Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

things that make you go GGRRRRR!!

edited March 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• do you have anything that just makes you angry, or gives you a squirmy feeling of disgust in the pit of your stomach, but you can't explain why? little things like pet peeves, but which inspire a deeper loathing in your gut?
    my little bit of weird rage comes from the word CREME as in "hair colouring creme". i don't know why. when it's used in creme caramel it's ok, but when it's used with anything else it sends shivers of anger and revulsion through me.
    i can't explain it. is it just me being an oddball or does everyone have these little quirks?
  • Yes, I do. I hate it when I hear people using a foreign phrase or word incorrectly. For instance ‘Hoi Polloi’ is literally translated as ‘the people’ [Wikipedia: “Hoi polloi (Greek: οἱ πολλοί), an expression meaning "the many" in both Ancient Greek and Modern Greek, is used in English to denote "the masses" or "the people", usually in a derogatory sense.”] How many times have I heard ‘The Hoi Polloi’, which would be saying ‘the the people’? More times than used correctly, that’s how!

I know that language evolves, and that many of our words are derived from mispronunciations and concatenations of foreign words, but it still irritates me! I think it’s my anal retentive, perfectionist nature. I would eat, shoot and leave.
  • Twice this week I've heard the weather woman on telly when talking about weather fronts say:  merge together.  You can hardly merge apart.
  • Ha, yes. Is that what we call a tautology? Saying the same thing twice. I hate it when I hear people say ‘looking back in retrospect’. I’m like DUH?
  • I hate it every Saturday afternoon when I look at the footie results and see that West Ham have been spanked yet again...
  • People who do not have "thank you" or "please" in their vocabulary!
  • People who spell thank you as one word.
  • I'm not keen on titles / product names that spell words incorrectly - things like 'lite' and 'skool'. Dear me, what an old grouch...
  • Katy, I agree with that one. Soon people won't know how to spell things correctly because of this.
  • I am irritated by people who say 'for me' when you need to sign a form or similar task.  'Just sign here for me' I'm not doing it for them personally - it's just something that has to be done.
  • Colin Firth in a wet shirt. Grrrrr!
    (Oops, sorry - wrong type of growl.)

Well then, my angry Grrrrrs surface when shop assistants young enough to be my son/daughter call me 'love' or 'mate' when they're serving me. Grrrrrr
  • There's pub in Cambridge that invites its customers to eat 'Kurry'. (I read the board outside, I didn't go in!). And don't you jsut hate people who keep using exclamations mark.
  • I hate it when people write a lot as alot.  This evening I saw 'A whole' written as Awhole - I thought, at first, it was a rude word!  And, of course, misplaced or redundant apostrophes, such
    as cabbage's or bun's. 
  • Can't say I'm overfond of GGRRRRR!! actch.
  • "I’m like DUH?"

Sorry, but this in itself really irritates me.  The word 'like' in that context means nothing. 

'Innit' at the end of a sentence, just to finish it off, bugs the sh** out of me.  'Nuffink' irritates me.  Stray apostophes are everywhere, and where they should be, they're missing.

I know languages have to eveolve, and English is no different, but to mutate them and mangle them in the way many European languages have been these last few years is nothing short of tragic.
  • Oh, and naming no names, 'Because you're worth it' - are you sure, love?  There's a lot I could say about that particular cosmetics company (who are linked with the world's biggest foodie conglomerate, while I'm on the subject).  'Every little helps'.  Does it indeed?  Helps everyone, does it?

OK, I feel better now...
  • How do you feel about pretentious restaurant menus?  I cringe, laugh, grind my teeth when something is 'drizzled' 'swathed' 'cosseted' 'drooled' etc etc what clap-trap, I've even seen 'enrobed' - it makes me want to scream
  • Haha, TaffetaPunk, Duh irritates me as well, and also ‘like’ used in this context. You understand it was deliberate on the grrr thread, yes?

Last night as I was driving home, I saw a van marked with ‘Beauty Therapist and Nail Technician’. I find this sort of thing exceedingly irritating. There was a time when a ‘therapist’ was someone who performed a sort of healing, whether a medic, or alternative medicine, psychology or any of the allied healthcare professions. But it seems now that it’s used for anything that makes a person feel good – for e.g. ‘retail therapy’ (which I know is a bit of a joke, but even so) and beauty therapy. There was a time when a ‘technician’ was someone who performed a technical task, studying engineering in order to do so. Using these words for a job that requires much less training, intelligence and qualification in order to heighten the value of the job is devaluing the use of them in their correct context.

