Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I need your suggestions

edited August 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Having decided to do my next online article about automatic phone answer systems, I'd like to know of any organisations that you feel have awful systems installed, so I can test them out. If there is a particular gripe about the systems, please tell me (personally it's pressing a number on the first menu and then getting yet another menu to choose from).
    And for all our Talkback friends in other countries, do you have problems with this or are we just blighted?
    I have a vague idea of the line I'll be taking, but need to do some associated research for it.
    Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.
  • BT scores highest for me in their convoluted phone menu system. I have all sorts of gripes about them, which I won't go into, but have to say that it cost me over £4 on my mobile phone just to navigate their menu then explain the problem when I needed to speak to someone about the fault on my line. It was either the mobile or brave the filthy spider-ridden phone box. I've since learned that if you resist pressing buttons and just stay silent you get passed to an operator.
  • Thanks Deb and Luckypen, this is just the sort of info that is useful. It will give me an idea of what others think are the pits, beside my own viewpoint.
    I'm also looking into whether these systems create problems for people with visual and/or hearing impairments.
  • A few years ago I rang the Financial Times because I wanted to check on a company.

The automated system told me I was about fifth in line, so I hung on.

And on. And on.

Eventually it told me I was next.

Then the voice said, "Thank you for calling the Financial Times" and it HUNG UP on me!
  • Ouch!!!
  • Do you think I should have taken it as a personal affront?!!!
  • I know what you mean TT, the wait the other day I mentioned had some rather modern stuff that wasn't very melodic- I had to keep moving the phone away from my ear!
    Government departments are a nightmare to contact, I find you often get the message 'we are experiencing a high volume of calls to this number, please try again later.' Only when you can get through they've all gone home!
    Any more examples welcome.
  • Definitely BT - I've had steam coming out of my ears on many occasions
  • I do have another that was just awful (a local garage who make you listen to hours of adverts about themselves) but I guess you are looking for national things
  • NTL

Just don't get me started about NTL. At least it's free when you call them from an NTL line, that's about the only good thing. Long waits, bad music, annoyingly long list of "press X number for Y query", and usually they still haven't got an option for the thing that you actually want to ask them about.

There are reasons why me having a rant (about anything) is now referred to as "an NTL moment" by my housemates!
  • Poor Jill, yes I've heard NTL customer services is not good.
    Betsie, tell me more. I'm interested in any of these answer systems and what businesses small and large do with them.
    As I discovered while doing some basic research on Thursday, there are a variety of systems, and you can do a lot with them depending on your needs and how many phones and people you have. UK automated attendant systems start at £800, so we can safely say many businesses pay the minimum they can get away with.
    That is probably why we have so many problems with them.
    Keep them coming.
  • Do you want me to the put the phone no here so you can listen to the adds (is that libel or anything I shouldn't do?).  Also I recall reading/hearing on TV or something that a guy had devised a way of zapping these silly systems by keying in a certain number - I've forgotten what it was all about - does anyone else remember this news item.
  • I'm sure an example of the adverts would be interesting if you can remember them, otherwise e-mail me via Webbo's system, I'm intrigued.
  • Now that is a good one Dorothy, makes them think you are reading their mind.
    I'm quite happy to receive anything by Webbo's system from Talkbackers.
    What I have found that works to some degree, is registering with the Telephone Preference Service. It has reduced cold calling to us by 99 per cent.
    Anyone rings up, I stop them by saying we have registered, and legitimate organisations automatically apologise for contacting me, and say they will note that we are registered with TPS and won't contact us again.
    I only receive calls from those organisations I have asked to contact me. And the odd few that seem to come from abroad and I just say I'm not interested and put the phone down.
    I think a real help is to always check the little bits at the bottom of things you sign up to- those little boxes with a space for ticking what you don't want or do want to receive from them and other third parties.
    And things by post-  put Return to Sender with an indicator where the return address is located on unwanted commercial stuff- it costs them money to get it back.
    Other suggestions I've come across are put the stuff in their own envelopes and also use those from other organisations, and their stuff in the other ones envelopes. It doesn't take long for them to get the message and remove your name.
    Try some of these Dorothy- when applicable.
  • I am currently having a nightmare with a mobile phone company.  I don't know if I am allowed to name names, but they are very big and might remind you of a colour in the rainbow.  This has been going on since last week and it's so frustrating.  I press the 2 things necessary to get into the queueing system, then I get music, or sometimes a message telling me how long it will take to answer my call.  Then several times the line has just gone dead.  I've tried holding on but nothing has happened so I've had to hang up and try again.  On 4 occasions I have got through to a real person.  The 1st disappeared during the call.  The 2nd advised me I needed a new sim card, which I purchased.  The 3rd told me there was a problem with their system which would be resolved by this morning.  (It isn't).  The person I have just spoken to gave me another number to ring, which I can't get through to because I don't have a phone number with this provider - as she already knew!  Aaagh!  I have the feeling these people don't really want my business.  And if this is how they treat potential customers then I don't want to do business with them either.
  • Thanks amboline I'll have a search for those details.
    Poor Lily, what a dreadful time.
    You do have to wonder if these companies do want our custom when they treat people like that.
    I find I can forgive shops a lot if you are stuck in a queue, and when you get to the counter they apologise for the wait. It might help if these phone organisations did something similar.
  • Whenever I have to navigate menus, I always say the same thing when I'm finally connected:
    "Thank God!!  A real person!!"

