Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help with a character name...

Comments

• I'm writing a novel for children and am unable to come up with a satisfactory name for a misserable old biddy who owns a village shop and has a long gray hair sticking from a wart on her chin...hope people can come up with suggestions! Thanks.
  • As soon as I read the discription - Midgeward came to mind. Mrs Argmintine Midgeward.
    Well it is different.
  • Would have to be a Miss with a character like that.
  • Same initials but different name - Agnes Mildew.
  • I'm trying to think of a name, but in the meantime I'd like to suggest that the character does not seem worthy of a first name. I quite like Mrs Midgeward. Or Midgewort, even.
  • Marjory Dimplebottom.  No, wait, that sounds more like a pleasant old lady with silver hair in a bun, sitting by a fireplace knitting.  With kittens playing at her feet ... What about Ermintrude Bogsbottom? 
  • What about Miss Hortensia Hemlock?
  • That's a good un!
  • Well I am liking the sound of Emintrude Bogsbottom...yes, very much so. Well, here is an extract using that name

“You wouldn’t believe the heap of rubbish that old bag said to me, Madeline.”
    “You mean Miss.Bogsbottom,” Bob corrected with a sly grin, while poking at a raisin stuck between his two front teeth. Mum waved a hand half-heartedly. 
    “Yes, well, whatever her official name is. Anyway, she claimed not to take Visa, MasterCard or cheque, only cash in hand. I mean what on earth does she think most people shop with now a day? Stones? You know what? I bet she had a swipe and pin machine anyway, and she just hid it the moment that she saw me approaching. Oh and how could I forget to tell you about THE SPOT?” Mum’s eyes widened in glee. “Do you want to hear about it? It might put you off your food so…” However, before any of us had the chance to protest, Mum launched into a full-blown description; “She had the most enormous black hair, it must have been at least 2 inches long, sticking from this manky, yellow, puss filled spot on the end of her blackhead covered, beaky nose.” Madeline put down her half eaten mince pie and pushed the plate away, her face contorted with disgust. “I just wanted to pull my tweezers from my bag and yank it out there and then. I can honestly say that it was the most revolting sight I have seen in a very, very, very long time.” Mum shuddered. “And when I say beaky nose I mean think those damn awful fake witches noses that you can buy at Halloween only…” Bob pushed back his chair, stood up and clapped loudly.
  • I like the that she doesn't deserve a first name too. Hmm, choices!
  • Loved the excerpt. Can't wait to hear the first name.
  • Oh dear, I was just enjoying a jacket potato with cheese. Yuk.

Nice little passage though, MM. Carry on!
  • I've been having a random selection look, and wondered whether you did anything with the story or the name MM?