too distracted watching the delightful 15 month poppy being fascinated with her world and keeping her busy. its great being a mum, and i am storing up the memories.

and yes, the course is good; having a set evening to concentrate on being creative is great. i cant make excuses like i would if i was at home!
  • Hello Mummymorts, your last post, where you talk about watching Poppy(?)being fascinated with her world,reminded me of something. A writing tutor once said that small children are open to new experiences and are absorbed by everything (sticks, mud, holes in the ground..). She went on to say that we should try to recapture that sense of wonder and view the world through the eyes of a two year old. You have your very own expert right there in the house! Enjoy! And as previously said, don't forget to note down the things she says because kids are hilarious. I remember my nephew roundly telling me off for helping him to climb a wall when, as he said, "I can do it by my own!"
  • Hello Mummymorts, your last post, where you talk about watching Poppy(?)being fascinated with her world,reminded me of something. A writing tutor once said that small children are open to new experiences and are absorbed by everything (sticks, mud, holes in the ground..). She went on to say that we should try to recapture that sense of wonder and view the world through the eyes of a two year old. You have your very own expert right there in the house! Enjoy! And as previously said, don't forget to note down the things she says because kids are hilarious. I remember my nephew roundly telling me off for helping him to climb a wall when, as he said, "I can do it by my own!"
  • Take comfort, sometimes external pressures sometimes have to take precedence, however much we wish to write. The other day, one of my wardrobes[small one] started to collapse so I wedged a plastic box against it protemp until I had time to do something serious about it. Yesterday I tackled the problem, with bit between the teeth, I dismantled it as I could see no prospect of repairing it but then it was one of those plywood jobs which I had for twenty years or more. I told myself that there was nothing else for it as I had the wardrobe since 1982 so it really did not owe me much with 2006 vanishing fast. Yes I had to take out the clothes and the shoes and do a sort out, to say nothing of the muck that had gathered. Also the box stand my father made some years ago before he died, is an excellent temporary depository for shoes - shan't say how many but a case of Imelda Marcos, come in. No, it had to go, made the Leaning Tower of Pisa look upright - in fact it was decidedly dangerous. Tomboy
  • hey, its only taken me nearly 6 months to get back to this site!

and the reason? i found out just after i posted that message, that i am pregnant again! it sent my brain all doolally, and i had a total fog up there for ages, so no wonder i couldnt concentrate to write! plus, i've had anemia, and poppy wasnt sleeping too well. its a wonder i made it to the evening writing classes at all!

so here i am, with 6 weeks to go til new arrival bursts into the world, am on the old iron tabs, lil one just about sleeping through, and i feel i've just come to life again, creativly.

absolutly loved the writing course, in fact did a second term, which has just finished. it really got those creative juices flowing, and being among like-minded people, just like all you lovely talk-backers, helped in bouncing ideas off each other.
    i hate the fact its finished now, but my workbook is stuffed to overflowing with half-finished stories, ideas, characters etc, and a few finished pieces too.

its a pity i wont be able to do much writing after end of may.
    am keeping up my journal, full of poppy observations, and all sorts of ideas that pop into ones head at odd times.
  • Congrats lucky you wish I was going through all that again! I am now waiting for my first grand child to arrive in July.
  • Congratulations Mummymorts!
  • Congratulations! Another great source of articles, stories, anecdotes for readers' letters ...
  • Wonderful news - and wonderful to hear how you've been getting on.  We all look forward to No 2 arriving - ooh lucky you, I miss having a baby around - youngest grandchild is now a teenager and not given to granny cuddles too often, especially if his mates are around.
  • You are truly a fallen woman! Congratulations (and apologies if my lame attempt at a joke has offended you).
  • Congratulations and best wishes for No 2's arrival. 
  • Good luck with the imminent delivery.
  • Congrats, MM. Great news!
  • thank you, thank you.

am looking forward (with slight trepidation at the thought of two under 2, it has to be said) to new arrival.

meantime poppy is keeping me entertained. she proudly showed off her new word around the supermarket this morning, loudly proclaiming bu**@r to other shoppers. needless to say, i got out of there as quick as i could! (after trying not to snigger out loud!)
  • Excerpt from The Sunday Express: "Malcolm Stent ... an exponent of clean [comedy] ... started his professional ... career at the Boggery in Birmingham."
  • Congratulations MM, wonderful news!
  • excellent, jay! bit of a freideun slip there, i think? (sorry if spelling is wrong, brain switching off now its past 10pm!)
  • Well you've done it again Mummymorts,

Just had to conjure a different version of child development for your research.

Congratulations, now you may look forward to twin perambulators, double trouble and triple the washing. No that is not a mistake, when our two (twelve and a half months apart) attained certain stages of development they goaded/encouraged each other's prowess to cause chaos.

Now with another generation born, I am able to indulge that wonderful spectator sport of Grandfather and watch my children learning to cope with antics of their own offspring.

Sorry Betsie, don't mean to rub it in but little grandchildren are soo cuddly. I know it is a shortlived episode of life's multi-coloured tapestry.
  • On that topic, Mummymorts, just consider, it could be much worse- triplets- 28 bottles a day, 15-20 nappies a day. Need I say more.
    Good luck.
  • How is Mummymorts? Has anyone heard from her?
  • No IG. I expect she's up to her eyes in imminent delivery or nappies.
  • We're pacing up and down Mummymorts - waiting for news.  Are you Mummy-Mummymorts yet?
  • One of our employees wives was due yesterday and he keeps text messaging with jokes or little comments just to stir us up. Everytime the mobile bleeps we all yell, "It's Ross. This is it." But it isn't. Hmmmm. He deserves quads for that.
  • Good Heavens, more floor pacing awaiting news of another "friends" results.

How long before Mummymorts recovers composure sufficient to remember we are all awaiting opportunity to share her latest news?
  • And I will be a Granny, in about two to three weeks!
  • Won't be long Kateyanne.
  • No, there haven't been any births to members before, that we've been told about.