Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Meeting up at Harrogate

edited May 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• It was lovely to meet up with all the winners at Harrogate. Lily, Helen, Hellena but I'm sure I didn't catch some of you.
    Lily how is your doggy? I hope on the mend. I've got a few pictures that I'll put on my blog later, but not many as a few are blurred.
    I hope from this year until this point next year we will all go on to move forward with our writing achieving more moving closer to our dreams.
    Helen, sorry we didn't get to see you in the morning, but I hope you had a fun meeting up with your friend.
    Helena, you are a wonderful lady, full of enthusiasm and knowledge. Your book was a worthy winner of the trophy and I'm sure your future books will be just as excellent. Well done.
    I have had a lovely sleep in this morning, but now am catching up with the household chores. I'm putting Sunday and Monday down on the calendar as my writing days - I wonder if I'll manage to keep to that.
    Have a great weekend everyone.
  • Glad it went well Butterfly.
  • Glad you had a great time and congratulations again... right, now get on with more!  ;O)
  • Isn't it strange now Harrogate is all over?  A bit like a holiday, I spent so much time anticipating it and then suddenly I find myself returning to work and normal life.

It was a pleasure to meet you in person, Butterfly, Helen and Helena.  Well done Helena on winning the self-publishing trophy for your fascinating book.  Also well done Butterfly for reading the piece from your story so well.

Hope you all had a good journey home again. x
  • Thank you for the update.

Congratulations to all successes.
  • It was so great to meet you too, Butterfly and Lily. I'm sorry Helena, I didn't realise you were the talkbacker I had been chatting to on here, so we didn't really speak on the day. :o( Congratulations on winning that trophy! And congratulations to Butterfly and Lily too. I have found it all so motivating and inspiring attending that event, making me want to write more and more stories.
    Sorry I didn't get to see you and your friend Lesley too, Butterfly, on Friday morning. We didn't have breakfast included with our booking. Hope the food was nice! It was really good to catch up with my friend, and on Friday morning me and Ray my fiance treated ourselves at 'Betty's' and I had a full English breakfast - yum!
    I have decided to have 3 projects on the go, and see how I get on. So I'm working on a novel, short story for magazines, and short story for a competition.
    I will look out for all your future successes!!
  • It definately was inspiring. I often work on two or three things at once and am doing that at the moment. If one isn't going that well, another one always is. I've been working my way through a 7-9 book Granny Liz which was really over written, I've already cut it down by half, and cut out four chapters. I'm now writing afresh and it seems to be working. I've just put together some competition entries for the Winchester Writers Conference in June/July. I'm almost there with them.
    Please keep me updated with how things are going. You too Lily and Helena, if you come back.
  • Hello Butterfly,

It was nice to meet you on authorsden too.
    Good luck with the Winchester conference.
  • Kateyanne, it looks like I might get there. I'll be working, but still able to mix with all my friends. I can't wait.
  • Hi Butterfly.  Yes I am atill around but we've been having so many problems with our internet access that it's several days since I last had a look at Talkback.  Dog update - he is now on 10 tablets a day which seem to be keeping him OK.  We went to the vet's again today, have to return in a fortnight for further check ups.

I have no writing news, other than continuing to make progress on my short stories.  I've got 3 at final draft stage, all are over the word count I'm aiming for and I'm struggling to see what I can chop. 

I had a look at your photos from Harrogate on your blog.  Those 2 came out well, didn't they.  I,m looking forward to seeing what the official ones are like when they publish them in the mag. 

Gotta go now as I'm doing this in the library and have to deal with a few emails.  Bye for now.
  • I have just had a look at your photos, Butterfly, and they take me back to that really good day in Harrogate. It is really nice to see them. I'm also looking forward to seeing the photos in the magazine and on the WN Website.
    Sorry to hear your dog has been unwell, Lily, I'm glad the tablets seem to be helping. I do hope he is ok. I know what it's like, my cat Maisy had to get her eyes checked at the vets and I get really worried and hope she is ok. We have to use eyedrops on her still as she has dry eyes.
    Good luck with your short stories!X
  • Did you all have the letter re purchasing copies of the photos?  Is anyone going to buy them?  I really wish we could see the photos before deciding.  I might have my eyes shut in the picture or be unrecognisable on the top step of that staircase!
  • Hi Lily, I've not had a letter yet. Maybe it's delivered today, I'll see when I get home tonight. It's true, I'd like to see the photos before buying them too. It depends how much they cost, I'll have a look at the letter if it's arrived today.
  • Hi Lily and Helen, I got the letter too, and I agree it would be good to see what photos are available. I think off the top of my head the letter said £6.75 each. But I would want to see before purchasing, they might send you anything. You might not even be in it!!
    I wonder it they're going to put it on the photos on the website so that we can see them?
    I'm off to edit a book now so see you two later.
  • I got my letter last night when I got home, not sure whether to buy it or not though. I think the photos will appear in a future magazine like in the past. I wonder if the cost covers the photos which we had taken in the actual hotel (where we were holding our certificates). Hope your editing went well, Butterfly. I am trying to start my novel at the moment, I almost feel nervous starting it. :o)
  • Just go for it Helen, remember however you start you will change it!! Once you get going you'll find it gets easier to change things. well at least I do. I hate the part I'm doing now - pulling it apart like a jigsaw, throwing pieces away and trying to get new pieces to fit in the holes or join two pieces together once a chunk has been removed. But it is a challange and I like it.
    I wonder if webbo could answer our question about the photo's?
  • Good luck with the novel Helen.  How do you manage giving eye drops to the cat?  The dog is getting wise to the fact that we're putting tablets in his food and we have to keep trying different combinations of his favourite things to persuade him to eat it all up! He's doing OK though I wish we could get some weight back on him as he lost a lot when he was ill.  Luckily he has lots of hair otherwise he'd look as thin as a whippet.