I am not deriding anyone who wants to have their face made up, or nails done, or the people who make a career out of providing these services. But it really gets my goat that someone can call themselves a ‘therapist’ or ‘technician’ without the same level of training as the real therapists and technicians.

Am I an obnoxious snob? I’m sure that I am, but if I’m coming across as being overly officious and pompous then I’ll apologise in advance. It’s just my grrrr time.
  • Hee hee, JH - I'd add 'sales executive' to that particular list as well. Nothing wrong in the least with working in sales - it is an absolutely essential job in businesses of all kinds and sizes so it's not that in itself. What I mean is the term 'executive' when applied as a blanket title to anyone carrying out a function regardless of seniority or responsibility.
  • There are lots of things that make me go 'grrr'.
    People, mainly men, who spit/gob in the street, people who drop litter,people who ram their shoppping trolleys in the back of my legs, people who will insist on having a conversation in the narrow shopping aisle so you can't get by,people who say teachers are lucky cos they have 13 weeks holiday a year,( let them try teaching for a while no make that one day then they will see why you need it), people who stand and read the magazines in Smiths so you can't get by why don't they just buy them? oh and the phone being constantly engaged like this morning when I am trying to buy tickets to see Take That.

Colin Firth in wet clothes deffo not a grrr more a phorwwwwwwwwww  Is that how you spell it?
  • Who cares how you spell it, just thinking about it makes me go ooooohh!!!!
  • Oh Mr Darcy, I am undone! Hmm, I’m not so impressed by Colin Firth myself but my partner is (which is unfair, I feel). We both like Lara Croft though, so that’s ok.

Claudia, yes I agree, a beauty course is quite involved and from what I can gather they do have to know about skin conditions and other health things. I’m generalising but I do feel that the ‘beauty’ industry has less value than the health industry.
  • Why is it that people have changed the way we say 'ask'? If you listen to song lyrics, 50 cent (or Fiddy as he's also known apparently) whenever he says Ask it sounds like aks, He's not the only one, Sugbabes did it, my son does it, and his mates which I embarrasingly pull them up on. And WHY OH WHY do people insist on using 'Text' abbreviations in their emails??? It drives me insane.... just checking I haven't used any!!!
  • Amboline, isn't there a difference between innit and n'est-ce pas in the sense that the french phrase is spelt and grammatically correct (I imagine), whereas innit is just slovenspeak for isn't it - innit?
  • oooh! i'm so glad i'm not the only rage-filled oddball in the world!!
    i do agree that "like" has long since been adopted by liverpudlians as the punctuation to many sentences, i.e. "ya know warra mean, like?" (that comes from the "scouse dictionary" concocted by my secondary school science teacher who, although living and working in liverpool, could not deal with and would not stand for any scouse terminology or creepings of local dialect in any conversation conducted in his classroom. come to think of it now, he was a pompus eejit! oh dear, here comes the rage again...)
  • Claudia, that’s ok, looks like we were signing from the same hymn-sheet. I do overuse ‘there was a time’ which makes me seem like a granny when I’m only 36 myself so probably wouldn’t remember the time! One of the things that used to make me go grrr when I was a teen was people tutting, shaking their heads and saying ‘youngsters these days…’ only now it’s me that’s doing that! (just deleted five exclamation marks there, as I too hate excessive punctuation but overuse it, mwa – aaaagh! Now I’m using txt abbreviations too, aaaaaaaaagggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!)
  • ARE YOU DEAF, JOSIE? (Joke.) I usually put things like 'will you sing this?' when I mean 'sign'.
  • yes Jay, completely! (pardon?) I have a book singing coming up. mwa
  • At school this morning, hymn Down By the Riverside, think these must be new word version.
    Gonna and Ain't featured heavily.
    'ain't gonna study war no more' is one example.
  • I thought it had always been that.
  • I remember a different version to that. Can't remember the words beyond ' going to wash all my sins away etc.'
  • good fred this innit it - CU.
  • The expressions which really make me mad are made by football commentators (in Australia anyway).  They sometimes refer to a hefty player who has taken a bit of a knock as a hero and even worse when a team loses they can call it a tragedy.  There are tragedies beyond number in the real world but losing a football match (even an international one) is not one of them.
  • I hate the phrase'at the end of the day' I hear it used everywhere.
    also 'see you laters' , with an added s.
    And I hate hearing the f word. This is so widely used by people now especially youngsters.  When I go down to the town I hear it used a lot. Last week a woman was swearing at her little boy, age only about 3, and using this word. And we wonder why children turn out like they do now.
  • Hmm, where to start.

