Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Hello from me

edited April 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Hello everyone,
    I've just enrolled with the site and just signed up for the Writer's News home study short story course.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has done or is doing the course and from anyone who is writing for women's magazines.
  • Hi, Gwennypenny. Welcome to Talkback.
  • Hi Gwennypenny, I only joined this forum myself this morning but everyone seems very friendly so I'm sure we'll both be fine.

I have had some stories published in womens magazines but have found it difficult and have had more rejections than acceptances but if I can help in any way I would love to.

Zoe x
  • welcome! Ask all your questions, it's what we're all here for.
  • Welcome to Zoe and gwennypenny.
  • Hi Gwennypenny
    Welcome and be ready for some great fun here.
  • Hello Gwenpenny, you'll enjoy yourself here.
  • Hi there. I write features for 'The Lady'. I'm sure you've heard this frequently but you need to study the market and perhaps home in on a particular magazine to study its style, what readership it's aiming for, the lay out, length of features and stories. And make sure it's up-to-date issues you look at as editors and consequently styles can change.  'My Weekly' is a good example of how it's attempted to 'improve' its image aiming at a younger readership with different themes in the content of the magazine.And many magazines do have guidelines.
    Hope you find Talkback useful. 
  • Crumbs, I've found WN invaluable, Gwennypenny.  For encouraging me in this isolated business when I think I'm all alone with it, just for starters.  Used to write for women's mags but haven't for a decade.  Hmmph.  Maybe I really ought to start again when I get fed up to the back teeth with this second draft, though it comes very close to that at times.  Enjoy! 
  • Got a great surprise when I came back and saw all your lovely welcoming messages.  What a nice bunch of people you are.  Will you all be able to read this reply?
  • Hiya Gwennypenny

Welcome welcome welcome.
    The forum is superb and the best I have ever been a member of on the net.

All the best with your target market. I have done some features in the past for Womens Magazines in the IPC group and D.C.Thomson.
    Thomson's will not place the most expensive beans on the toast but they are good to work with and will give a certain amount of guidance if they see what they require in your writing.

Good luck with all your writing.

Aegean
    ---------
  • Howdy doody, GwennyPenny. Lovely to meet you. Yes, whatever you read on here is read by everyone - no secrets between friends! Good to have you on board.
  • Pull up a chair - so pleased to meet you.
  • Hi Gwennpenny, welcome to TalkBack!
  • Hi Gwenpenny

I just joined the other day and received a very nice reception as well.

There's loads of different threads to read here, all very interesting stuff!

Rich
  • Hi Gwennypenny.  Welcome.