Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Help

Comments

• I've recently been getting quite severe pains in my hands - both, but my right in particular, as I'm right-handed.  I've come to the conclusion that this is from too much using the mouse, but there's not a lot I can do about that unless I stop using computers altogether, which is hardly an option.

Has anyone any ideas about what I can do?  I have crystals which I take to bed, but as soon as I start on the comp again, off it goes - my hands can have a mild ache, or they can be agony.

I know this is one of the perils of being a writer, but I didn't think I'd be inflicted with it quite so soon - I haven't even got my career off the ground, yet. 

I don't like using pills of any kind - that's the animal testing thing - and I try to use crystals as much as I can.  Either that, or homeopathic remedies.

Anyone?
  • Have you tried a mousemat with a padded section where your wrist rests? Ours is made by Belkin.

You can also get a padded strip to put in front of your keyboard so that both your wrists can be supported while you type.
  • Haven't tried that.  To be honest, it's actually the sides of my hands that hurt.  Down the edge, by my little finger, and mostly on the right hand.  It's the position my fingers are in when I type that's the problem, and the way they sit when I'm handling the mouse.  As I type, now, my right hand, mostly along the outside edge, is really quite bad, and it sometimes also works its way up to my elbow.  I know it's RSI, but I don't know of any homeopathic remedy for it.
  • Thanks, Nena, I'll try getting a wheatbag from somewhere.  There are quite a few health shops around here, so it shouldn't be too difficult.  Unless I have trouble describing what it is I want in French - perhaps I should wait until my OH can help me out (he's in France until tomorrow).

Cheers, both of you.
  • Hiya taffetapunk

Sorry to hear about your painful hands.  Though repetitive stress injury seems likely, have a look at the link below to make sure it's not carpal tunnel syndrome.  Seems unlikely as you are getting pain in your little finger and you are not getting any burning, tingling or numbness.  It might be worthwhile resting them for a while or using a splint.  See whether your GP practice has a physio you could make an appoinment with for assessment and maybe for some exercises. 
    Know you don't like tablets but if you wanted to try anything, take some ibuprofen or diclofenac (make sure to have it with food).  Alternatively, acupuncture can also be helpful, along with either cold or hot packs.

www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/ carpal_tunnel/carpal_tunnel.htm

Hope you get better soon
  • Thanks, Mad Doc.  My mum has carpal tunnel syndrome, and my cousin had an op on her hand to treat it, but I don't think it's that.  As for physio - my OH's dad is a physiotherapist (kinésithérapeute), so when I next see him, I'll ask him about it. 
  • Maybe you could visit this website:
    http://www.powerballs.com/
    We have a powerball at home and it really helps!
  • Get some Tiger Balm (they sell it in Tesco), it is so soothing and I always use it on my hand when it suffers from too much typing!
  • Thanks, Fleur.  I did look at the website, but it didn't give me the prices for Switzerland.  And, I was hoping to do something that didn't involve too much money (I'm skint until I can get some freelance work).

Thanks, anyway.
  • You're welcome!
    The powerball costs +/- 30 euros. Quite a lot actually. It was a gift from our school, so I didn't have to buy it myself. I'm told that even Tiger Woods and Andre Agassi use it to make their muscles stronger...
    But you're right: not that cheap!
  • I don't know if this will help, but have you tried slanting your keyboard.  A book prop will do, but the idea is to take the strain off your wrists.
  • Will try that - thanks everyone for suggestions.  Am in a panic, at the moment - if I disappear for a while, you know why, but I won't be able to stay away for long...
  • Hi, I've just been through the same thing - got RSI, been to physio, taken my painkillers and rested as best as I could with a deadline hanging over me, and really, just a few simple (and silly-looking; the Morecambe and Wise one is a particular favourite) exercises a few times a day made the world of difference. I'm back working again, but only for about 20 mins at a time, and take frequent, short breaks where I just relax or stretch a bit. It could also be worth investing in Dragon speech recognition software which types for you! I know I will next time I get paid!
    Best of luck, hope you get better,
    Tales
  • My sister had pains in her hands ages ago and since then she has been taking those Glucosamine vitamins and I think they had helped.
  • Tessa, OH's dad said simply to rest it for a couple of days - didn't suggest exercises, which surprised me, but I trust him.  (He wants to retire, but so many people want him to treat them...)

