Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in May's magazines?

edited April 2007 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Who's in May's magazines, due out today? I haven't received my copy yet - well, it is only 3:50am.
  • Up early, Claudia, up early. But I dare say I'll have a snooze on the sofa a bit later.
  • Post's not arrived yet.  Keep 'em peeled.
  • They're here. Just got to open them now.
  • And appearing in this month's issues are (in no particular order) .........

Over to you, Jay!!!
  • Jany, and Anne Brooke (I'm reading Anne's book at the moment so I'm avoiding the item in Members' News - I'll post something about it when I've finished it). I think Anne was a winner of winners one year at Harrogate.

And before you all shout, I've entered something for the Best Gay Romance 2008.
  • I've got mine but won't be able to read it until later tonight. My hour of indulgence will come around 8 pm - I can't wait.
  • Hurrah to those featured! 

I must say I usually avoid these threads because my issue never seems to appear on the same day as everyone else's.  Grrr.

However, today, a large envelope contained...  my Mslexia.  I'll cope with reading that instead.  I wonder if anyone from WN is ever featured in Mslexia?
  • I saw Josie's name in Mslexia this week
  • I've been in Mslexia a couple of times, but so far only on the letters pages.  My views on the 'writing gene' are on page 4 of the current edition and also on my website for non-Mslexiaites to read.
  • I thought I was going to be, I had an email from them asking for more info, but sadly I'm not. (I've had a brief flick through so if anyone notices my name in a corner then please let me know!) I usually read cover to cover and it takes me a few days but this time I scanned it quickly because I was expecting to see something about Seven Days.

Yes I was in Mslexia! I was mentioned in the 'Out now by subscribers' section, thanks for noticing that Smaug. I was going to be in the top spot 'How I did it' and had written the peice, but Shanta Everington beat me to it. I'm quite happy to see Shanta there though, because I was on the MA in writing with her so I'm glad to see her success. Don't know whether she's a WN subscriber as well or not. If you're there Shanta, hello!
  • I once had a haiku published in Mslexia
  • Josie, there is so much in Mslexia.  Just like WN, you need a good trawl through it and it takes me a while, too.  Btw, my copy of Mslexia smells of sawdust.
  • I misread that as 'stardust'. Oh, well.

Odd. Just before supper (what do you call it?), I wrote down a possible book title: The Way of All Dreams.

Must be my subconscious and the possible link between clinical depression and deep-sleep dreaming (R.E.M.? - or am I just fantasising again about Michael Stipe?).
  • I'm not a subscriber, but can I ask a question?.  Are you just talking about Writer's News?.  I have just had an email from Writing Magazine (Re: Don Henderson's letter in last month's issue) and it's going to be published, and she was saying they don't go to print till next week.
  • I think they must mean I'm going to published next month (I love saying that, this buzz makes it all worthwhile!).
  • Both Writers' News and Writing Magazine turned up today. Perhaps your piece will appear in the one dated June, published in May.
  • Say it again Stirling! Mine arrived today.
  • I'll be getting it on Thursday.  I am travelling to Stirling to have a look at two student flats, they have a WHSmith there.

That's the problem with Cramlington, we don't have a WHSmith and I have to travel to either Newcastle or the Metrocentre to get it.  A situation made worse by the fact they go on sale when I'm practically skint.

I've been saying for the last two months that I should start a subscription.  So I think after next pay day I will have to bite the bullet.
  • oh you lucky people, getting your crisp shiny new lovely magazine already!
    mine didnt arrive today, so am very jelous! had to get my fix with april's issue again, and my myslexia, while my little girl had her nap.honestly, the peace and quiet of one hour are to be treasured, they are so rare!
  • ah the days when the boy would sleep and I could read (or sleep zonked out on the sofa). Now I'm working while he's in school so I don't get time anyway. Gets you both ways. My friends would say 'oh you're at home all day, you must have time to do loooooads of stuff' and I was saying 'excuse me? I have a baby! I don't think I have any time at all' meh.

Momma-M I saw your other post, I empathise. gees it's enough for me dealing with one active child I don't know if I could do all that again.

excuse typeos I am soemwaht inebriated tongiht.
  • Mine was waiting for me when I got back from Yorkshire this afternoon. After I've caught up here, I'll start reading.
  • Inebriated?.  Josie, you appear to be paralytic.
  • TTJay - I wonder what stardust smells like!
  • "R.E.M.? - or am I just fantasising again about Michael Stipe?"

LOL it is amazing how much of a gay icon he is. You would think the Brad Pitt's or Tom Cruise's of this world would be up there. Yet I am constantly hearing gay men revere Stipe. I love REM great band and he does seem to be a lot more intelligent than most lead singers.
  • Stirling, say after me, 'I MUST subscribe to WM after my next payday'. Now repeat that ten times every day!
  • I swear!.

