Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

whither synopsis how to?

edited May 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• I have three years' copies of WM and I'm sure I've read an article about how to write a synopsis for a novel...but when? Can anyone shed any light as I couldn't find it from looking at all the contents pages?
  • I'm sure it was last month.
  • Sorry dont have that one.  I can give you some ideas for it though.

I am assuming the sysnopsis is for submission purposes. Start off with a Header page with the title of the book in the centre and a subtitle of the general genere of the book and an approximate word count. At the bottom of the page put you name address and contact details.

On the second page give about a 500 - 800 word outline of the story, don't be coy about the storyline.  Follow that up with character bios of each of the main characters, about 1oo - 150 words each then give a chapter by chapter description of the book, the chapter descriptions should only be two - five lines long each and be catchy and not vague.  Number your chapters.  Include how many example chapters the submission requirements call for.  I like to bind mine in some way, but it isn't necessary.

Then comes the all important submission letter, which should give a brief bio of you and your writing career, a very basic overview of the story your submitting, the genre and word count what the market is like for this type of story and why you think it will sell.  It may also help to give a brief description of other work you are doing that may interest then in the future.
  • check out Stirlings thread from 13 May 'That Darn Synopsis' - it gives a website address for useful advice
  • Thank you for your help.