I've been holding my hand in warm water and it seems to help, and my crystals are friendly, too :o)
  • Btw, I don't touch type, but do tend to use my thumb - the ball of which gets it badly, too...  ho-hum...  I'm writing this with two fingers of my left hand - v. awkward.
  • Hi Taffeta,

As the pain is down the outside of your hands, this is certainly a nerve problem, and can be remedied by looking at how you work at your computer. As mentioned above, carpal tunnel syndrome (as it's called in the US) is an outcome of this problem, and you need to rectify your seating and positioning before it really sets in, as it can spark off a whole host of other RSI issues like tennis elbow and frozen shoulders.

Information about how to work at your PC can be found here: http://www.ergonomics.com.au/pages/400_useful_info/420_how_to_sit.htm

The main cause of the pain you're experiencing isn't so much to do with needing a wrist rest. Funnily enough it's most likely because you don't sit high enough in your chair, so your arms are resting on the desk while you type and use your mouse, resulting in compression of the nerve that runs down to your ring and little fingers.

I personally find wrist rests a right royal pain in the backside, and they tend to get in my way, but everyone's different. Certainly ensure that you are seated well before splashing out on any gadgets :)

Good luck!
  • Well, having had my wrist bandaged for a couple of days, and a piece of amber sitting on the ball of my thumb, held by said bandage, things are looking up.  Troo, we do know some RSI as carpal tunnel syndrome - my mum and my cousin both have it.  Things seem to be looking up, thus far, anyway.
  • Wrist bandaging will only provide temporary relief as the problem isn't in your wrist, it's pressure in your arm (or at a long shot the ball of your palm) that's being felt, as your nerve endings are the only part of a nerve that are sensitive, so the pressure's being reported by your fingers, not by the actual location of the problem. This is why nerve problems are can be a bugger to diagnose sometimes.

The compression of the bandage just gives your nerve something else to think about, interfering with the other signals. I have a friend in California who is all but crippled by carpal tunnel syndrome (yes, she's a writer. It plagues us), and often has to resort to some serious painkillers, and all because she contracted it before all this ergonomics stuff was really understood.
  • Hi forgive me - I have only skim-read (time pressure) - if anyone else has mentioned this.

Have you tried using a trackerball, rather than a mouse?

I hate computer mice - and they made my Carpel TS worse. About a decade ago I bought a Logitech trackerball (if you are left-handed ensure it suits). They are far better than mice and allow one's wrist and hand much more rest. Unfortunat5ly mine has just broken 9after several temporary repairs) so I need to replace it. They are not cheap - but much cheaper than on-going pain and drugs. I can't promise a magic solution, of course - depends on your exact condition - so all I can say is it worked brilliantly for me - worth trying out at a computer store anyway.

Cheers, p.
  • It seems to have mostly cleared up now, though I will have to be careful as my mum gets CTS quite badly, where her hand goes numb and tingly.

I actually think it's almost a good thing that I've been made aware of it now, before I reach the point of no return.
  • Hi
    One thing you might try is one of the various dictation programs, like Dragon Naturally Speaking. These allow you to speak into a microphone and the program will convert the words into text on the screen. You have to 'train' the program, but most of the manufacturers claim a better than 98% accuracy once you're reasonably familiar with it.
    It's not the same as using the keyboard yourself, but it's probably worth a try to avoid any further suffering!
  • What I need is something I can attach to the arm rest of my chair so that it supports my right arm, as I'm experiencing a lot of discomfort in the shoulder ball joint. It eases off if I don't use the computer.
    My chair is great for supporting my back, but not my right arm which controls the mouse.
    Does anyone know of anything I can buy to help?