Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Need Suggestions for a Kick up the B**

edited June 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Okay so my writing career is not doing so good...so I'm thinking that my strategy is a bit off.

What kind of things did you do, or are you doing, to push your career?
  • looked long and hard at what I could do. Where were my strengths, where were my weaknesses.  I could write with authority and lightness on religious topics, so turned to that, writing many 50-75 word filler items for Parish Magazine services, articles on relationships, sold well in the States.  Accidentally got pushed onto the path of educational work, did that for some time.  I ignored what I do not know, romance, sport, male things in general.  Take a long look at your life, what do you know best? What are your interests, your beliefs, your thoughts? Can you write on any of these topics? If so, seek out the magazines, try a few readers' letters and a few short articles.  It works.  Readers' letters, as featured in WM recently, do earn money, I earned a lot that way, especially if matched with a photo, funny signs, oddities in gardens, that kind of thing. Go look!
  • dorothyd said it all really.  how about a fantastic list!  i love lists, i made a list once of all the lists i had in my book!  what about going through your book shelf and writing 5 key words from each dust jacket and see what you come up with.  or randomly pick a page in the news paper and pick out all the characters re name them and put them on a desert island or something. free the mind beavers!unlock that dam!  another thing  i did when i was back in the uk was to go to the magazine shop and buy a copy of everything that looked interesting. (sounds frivalous but i live in france and dont get the chance much) it did help to find new markets that i had never thought about and of course WN AND WM they are fab.  go for it.  your an amazing person.
  • Maybe you are approaching your writing from the wrong direction. I can't put it as elelantly as Doothy, but an artist must create and a writer must write wheather anyone reads or buys it is not the point. There are many openings for  proffesion or career in writing via journalism, reporting etc but it not the same thing as being driven to write. That is having somthing to say that you have to say it.
  • Thank you for the advice people.  i think half of my problem is I am going through what i affectionally call my 'mid-life' crisis.  A lot of my previous interests were not really mine, but almost forced upon me by association with family and friends.  one example -  for years i was a golf widow, so ended up taking it up just so I could be a part of hubbies life on a sunday.

It's only recently I dropped the stuff I am not really that bothered about and I have taken up new interests (that are all mine!) butI don't feel I am knowledgeable enough to write about them authoratively. (unless of course, I write about them from a beginners point of view.

plus my genre is not particularly fashionable at the moment...so maybe a lull is expected (sigh).

Amanda your enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air!  thanks :D
  • starpanda, it sounds like you have loads to write about!  i wonder how many other people like you are golf widows?  maybe they would like to hear how you delt with it and the consequenses.  what about an article about your self discovery?  i am sure there are so many people stuck in a rut who would like the benefit of your experiences.  find out some facts - what about contacting local library and finding out what leisure groups are in your area and writing a local article about breaking free and doing something else? go bigger and do a national article - woman magazine something like that may be interested in this sort of thing.  i think you need to look at what you have done from the other side of the fence! write about your jail break! keep the faith!
  • A change is as good as a rest. Write something completely different from your usual stuff. I have recently had a break from fiction and written some magazine articles - sold all 3 in only three weeks. Or find a supermarket competition that needs a slogan. That really concentrates the mind - saying something stunning and to the point in only 12 words! My best slogan was 18 words long and won me a prize worth over £1200.
  • Amanda, how do you get hold of UK mags in France? Can`t get many here in Germany, only if I go to Cologne Station, and all you get there is stuff like "Chat", "Hello" and "Woman`s Own". I too go crazy when I`m in a WHS - the choice is amazing.

StarPanda - don`t give up. Do something other than writing. You`ll get ideas that way. It works for me...
  • Jany, i cant buy anything here at all.  I went back to the uk for a week and got what i could then.  sometimes i ask people to send me a copy as the post isnt too expensive as a one off.  but its soooo frustrating.  i would love a wh smith next door! if i am ever good enough to go to heaven i hope they have a HUGE one!
  • Thanks again...yes maybe a piece on 'How i got out of my rut', might be of interest to magazines.

Getting magazines in germany and france...most Uk magazines offer a subscription service...maybe that's the way to go.  Take a look at the bit in the magazine where they give the credits for the writers and editoral staff...they tend to keep subscription info there.
  • Hi Star P. When I'm stuck for ideas I like to thing of 'What if...' situations, so as an example, what if a woman who became a golf-widow took up golfing so that she could see her husband, only to discover that she was a natural at the sport and wins competition after competition? Alternatively, as previously suggested, if you are writing non-fiction, you could always write about your own experiences. For example; a diary called The Golf-Widows Club, or Surviving a Mid-Life Crisis. Hope that helps Sp. xxxx
  • hey I love that idea about the golf widow who becomes so good at golf she wins comps and beats her husband! Imagine what that would do to the marriage? What about a golf widower?

StarPanda I swear if I were nearer to you I'd be up there with a boot myself! You do so much on the WB to help and motivate others and yet can't motivate yourself. *sigh* look who's talking!
  • I've been mapping out some possible articles on reaching a certain age...so a big thank you to you all.  I would like to be a little different with it...I've been following the conversations on the 'negative life story' thread and on the various'poitivity breeds positivity' threads...The things I'm thinking of writing could so easily become a series of tales of woe (YUK)...so I'm going to practice what i preach and do the articles with a 'get out there and be positive' slant.  How does that sound?

Josie...I know...but working on WB isn't like writing stuff...its fun...besides your the most motivated person i know...you seem to be doing all kinds of fascinating stuff.

I have another question...sorry talkbackers...I have a My Space, like a lot of people...but I would like to use it as part of my self - marketing strategy...anyone got any ideas?