Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Reluctant complaint

edited May 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• On YouWriteOn you get used to taking the rough with the smooth. Some of my harshest critics have helped me most. However, just when I'm trying to improve my points average to get back into the top 5 I get a review which marks me right down. I've reluctantly complained on the grounds that the points were awarded on the reader's prejudice against immigrants forced into prostitution rather than the quality of writing. I'm feeling unsure of this so if anyone wants to give their interpretation of this review I'd appreciate it. (If Im wrong, please say). The site policy is for constructive reviews. I have not reviewed this person's book.

This was a difficult book for me to review. The story is extremely well told and is clearly authentic, but my sythpathy for The Slave (we do not know her real name) wained after only a few pages and I had to force myself to read on.

Perhaps it was the diary form of the narrative, but I think it more likely that when The Slave became Esperanza, she lost her vulnerability. She is certainly good at her job. Silvia, a seasoned professional, had 1,500 Euros for the Jefe, but we believe Esperanza has much more - yet she has only been on the streets for two weeks.

We are used to diary entries at least every few days, yet towards the end of Chapter Three entries stop for eleven months. The story resumes without any indication what had happened. By that time, I didn't care.

To be frank, I found this book depressing. Everyone is aware that tens of thousands of Africans risk their lives in the hope of securing a better future in the West. The Slave's Notebook is another sad story about that plight.

Call it emotional fatigue if you like, but I do not want to read anymore about it and will not buy this book. 
  • Hiya Howard, are you an expat living the good life in Spain? I do believe there is a certain amount of emotional Drain. Belfast is now flooded with East European people begging in the streets , every few yards a person selling Big issue aggessively in some cases. Every road junction has at least two or three working the traffic queues. The ones that really really annoy me are the ones using their kids as props. The kids seem drugged to keep them quiet. So eventually the guilt of saying no wears off. Its annoying now.
  • I feel you were right to complain, Howard. There is little here on the structure and the writing and a good deal about how the reviewer didn't like what was happening to the characters. I gave up on a book this morning, (second hand from local shop, BTW) as I found the characters unsympathetic and not very interesting. That's a writing fault, not a storyline fault. There is a big difference.  Let us know how you get on with your complaint.
  • Howard, only reading this review I would say that the person just didn't like this sort of book, perhaps they'd read too many bad books on a related issue-or even personal stuff that gave this response.
    The only valid writing point may be the long gap in the diary entries- you may not have mentioned why, which many readers will be willing to accept without some indication of why such a gap is there, or you may have and the reader didn't pick up on it.
    Criticism is part of the writer's life, and even the best sometimes get an adverse response.
  • Just write it.  Finish it.  I've emailed.
  • Hi Howard. One thing I totally disagree with concerning the review you received is that the slave lost her vulnerability when she became Esperanza. For me (yes – it’s subjective), she became even more vulnerable as she was hiding behind her alter ego.

As for the rest of the critique, I tend to agree with Carol – the person doesn’t like this type of book. However, I’m sure that we’ve all been given books to critique on YWO that were not our preferred genre, and I hope that we tried to be constructive even if it was painful to have to read several thousand words of it. The critique that you received was not constructive – the reviewer just said “I didn’t like it.”

I did like it, as did many others. Keep at it.
  • Don't let this get you down, Howard. I had fairly good reviews, until the last one yesterday. He started off by saying he doesn't know much about children's books and yet he is giving a review on one, mine.
    This is the fault of this site. You have to review all sorts of books. I had a sci fi to review I hate sci fi. But I don't just consider the genre I look at the writing skill and try to be constructive.
    You can remove reviews but how? I haven't figured that out yet. I had an email to say I could remove one and click here but it hasn't worked.
  • Wow! Not much over 2 hours ago I ask for opinions and I get all this! Thank you.

Dorothy, thank you for your support. I didn't like the kind of nasty-ish irony about the girl working hard on the streets and her dismissal of the plight of African immigrants.

Carol, you are always the voice of reason and brilliant at summing things up. I can see what you are saying and trust your opinion. (The time thingy is wrong. It all happens over 2 months.)

Tracy, I didn't know that such support existed out there. Your experiences are helpful indeed. I very much value what you say about wanting to boost my story's ranking, but don't worry I'm already satisfied with what I've learnt. (What's your story called? I'd like to do a free will.)

Radames, you took the trouble to do a free will for me and I can tell you it really came in at the right time. Thanks once again for your support.

TT, your e-mail has just arrived. I'll be replying in full.

(MrD, the good life? Maybe for some, but not for all. At the moment it's bl**dy murder!)
  • Kateyane, if you couldn't remove the review I'd e-mail them. In my case I've already got rid of one so I can't kill a second one yet.

I think that the site should explain more clearly that you can reject a piece you have to review if you want. It would cut out a lot of this cross genre stuff. Anyway, glad to hear you're doing well. You've got a good book on your hands.
  • I did email them and they sent an email with a 'remove click here' in it but it hasn't worked.
  • Kateyanne, how frustrating! You'll can only get back to them and insist.