Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

christmas story

edited August 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi there, I am having a torrid time with my writing, having not written anything for over two months now. Totall writers block. I need to write a story for my writing course about Christmas and like the idea of a modern day Scrooge but need help, can't think of anything original! Please help before I quit!
  • Could Goggle the word 'Christmas' and see what happends may give you some ideas.
  • Instead of focusing on a Scrooge who doesn't like spending money on material things, how about someone who is 'Scrooge-like' with their feelings/emotions?  Perhaps they have to learn how to love?  Or is this too 'mushy'?
  • Or how about someone who is over generous and gives the most expensive presents so that everyone feels awkard because their gifts seem so cheap? The problem is that his presents are always the opposite of what people really want.
  • Or it could be that the person (male or female)  gives expensive presents that are just what people want - but they end up having to refund the cost to the miser because he/she really  needs the money - or pretends to.
  • I know plenty of Scrooges namely, those people who write to the local newpaper every year moaning about buying presents, decorations, carols, the crowds, the car parks and on and on...What about a mean store father Xmas who hates kids and thinks toys a waste of money. Then HIS kid turns up with his ex...?
  • Would like to help, but.... I'm working on my own convention busting christmas novel, and I can't afford to share the six figure advance (I wish.

A Christmas Carol has been done to death though. maybe you should look for inspiration elsewhere?
    Anyway, good luck, hope it works out.

Milhouse.
  • Oh, and let me be the first to wish you a happy Christmas!!
  • well how about a more unusual delivery for christmas, a baby,who could be called Carol.
    I hasten to add that although I was born in November, I was named after another little girl called Carol, who'd lived in the same building as my parents had , a few years before I was born.
    I always feel sorry for those women who have to have complete bedrest through their pregnancy. Think how you might feel if you were going to be stuck in hospital over Christmas.
    My triplets had to spend their first xmas in Special Care. On Christmas Day morning we went in to visit them and take them a present each, and waiting for us was a christmas card with a photo of the three of them together in special little christmas outfits. But best of all was one of the boys was in a cot rather than an incubator. It was a lovely gift because it hadn't been expected to happen until a few days later.
  • Our local paper often runs a story featuring babies born on Christmas Day. A boy born at Christmas could be called Noel. 
  • Carol - What a fantastic moment that must have been - and just about the most unScrooge-like story!!!
  • It's traditional in Spain to call a boy born on Christmas Day Jesus - what a name to live up to!