'Like' as every other word
    The fact that students no longer go to University; they go to 'Uni'.  (Uni what?  Corn? Sex?)
    People who leave their engines running so they can enjoy aircon when they're waiting for some one on a hot day / heater on when they're waiting for someone on a cold day
    Drivers who don't indicate at roundabouts
    Drivers who overtake and then turn immediately left into a side road
    Assistants who ask 'what was your address?  What name was that?' Surely they want my name / address as it is, not was
  • Today I didn't GGRRRRRRR so much as ARRRRRRGH!!
    I work through the week like many people so the washing piles up in the laundry, the house gets that 'bombed' look about it and the groceries rapidly diminish. I use my weekends NOT to rest, relax and write but to wash, clean and shop. It is 6:45pm here on Sunday and just when I think I'm about to sit down for 5 minutes before I have to start thinking about dinner and the kids school lunches for tomorrow, the b***dy dog has piddled on my last basket of clean washing as I was taking it down from the line. GGRRRRRRRR!
  • Poor IG - I remember the days when weekends were given over to shopping washing cleaning - I used to hate the feeling of being on a treadmill.  I always say there's b***** all in favour of getting old but I guess the newfound freedom is the one thing I've come across. Kids up and gone, only two to cook for, and the house doesn't really get messy.  But don't wish your life away, one day you'll have a bit of peace.
  • Sympathise IG, know exactly what you mean. The weekend here is washing, drying, food and so on. Today I have three pairs of new school trousers to alter, as all three of the boys have got holes in their current pairs, and the patches are wearing.
    It's moments like that ,that you really want to murder the darlings isn't it IG.
  • It irritates me when newsreaders say secetery instead of secretary. So many of them do it.
  • Thanks for the understanding words. I've calmed down now. I truly did scream aloud in the backyard before giving the jolly dog a quick squirt with the garden hose. (Sorry all you animal lovers) Then I came inside and threw the washing back into the machine and went into the bedroom to sob. It's almost midnight now so the house is dark and quiet (except for the snoring) and I'm sitting up in bed, getting a bit more of my novel done on the laptop. Just thought I'd stick my nose into Talkback and thank you for your empathy - I needed it.
  • That's the spirit, IG. 
  • Hi, BDarter, and welcome to Talkback.
  • Hi Kateyanne, did you get the Take That tickets? I've just listened to their new album and I think it's great.
    No, TT don't make me go GGRRRRR...... quite the opposite!
  • I'm not too keen on the phrase "I myelf"  but the infuriating comment on the computer screen "please wait" tops my list
  • Thought of another "GRRRRRRR!!": Mondays! Ha-ha, I'm having one of those days and I really do not want to be at work! I'm contemplating hitting the fire alarm just so I can escape from the buring pits of hell...whoops, I mean my desk!
  • Hello Bdarter - nice to meet you.  Ashley in Coronation Street says, hospickle and bockles (hospital bottles) GRRRRR  My mother in law says Cuttelry for cutlery.  GRRRR.  In town we have Great Brickkiln Street and 99 per cent of people call it Bricklin Street GRRRR
  • Yeah, grrrr is what I think about most of my work colleagues. Monday mornings when Alys says ‘get up!’ and puts the light on, I hide my head under the duvet so she pulls the duvet off! What a cruel woman she is.
  • Oh...another one (I'm on a roll today!)...the blasted automated cinema booking voice system! I used it at the weekend and ended up shouting over the phone "No, I said Basildon not Leeds" to which it responded "You've chosen Brighton" ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH! Ha-ha.
  • HI Summernight, No I didn't get the tickets and I was on the phone for hours, it was always engaged. Oh, well just have to make do with the CD and yes it is great. Did you see them perform on Dancing on Ice last week? They were brilliant.
  • Just recently, my thing has been the organisation AOL.  They hijacked my BT broadband line.  I am with Sky.com.