On the order form for the photos I presume where it says individual photograph, that would be the one of you with the certificate. I am still undecided because of the cost, but it would be nice to have a decent picture from the day.  The trouble is, without seeing them we don't know if they're decent pictures...

Butterfly, I had a root through some of my old magazines to see if I could find anything by your friend Lesley who came along to Harrogate with you. I found 2 stories of hers in Woman's Weekly Fiction Specials from last year.  I particularly liked the one called Winning, if you'd like to pass that on to her when you next meet.

I got one of my stories finished this weekend ready to send for a competition.  I thought I'd also finished another that I was going to try with People's Friend but there is something nagging me about the story that I can't put my finger on.  Something lacking, but I don't know what.  I think I'll hang onto it for a bit longer.  Maybe when it's been in the drawer for a week I'll be able to see if it's really finished or if I can improve it in some way.  Meanwhile I'm starting to brainstorm ideas for Christmas stories as it'll soon be time to submit those for the seasonal issues.  So much to do, so little time...
  • Thanks Butterfly, I'll do that, otherwise I'll be thinking like this forever - I'll let you know how I get on. I'm glad you enjoy the challenge of editing yours. I hope I will too!
    Thanks also, Lily - I did get quite worried when the vet said to put eyedrops on Maisy. I just thought, "God, how do I do that!" As I'm on my own in the week. The vet showed me how to put eyedrops in, you have to hold the cat firmly by having your left hand under its chin, your thumb on its head. Then with your right hand, you use your thumb to kind of hold its eye back slightly, and use your little finger to hold its eye down, then use any two of your other fingers to squeeze the drops/cream. I did it on my own for a week and it was a nightmare, poor Maisy didn't know what was going on and I dreaded it every time. But now I only put eyedrops on her when Ray my fiance is here at the weekends. It seems to be okay just using them at weekends, and she's got a bit used to it now. So it's very easy to do it - Ray holds her just normally (with none of this holding her head back business) and I put the drops in. She's a sweetie. Animals are so clever, they begin to know about the tablets! I had the same problem when I tried to give Maisy a worming tablet. I now use drops. That's a good idea about trying different combinations of food, hope it goes ok.

I'm not sure about getting the photos as they'll likely be printed in the magazine.

Oh, that must be a great feeling that you've finished another story, Lily. Good luck with it, is it for WN/WM or some other publication? I know what you mean when you sometimes feel there is something lacking, I tend to think of the structure of the story to see if I've covered everything.
  • Gosh Helen, the things we go through for our animals. 

Even during the course of the day I've thought of ways to bring the potential PF story I was struggling with to life.  I've emailed a physio friend for inside info re treatment my character might receive for a minor injury she suffered.  I'm really on a mission to make progress with writing projects this week as I only have 2 days work, but next week I have 4 so I won't get as much writing done.

The competition story I finished is for the Frome Festival short story comp.  (www.wordswork.net/frome/)  I entered the comp before and though I didn't win anything they forwarded my story to Woman's Weekly who subsequently bought it.  It was the 1st story I sold, so quite a leap forward for me.  Closing date is May 31, if you have anything you wanted to try, but entry is £5 so a bit of a gamble also!  Oh well, que sera sera.  What's £5 except a pile of chocolate?
  • Hi Lily, I will indeed pass your good wishes and enjoyment to Lesley when I see her. I should have seen her last night, at our writing meeting, but when I arrived home from work, 5pm my son's left foot was twice the size of his right!! He had fallen during his exams – well he'd just done his science exams (3 modules) then during the break between the them and the ICT one in the afternoon he and his mates went off for a run across a field. He went down a rut and ended up with a bad foot. He went back to school, didn't tell anyone, did the exam and then walked home!!!!! BOYS!!!!!
    I took one look at the giant swollen/bluish foot, bundled him in the car and spent 5 hours down in A&E. Thankfully it isn't broken – but might have a green stick fracture which won't appear until the swelling has gone down. (Swelling helps project) ? So he now has a support on it from knee to toes and has to keep it elevated and weight off it as much as possible. Him being male insisted this morning on going to school on the school bus – much to my disapproval. I am however picking him up at 11am after his exam and bringing him home. 

