Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What's 'see you later' in Italian?

edited May 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Anyone- can you tell me what the phrase 'see you later' is in Italian?
    I have a character saying this in an e-mail (trying to impress someone)
    The online dictionaries I consulted haven't helped much.
    Thanks.
  • Isn't it just ciaio?
  • or 'ci vediamo?'
  • 'A più tardi' - according to my phrase book.
  • This is one for Jo Lindsall I reckon.
    Come on Jo!
  • That helps a lot thanks. Now I just need to find the keys that let me put the accent in above the u.
    Would they be in the symbols?
    Sorry this sounds a silly question, but I don't have much cause to use them.
  • Or Jo Linsdell even.
    Sorry Jo
  • I've sent an e-mail to Jo via Webbo.
    Thanks for the suggestion Courierjohn.
  • For the accent, try holding down Alt + 151 on the Num Lock keys.  I've got a whole list that I could scan and send to you (or anyone else)if you'd like it.  I don't think I can send attachments through the Talkback system, although someone may know better?  If not, email me directly or through my site and I'll get back to you.  www.maggiecobbett.co.uk
  • The good old 'arrivederci' literally means 'see you again', same as 'au revoir'. Bit old-fashioned perhaps, I take it you are looking for something more informal.
  • When I lived in Italy it was always Ciao or often to a girl/woman Ciao bella!
  • Even in London, people say Ciao.
  • My character (male)has only 'spoken' by e-mail to the the other person (female)and is trying to be 'cool' and impress her in advance of seeing her that evening at the local Italian restaurant-hence the see you later in Italian.
    The theme is identity, and the story involves a dating agency and betrayal.
  • Why not have him do exactly as you did. If they are trying to be cool have them look it up and palm it off as some knowledge of the language they pretend to possess.

I don't know if he's going to slip up and be caught out or if it is the other way around but the misinterpretation could be a clue to either scenario.
  • That has already been set up with the viewpoint of the story. He is the guilty party, but it will be open to the reader to decide who was in the wrong. But the manipulation of identities is crucial.
    Thanks for the tip Montholon, I'll e-mail you via Webbo's system, and you can use my e-mail for the attachment.
  • Carol, the sheet of accents is on its way as an email attachment. Please let me know if it doesn't arrive for any reason.
  • Arrived, and I've replied. Thanks.
  • If you say 'Ciao, bella!' to her, she may slap your face!
  • Hi Jay, so good to hear from you.
    Now explain, why might she slap his face?
  • Thanks, Carol. 'Ciao, bella!' may be a bit too informal - possibly not the sort of thing to use on someone you'd like to see again. It used to be akin to a wolf-whistle - but that was a while ago, so maybe things have changed.
  • For my character that sounds just the sort of thing he'd say. Thanks Jay.
    ( I thought about using Ciao originally, but it wasn't right, but adding bella to it would work.)
  • Double-check current usage with a native Italian speaker just to be on the safe side!
  • I e-mailed Jo Linsdell as she is in Italy- via Webbo's system, but no response yet.
  • The Italian Tourist Board in London might be willing to help. There's a "contact us" option and telephone number on:

http://www.italiantouristboard.co.uk/it/ind/i5.html
  • Thanks Jenny that is very helpful. I'll contact them, thanks again.