Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

title of novel

edited July 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I completed a history novel in 2005 and sent it out, time after time, to various agents and publishers. It comes and goes as many a writer will understand. My problem is - I went into a bookshop on Friday and discovered another history novel with the same title. Fine - at least I got the title right! But what do I do about all those queries, first three chapters and synopses that are floating around somewhere on some slush pile or other. It looks as though I've nicked someone else's title and I haven't. Do I write to all those agents and publishers to tender a new title or do I just let it slide and wait for the rejections (or acceptance ha ha) to arrive on the doormat? It has left a sour taste in the mouth. Someone please commiserate, advise or give me a kick where it's most needed. I can't get it out of my head. Thanks. Olwen.
  • That's a really good idea Dorothy.
    In the past I've tried googling for my titles, just to see. For romantic fiction it's hard to come up with something no-one has used before but in my case,so long as the story line is very different I haven't let it bother me.
    It is so frustrating when that happens though Olwen. Particularly if you thought you'd got something really snappy.
  • Thanks dorothyd for your suggestion regarding a nudge - that's a really good idea.

Thanks to Flick too - it's nice to know there are others who have the same problems about finding titles. I guess I'll have to sweat a bit more to find another 'right' one.
  • Another 'don't quote me on this', but as far as I'm aware there's no copyright on titles. My Dandelion Clock is not the only one around, and I think there are a few Loss of Innocences, too.
  • That would mean we could write new books and use famous titles - and also write under pseudonyms which were the names of successful writers of the past, eg:

Catcher in the Rye by Jeffrey Archer.
    Wild Swans by Barbara Cartland.
    The Da Vinci Code by Charles Dickens

That would confuse the book world!
  • It is true that you can't copyright a title.  If you do get accepted with your currrent title, I wouldn't expect for it to have the same one by publication day.

As for using a famous title, that is probably the best way to confuse a reader.  You will either give another writer an easy sale, or really annoy the reader when they don't get the story they expect!.
  • Don't worry about it, there is no copyright on Titles-except for Harry Potter I would expect! But quite often you hear writers in interviews saying the publisher wanted a different title to the one they'd chosen, or are asked for an alternative title.
    Hopefully you will be accepted and the problem will be resolved. Good luck.
  • Never get attached to your title - publishers often change them.
  • I know it'll sound flippant, but could you ask him what a singlet is?
  • What are those ballooning shorts called?
  • It took me ages to think of the right titles for my book/sequel - they fit, and I'd hate for them to be changed.
  • you've heard of doublet and hose? Dorothy's gentleman might refer to them by another name.
    My Mediaeval and Tudor Costume book refers to trunk hose.
  • As opposed to a friend of Dorothy?
  • Well of course he's also a friend of Dorothy's. But I was trying to be polite, so I'm pleased that the Duke likes the suggestion.
  • So he was a 'confirmed bachelor'?
  • Has anyone looked at the various 'Dictionaries of Fashion.' There are many written for different historical eras such as Medieval, Tudor etc, and list garment terms, pictures and descriptions.
  • I have a number of costume books, and they are still not enough!