I hope both Helen's and your pets are much better and soon will be fighting fit. I think I'll contact the charity and ask about the photos, they may have their own website with the photos displayed.

I'm off to write in this extra time I have. Have a good time writing ladies.
  • Hi Lily, good luck with that competition. After saying that I'm going to have 3 projects on the go, I've discovered I may be better working on one project at a time. So I'm concentrating on my novel only now. You never know, I might change my mind again. That's a good idea about asking your friend for your research.
    Hi Butterfly, so sorry to hear about your son, I do hope he'll recover very quickly. At least it isn't broken, like you said.
    I have been working on my novel these past few evenings, trying to see where to start. I feel quite excited about it now, but I have no idea how the story will develop. Enjoy your writing!
  • Butterfly, so sorry to hear about your son's accident. Glad it isn't broken.
    Worrying isn't it, when you have to take them to A&E, and no matter how old they are they are still your baby.
    But I suppose all this is just a part of parenthood.
  • I think you're right, Carol, he might be bigger than me, but he is my baby. It is less swollen now and the colour blue is more of a sludgy grey with speckles. He is moving around much better now and wants to go to games workshop later...hmmmm I'll think about it!!

Lily, good luck with the competition - are they apart of Chicken house, who are based in Frome, Sommerset? I only ask because it is the only publishers I know down there.

Helen, by now you will be well on the way with your novel - what are you calling it? I think if you are ready to focus on one project that is just what you should do. The others will still be there if you get to a dry spot and need time to let the current story work its self out before you get back to it. I do that often. It works for me.

I'm hoping to do writing, and garding this weekend. I've been given lots of bedding plants for my tubs and beds. They always look lovely, but it takes so long to plant them all. However it is very relaxing. I also need to mow the lawns if it dries enough and cut the front hedge to allow the light to the sitting room back in. And write!!! House work...hmmm I'll leave that, no one will notice.
    Have a great weekend.
  • Hi all.  Hope your son's recovering from his injury Butterfly.  I don't know if Chicken House have any involvement with the Frome Festival comp.  The name doesn't ring a bell, but it's possible as they're local to the area.  The competition is run from Frome library.  I'm sure I've jinxed myself now anyway as I think it's bad luck to talk about competition entries. 

Got lots of writing done this week and need to tear myself away from the computer to give my eyes a rest.  I must start gardening too Butterfly but we keep having heavy downpours here this afternoon. 

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Yes, Frazer is now well on the mend. The foot is now a mixture of blue, speckled red and a yellowy-green. It is still swollen, but not anywhere near as bad.
    My garden is looking like a garden once more, having spent hours out there yesterday. I've still got plants to put in, but they'll have to wait a bit longer.
    I did manage to get a little writing done, but not as much as I would have liked.
    Have a good week.
  • JD was me, someone's hacked me again!!! it is so anoying. I'm going to have to change my password again.
  • Understood.  It happened to me once.  I noticed it when the sentence on the top right saying "You are logged on as..." wasn't quite me!
  • Butterfly, I'm glad your son is getting better now. That was weird when you came up as 'JD'. I've still not written a word of my novel yet, I'm still thinking of how to start, trying to think which scene to begin with. I might just write several opening scenes and see which is the best one. I haven't thought of a title yet, Butterfly, I may be the type of person who leaves the title till last. Like you say, I can always change what I write later on.
    Good luck with the competition, Lily. I hope your dog is ok.
  • Helen, would you mind if I butt in here?  I noticed what you said about not starting the novel and thought about a workshop I attended with Hippo (who is busy scribbling away and has barely been seen on here since, such is she concentrating). 

Now, this helped me.  Not so much to start but at points where I felt 'stuck'.

Just set the clock for, say, 20 minutes and then just Splurge it all out.  It doesn't matter how it comes out or whether spellings are right or anything as long as you just get what's in your head on the page in some form or another.

Try it.  20 minutes.  Not much to ask, is it?
  • Hi Tessa, thanks for that suggestion. I'll have to give it a go, I've not tried it before. :o)