Seeing I'm going to University, and just cannot give up my Writing Magazines, it is financial sense to subscribe and save money.  You never know, I might be able to supplement my Student Loan with any money I might earn.

I worked the whole bank Holiday so I will be recieving an extra two days pay, so I have no excuse!.
  • Fredrik Ljungberg's quite popular, too, Tony.
  • And John Barrowman. Wonder if I should send him one of my stories.
  • Jay, if I was writing to John Barrowman I'd have to fold myself into the envelope too!! Gorgeous! Hee hee
  • That's me on p.32 of WM.  I write under my maiden name, if anyone is confused by the different surname in my email address.

Well done to Vivien Hampshire - shortlisted for the first line poetry comp on p.25 of WN.  I assume that IS our Vivien Hampshire!
  • Reminds me of the joke about God. "There's two things you've got to know about God. She's black."

There's two things you've got to know about John Barrowman. He's married. To another man.
  • John Barrowman seems like a really nice fella so give it a go. Freddy Lundberg though, argghhhh no way, only because he plays for Arsenal though.
  • help.... i dont have my copy yet and i want it NOW! i cant believe they have forgoten me, i am so alone in this wilderness. i am now totally miffed and to add insult to injury my tooth has broken. so now thats a trip to the dentist.
  • So how's Freddy/ie's surname spelt? (Actually, I've got a picture of him somewhere, but that's another story.) I copied and pasted his name from the Internet, but thought it didn't look right.

Hmmm. Mr Barrowman. Now, do I write to him C/O Russell T Davies who read 'Crying for the Moon'; or C/O Graham Norton who read 'Heart on my Sleeve'? Not that I'm dropping names, you understand.

Then there's Antony Cotton - Sean from Coronation Street. Although I might have tried him already. He was in 'Queer As Folk'. What's it called - six degrees of separation? - where you're linked to everyone in the world?

I've probably tried everyone else.
  • Sympathies Amanda, I know just how difficult a broken tooth is, having broken my front crown on the plastic wrapping surrounding a pack of bread rolls. (I'm serious, I did do it that way.)
  • Hey Jay how did I do that? Yes it's Ljungberg.
  • Amanda, if it's any consolation, I don't have mine yet, which is really annoying, as I saw it on sale in the newsagents yesterday!  I may end my subscription and just buy it off the shelf in future - I'm always the cow's tail when it comes to it arriving in the post...
  • I am in the shortlist for the first line poetry competition 'I knew I could never go back there.'
  • Well done, both of you!
  • Sorry Lily. I only just noticed that you have already pointed out my little success! How nice that we are spotting each other's names now and not just searching for our own. Well done to all who are getting published - and noticed! I did very well a couple of weeks ago, having four pieces of mine all out on the newsstands at once - a winning 500 word story in the Jamie Medhurst Memorial competition featured in April's Writers Forum, a short story in the latest Womans Weekly Fiction Special, an opinion letter in my local Gazette, and a limerick on the Peterborough page in the Daily Mail. And two of the four paid me! If only all weeks looked like that.
  • In WN I got a very nice reply to a post I put on Talkback in September 06 and which had been quoted in WN.  So my name was mentioned!
  • Lily (alias Joanne). I have now read your summer ghost story in WM and liked it very much. Nice to see what talkbackers look like too!
  • Well done everyone.
    Our Writers Club will be appearing in the Round up section soon. I'll tell you when it's out if I'm in the photo, as it was a wide view and space might reduce who it shows.
  • Ah ha, if anyone sees an extra bright light over North London, that's the lightbulb that's just come on over my head - the reason I don't have this month's WM is that my subscription ended last month! (I've just called them to verify)  Doh.  I paid for it by cheque, so no automatic payment via DD or credit card to guarantee continuation of my subscription - I'm a little surprised WM don't let people know when their subscriptions are about to expire.  Even Scribble, a much smaller circulation short story magazine that I subscribe to, do.  Ah well, I'll buy this month's off the shelf and start again next month...I definitely won't be getting May's issue read before June's comes out, though, with a handicap of about 10 days!
  • Thank you Viv.  Actually my hair isn't quite so blonde now. That photo was taken in Canada when I was visiting a friend.
  • So when you get asked for a photo (and this applies to any Talkbackers)do you supply a slightly older photo where you think you look younger, or an up to date one?
  • How about supplying a photo of someone else - someone you'd like to be? What a great opportunity to reinvent oneself.
  • The one I supplied WN with is an old passport photo taken about 3 years ago. After a certain age a lady doesn`t change much....
  • I'd been using the same favourite photo for several years, mainly because I couldn't find another one I liked as much, but I've just replaced it with one taken this year.