Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Hot weather and writing.

Comments

• We have had lovely weather the past few days in Central England and as a consequence my writing sometimes suffers. Do other talkbackers find it  harder to write in hot weather?
  • yes, but only because I'm tempted to sit in the sun with a book.
  • Definitely - see my thread about Too hot to ... Good weather is so difficult to predict that you feel you've got to enjoy it while it lasts. Maybe writing in the early morning is a solution.
  • I find it harder to do everything in hot weather. I can't sleep in it, can't go outside in it (extreme sun allergy and very fair skin), can't concentrate in it, often can't eat in it...

Actually to be fair it's the combination of hot AND humid that kills me. The time I spent in Egypt was lovely with some Factor 40 :)
  • I only collapse if it's so hot, you can't even go to the loo and be comfortable ;o)  Usually, I curl up with a book and try to avoid staying in the sun too long (fair skin), and there's always the excuse that reading is research :o)  I'm busy looking for proofreading work, at the moment, so I don't have much time to worry about it, anyway.
  • Once the temperature goes above 65 Degrees I stay indoors, only going out when I have to. I find that I too go  to research,as my brain slows down and the creativity with words becomes difficult.
    I couldn't live in a very hot climate.
  • I find it's easier - though demanding more effort - to write (or do other things) when the weather is good. It puts me in a cheerful frame of mind. I found during the recent period when we had day after day of rain that I started feeling miserable - this is unusual for me. I try to keep a positive attitude to life whether the weather is hot or whether the weather is cold. Whatever the weather, I try to say 'Whatever' and get on with the job in hand.
  • Ah rain is awesome. The ionised atmosphere gives my brain a nice boost! :)
  • I quite enjoy being a martyr and staying indoors to write - but like others I burn easily (10 minute drive to the hairdresser this morning and my arm was going red through the open window), so even if I go outside, I'll only sit in the shade anyway.
  • I find extremes of weather quite exhilarating - it energises my creative processes.  It's those dull nothing kind of days that drag me down.
  • The hot weather is my excuse for not doing anything. It's pleasantly cool at the moment. Mind you, it is two o'clock in the morning.
  • Jay - don't you ever sleep!!
  • I've just had a doze, thanks.
  • For the last six years, I've spent my summer's locked in the house, writing.  I daren't take the laptop outside in fear of it overheating.  Recently I realised that I was getting obsessed and missing out on life.  This summer I'm chilling out. 
  • I bet you're wondering what on earth drove you to pick Singapore now ;)
  • Now was it Tessa that posted that, or Luckypen...
  • Fab!!! Especially your tutor's name, Tessa ;)
  • It is quite terrific that you can start a conversation about the hot weather go via Singapore and end up talking about a Frank Schwarzenburger from OU.
  • I hate hot weather During a fortnight in the holy land it was fiendishly hot bu because of the emotional impact I hardly noticed and was buzzing with ideas..Perhaps it is jus that if creativity is on hold for a while one feels it more???
  • Hot weather today - much better than the rain. However, I started to feel unwell with the heat. Probably because like mad dogs and Englishmen, I went out in the midday sun.
  • Did I say something about chilling out?.  I've just spent a week in Stirling and I look like I've been barbequed!.  I'm hiding behind my laptop until December!.
  • 'Barbequed Stirling' yummy said the maneater. 
  • I am like a lot of you with humid hot weather. My brain goes into ground zero, cannot do a thing in those conditions,let alone think straight. What drove me crazy on top of it was that each day they told us it was going to cool down on such an such a day and each day that passed it was going to be the next - forget hell, we had it. I much prefer a good old fashioned English summer frankly. Very warm or hot weather is fine if you don't have to do anything but if you have work to do, whatever it is, writing, housework, going out etc, then I cannot cope - slip into nuclear melt down, not helped by the fact I was also having hot flushes or what someone at work called'power surges'.
  • Now we are getting rain, wind and definitely back to normality with some sun spread around. Relief.