Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

insanity beckons!

edited August 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I'm going mad. There is a big problem that I have with research.

Over the past few years I have been testing the waters in different areas of writing... seeing which could become my niche. My past two novels were basically just practice runs... to see if I could a) finish a novel and b) make it coherant and whole (the plot i.e beginning, middle and end).

At the start of my A level course I set my mind to studying, doing the odd short story or poem. When getting my coursework back from English Language and discovering that I got full marks on my short story I had renewed passion. I then went in for a few competitions and had a small success. At the end of my exams in July I began my third novel. This one, I had decided, was not just a 'practice run'. I am determined to send it off, just to have the knowledge that it's out there! Anyway, half way through my first draft I have come across a big problem which I should have thought of earlier (I blame the lack of experience :P). I need to do research....Well that part I knew, but I don't know where or how to start...

Is there a system that has worked for anyone or do I just plunge into books and the internet?

(Blimey... a life history! :P)
  • Here's from recent experience, as I've just come back from location research.
    List what the problem is. If it's one thing, then look up the internet and at books. If your local library has a Book Search system, use keywords and see what titles come up.
    You may find there are standard reference works that are recommended reading.
    If a place is being used, visit it if you can, or obtain pictures or again look on the web. Many councils will have links, especially to well known places.
    Generally, sort out what it is you need to know, then start looking.
    If needed contact local groups.
  • I'm researching things about modern China for a fiction work about Tiananmen Square and the lack of freedom of expression.  I went into the local bookshop this afternoon, and though I was unable to buy all the books on China they had (books in Switzerland are very far from cheap), I did get a book called 'Etudiants chinois - qui sont les élites de demain?' (Chinese students - who are the élite of tomorrow?) and a detailed map of China and its surroundings.  I figured that if I'm going to write a book set mainly in China, it'd be helpful to be familiar with its geography.
  • Thanks. It's really helped. I think half of my problem is that I'm worried about starting research, probably because I haven't done anything like this before, so in depth. But I'm going to the libary today... just to say that I've started (because then it won't seem such a daunting task, I hope!) Thanks again :D
  • Good luck!  Research can be quite fun.  Like the afternoon I spent learning the rules of poker or the day I spent learning the terminology of old sailing ships or that other time when I had to find out what materials clothes and footwear in medieval times were made of.  There is, however, a small risk of getting a tad carried away ...
  • And finding out all those other interesting snippets which give you ideas for that other story you've got planned- yes it happened on holiday while I was sat in Weymouth library, something to note down for the half brother of my hero.
    Often it will lead you astray, but other times it will take you into areas you hadn't considered, and which may work better.