Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Filter-ed out e-mail messages

edited May 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Can anyone help with a problem I have sending e-mail messages that are rejected by an automatic filter?  It doesn't highlight the words it objects to and some of my e-mails come back time and time again.  I go through them with a fine tooth comb in case I've inadvertently said something that could be misconstrued and thus cause the e-mail to bounce back.  I've just spent three quarters of an hour trying to send a message to a friend and all I'm doing is trying to describe my elderly parents, who are rather poorly.  Nothing unsuitable at all.  Does anyone know of any way I could get the filter to identify exactly which bit of my message it objects to?
  • I think it has to do with the recipients server- nothing you do wrong.
    Our club has an e-mail list to send out important notices or competition info and such.
    Two of us have the complete list, and if I send a message out, I always get the same person's message returned.She has no idea why. My friend's e-mails go through to them without a problem.
    It may be that your friend needs to put your e-mail address on their 'safe list'.
    Sorry can't suggest anything else.
  • is it the words or your address?  I don't ever stop to check my words with emails, and the only time I have problems is trying to send to NTLworld, who are the worst in the world, I think.  I had an email rejected many times and the friend who is on NTLworld cannot send an email to me at my gmail address but can to my Yahoo address.  I think it is the server which is the problem, not the words.  The only time emails were rejected was when my business was sending erotic books as attachments and the servers didn't like the titles! So I changed all titles to codes and got round it that way.  Try checking out the server rather than automatic filter problems, it is probably not your words but their system which is at fault.
  • Thank you Dorothy and Carol for taking the trouble to reply.  The problem seems to be, as you say, with the server of the recipient of the e-mail, rather than my own server.  I managed to send the offending e-mail to myself with no difficulty.  I suspect my intented recipient has some sort of extra filter to protect her children, which I don't possess.  It was quite a pleasant surprise getting an extra e-mail yesterday.  I'll have to do this again on days when no one has written to me.
  • I once sent out a group message to around 30 old schoolfriends and it bounced back from 3 of them.  It seemed to be due to a couple of words - innocent in the context - that their filters objected to.