Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Attachment problem- help

edited June 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I have a writing friend who can't read my version of Word, so I need to send them as an RTF. (I've done this with my online editor without a problem)but I'm having problems when I try to attach the rtf version to the e-mail to my other colleague.
    I'm finding everything is normal until the box with the loading attachment message appears- then it goes on for minutes and minutes before timing out.
    Any ideas, or possible ways to attach the documents (without using the Browse, selecting the item from My Documents and clicking on the open sign on the box that comes up before returning to the loading attachment page-when the trouble starts)
  • I recently sent two reviews but the editor could not open them, so he asked me to send them in the actual email. Can you do this? Or is the document too long?
  • Yes, one of them is three pages long, but I may have to send it that way, unless someone else has any suggestions.
    Thanks Stan.
  • Carol, if your Word is a newer version than your friends, then you should be able to save your document in a format compatible with her version. When you get the 'save' options box, there's a window at the bottom which says 'save as type' - the drop-down menu lists all the previous Word incarnations, and a few other options. (If it is an older version than hers, she should be able to open the document anyway).

The timing out suggests that the RTF document is too big, although I don't understand why. Have you saved it as RTF in Word, or have you tried cutting and pasting it into Notepad?
  • Anyanka. As you described in the first part, that's what I do.

I type my document in Word, save a copy in Word, then save a second time as an RTF VERSION from the drop-down box. Previously I've done this and been able to attach to e-mails without problem. But for some reason it either thinks it's too big or just gets stuck loading for some reason.
    I just can't understand why it has only started doing this now.
    (My version of Word is older than my friend's version.)
  • Nenastew, that's made me wonder, my server updated some of the anti-virus software Friday night, so I wonder if it was something in there that is giving me trouble.
    But thanks for the suggestion anyway, I'll look later on when things are quiet.
  • I send 40,000 word books as attachments in RTF, don't have a problem, so it must be a server thing, Carol.
  • I'm beginning to think it may be something my server has done. I'll have to investigate,and e-mail them.
    Thanks Dorothy, it helps to know you are sending RTF okay.
  • Carol,you could save your document as a PFD - a portable file document - do you have this facility? This is OK if your friend does not need to edit what you send.
  • No I don't seem to have that facility. That is what my friend uses on his computer. If it's on mine, I don't know where.
  • Serif Pageplus allows you to save documents as PDF. However, they can't be edited.
  • Thanks for this, I've been checking out my system with microsoft this evening, so I'll check my system out.
  • Carol, did you eventually send the attached documents?