I hate doing business over the phone.  I much prefer doing it face to face with a real person - and that option is getting taken away gradually.
    We used to have an Electricity board office in our village, with a very helpful and knowledgeable woman who ran it.
    They closed it down in the interests of "efficiency", despite petitions from the locals.  What did we get instead?  A phone line from the local SPAR shop, where any casual shopper could pass by and hear all your business while you shuffled into a corner with no-where to put the paperwork you wanted to refer to.  This was supposed to be a comparable service to what we had lost.  I have always refused to use it.
  • That's terrible Evaine. No privacy whatsoever. How they can call that a comparible service, I don't know.
  • Well, I think BT are wonderful! Don't folk realise how bored those poor poeple get telling them that their call is valued! Pretending to be a machine is hard work you know! Who do I work for?...er...well...BT actually.
  • Thanks GPW. always good to get another viewpoint. I had a look at their info on their call buster system, and I must admit when I have been contacting BT on a phone problem, it is easier to speak to a human being-quicker. Broadband is far from quick, the fault I had to report took me three seperate phone calls before I could speak to a human and report the fault.
    I suspect the problem is not enough people for the quantity of calls received.
  • In addition to using Skype for VOIP (talking over the Internet) I have had great experience with another outfit that needs only phones. I call a local number here in San Francisco and then can talk to the UK for hours with very little charge and sometimes none. It is all legal and it is a Swedish outfit that can be found at:  www.rebtel.com - happy nattering and enjoy annoying the auto phone systems for nothing.
  • Carol I've just checked the number I spoke of above but they happened to answer promptly on this occasion.  It looks like they may have 'pulled their socks up'.
  • I will be considering how I'm going to work the article over my holiday, then it will be written up as soon as the boys are back to school. So I have time to experiment with numbers.
    Actually I had to ring up a gov't department yesterday morning, and I got through straightaway-so perhaps they are finally getting their acts together after various damming reports on the issue.
  • Proud to be different. Should I read anything into that?
  • I hadn't thought of that Jay, I doubt whether they have either!
  • I'm a Londoner but now live in Ireland, Carol, and can assure you that 'helplines' are just as bad here.
    Just to make it more fun, Eircom (Irish equivalent of BT), has now changed from a mere button-pressing marathon to a voice-activated one; a recorded voice tells you which word to say for what department, with the menus equally convoluted.

Perhaps this is intended to help blind people, but if I were blind I imagine I'd have have learned the standard phone keys  (or would use adapted ones).  I would also have even more difficulty than sighted people in finding everyone in the house, in order to forewarn them that my abrupt words, punctuating the long silences, are not a summons, a call for help or any other remark, and that saying 'What?' can flummox the system so I have to start again.

I would also like to know how to explain this to a dog.  I imagine it could be difficult for people with sheepdogs, with their reflex to obey commands, but even a conversational woof at the wrong moment could confuse the system.  Even normally spoken words don't work - I usually have to repeat them more and more emphatically, until I'm barking myself (in both senses).

On the other hand, perhaps Eircom's technical people did it just because they can, to show how modern they are.

I don't know if  you can ring them from the UK to get the flavour, as it's a freephone number, 1901 (the Irish international code is 00353).  If you can ring it, I'd go for 'sales' if that's an option on that number, as otherwise you'll probably need an Irish phone number to get far (sorry to be vague, but I avoided that system if at all possible).

Cold-calling has got pretty bad here too, mainly due to an explosion of telephone companies.  In my area they're all chasing round a small population.  (They  keep trying again every couple of weeks).  It always seems to be at a bad time (why can't they ring during business hours?)  I try not to be impatient with the people who call, as they're probably in areas with no jobs, and lured by companies promising high OTT (over the top?) earnings.  And I don't mind them asking who my phone company is, especially as most of them give up - for now - on hearing it (largely, I'd guess,  because it's no longer Eircoma - sorry, Eircom).  But it's quite an exercise in patience when they ask me to spell UTV (a well-known provider here), and then don't understand it because they're in India, judging from the voice.  I then try, say, 'U for uncle', but always seem to hit on words they don't know...
    At least most of them have stopped asking for my husband, and ask for whoever deals with our phone bills (I do wish computer companies, for instance, would follow that lead into the 21st century).

I registered with our 'no cold calls' system recently, and can't wait till it kicks in!
  • Thanks for that 'international'view Hilary. We registered with the Telephone Preference Service earlier this year, and it took a few months to kick in, we were okay for a while. In the last two to three weeks we've started getting calls again. I just say we've registered with the TPS and they apologise and say they'll make sure our details are removed.
    I've only had one, Orange phones, it was clearly a foreign call centre, who just ignored it and carried on.
    Hopefully your system will work as well.
  • Amboline I didn't know you needed to annually renew it. I assumed once you'd registered it was there until you opted out.
    But it's true, tell them you're registered with TPS and they immediately apologise and don't ring again.