Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Question...

DazDaz
edited August 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I have an issue with my novel that I need some assist on pls guys...When referring to a Bishop in my novel does 'your eminence' contain capitals, as in 'Your Eminence'? Also - is there some law whereby you cannot use a title that has previously been used many years ago? Not like 'The Third Policeman' but a general phrase in use today...? Many thanks.
  • Definitely an upper case E - my books says that Eminence is the title used when addressing a Cardinal - so I don't know if it's the right one for Bishop - I'm not too au fait with ecclesiastical pecking order
  • I thought it was Your Grace.
  • Nope, that appears to be an archbishop. It might be My Lord Bishop.
  • Or, possibly, Your Reverence.
  • ok thanks v much. Well, it's a tricky one as the Bishop doesnt necessarily need to be a Bishop...he could just as easily be a Cardinal...but I'll need to do a bit more homework! Damn these period novels!
  • ok thanks v much. Well, it's a tricky one as the Bishop doesnt necessarily need to be a Bishop...he could just as easily be a Cardinal...but I'll need to do a bit more homework! Damn these period novels!
  • cool, thanks v much. I have plumped for Bishop anyhow...whenever i think Cardinal I think 3 musketeers. plus, there's some stuff in my novel with St Pauls cathedral and the Bishop of London was/is stationed there, so it works out cool. I must admit, on doing a Victorian novel its hard to keep focused on what and what wasnt around at the time! For instance, I'd put in a telephone, a car and a chilled mortuary before i realised my errors!
  • It depends whether you are talking to a bishop or refering to a bishop and whether you share his religion. The very reverend or my lord bishop.  Many having been sickened by the lavish life styles and self indulgence of some  clergy would refuse to offer anything beyond Mr. This can be useful in characteriseation as the refusal to accept th e self aggrandisement may differentiate the believer in and out of church 
  • according to Wikipedia (under "forms of address") a Bishop is addressed as "My Lord" or "Bishop"
  • In the Catholic church one of the correct forms of address is'Monsignuer', I can't remember if this was for the Bishop, or the next level up from that. Sorry.
  • Why not ring your local Church person, vicar.  I'm sure he/she could answer the question.