Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

IT/Broadband - here we go again

edited August 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Sorry, I know IT is a regular and I've not had a look yet at the last 3 weeks of Talkback to check if anyone's raised this recently, so apologies if anyone has.

I signed up to a 30-day free trial with Orange broadband when my per minute dial-up charges with them doubled.  Connection reliability is very poor, but I don't know how they stack up against other providers.  Have others had poor experiences with Orange?  Has anyone got any recommendations for a good provider?

I think the time has also come for me to upgrade my dinosaur of a PC - even the boiler service engineer commented on its antiquity yesterday (cheeky so and so!).  As there seem to be about a billion different options and deals out there, I have no idea where to start.  I just want the most basic thing going - I use it only for WP, emails and Internet, I don't need all-singing-all-dancing-make-me-a-cup-of-tea-and-do-the-ironing (though, on reflection...).  Help!  Any idea where to start?  Any stores you can recommend where the staff might actually know what they're talking about and not just try and sell me the most expensive thing going?

Thanks everyone.
  • I can't get my computer to make me coffee or tea. On the whole, I'm satisfied with Orange - I joined them in the Freeserve Days. We had some problems connecting to Boardband - but who hasn't? I bought a laptop from PC World and have been satisfied with the service I received. It pays to shop about and compare prices and ask questions. The small independent dealer is usually better than the chain stores - he wants you to return. Some laptops I looked at had no Wordprocessing Software. One or two assistants looked at me amazed that I should insist on WP software. 'It's good for games and DVD etc etc' I was told. 'BUT I want to use the laptop for writing' I kept insisting! Am I'm that odd?
  • There was a running item on Broadband problems on BBC Breakfast this past week. It mainly centered on TalkTalk, but did mention others. You can probably find the item on their web page, www.bbc.co.uk/breakfast
    We have BT, and I've not had many difficulties. It may cost more, but I want a guarantee of reliability.
  • I'm signed up to Talktalk broadband and havn't had any real problems with them just yet but I'm more than happy with their price of £22 per month that includes line rental, unlimited UK & EU calls and the broadband speed is 2MB with unlimited downloads.  It's allowing me to watch music videos ok and to have web chats via webcam so it has the thumbs up from me.
  • Thanks, chaps.  Looks like I've got a bit of a project on my hands, but I'll get there.  It's switching email addresses that is causing me most anxiety...and will take some planning ahead.

Stan2, turns out Orange have been having problems with customers with an 0208 phone code getting connected - so that would be me and goodness knows how many thousands of others.  I haven't been able to get online via broadband for several days now as a result.  I can't help wondering if Jamiroqui (I'm sure that's not the right spelling) wasn't right about the 'virtual insanity' of technology...  Bring back carrier pigeons!
  • Morning Hippo,

Last weekend, I was "volunteered" to help a Polish couple organise subscription to Broadband, so that their relatives could easily (and cheaply) communicate from Poland.

It took a few hours but we chose BT and connection will be operating by Monday. Residential customers are charged £11-00 per month line rental with £9-95 Broadband for first six months subsequently £17-99 per month. Cancellation charge is £13-00 if they decide it is not suitable within the first six months. All details are on www.BT.com
    Remember that all Broadband providers are legally obliged to contract telephone line service with BT. There was a recent report of people losing their Broadband service because their provider had failed to pay their dues which broke contract with BT. Consequently BT "pulled the plug" and everyone has apparently lost money as well as telephone service.
  • Thanks, Jan, every bit of advice helps...
  • Whoever you go to, check how long you are tying in for.E.g BT do 12 months, but TalkTalk is 18 months. Are you having to pay for anything else, and are there charges for equipment if you go to another supplier after the contracted period,
    or even decide to change supplier- say six months in.
  • I'm with Virgin but I wouldn't recommend it and I'm thinking of moving.  For one, they insist on confirming my credit card details every other month (don't ask me why). The first time this happened I called them and got an extremely rude individual who mistakenly thought I had to CHANGE the card to another one!
    After that I thought 'they've got my details so everything should be OK.' Wrong. I got an email asking me to confirm again (by calling their 25 pence a minute 'customer service' line). As I already had, I ignored the email (yes, my fault) and not only did they cut me off, they also wiped all my emails, including some of sentimental value. I didn't even get an apology.

Not impressed.
  • I would think that will have happened to a number of people who may have thought they were phisshing e-mails. Not good customer service.
  • BT have changed their contract periods. If the telephone line already exists and you re-connect with them BT now enforce a three month only contract which may be cancelled on payment of thirteen pounds.