Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Thumbnail Sketch. Confused.

edited July 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hello all,
            I have just had a new assignment sent me from W/N.
            I am a bit confused. My tutor is asking for a thumbnail sketch including verbs to be used later in my story.
                   My confusion is, I thought a Thumbnail meant a description of my characters, and background on them.
                        So Is she asking for a sketch of my story or my characters, or both, and How would I actually go about this, I am very confused as to the including verbs, can anybody advise me on this please. As you can probably tell I am brand new to writing.
                  Any help much appreciated.
                         Angie.

• Angie,

I always assume a Thumbnail sketch is an outline of my work. Either a brief synopsis or chapter outline (I always put both). I've not done a W/N course though, so it may be helpful to wait for someone who has.
  • Angie, what course are you doing?  If it is the novel, then I would imagine the tutor would look for more than the short story for example.  I have done two courses  with WN. With both I was given query sheets for each assignment to ask questions.  If you want to be sure why not ask the tutor?
  • Hi Angie - firstly don't panic.  I would interpret it to mean an outline of your plot.  The verbs you might use would depend upon the genre of your story and the action and interchanges that take place.  A simple example: if you are writing, say a murder story or thriller the verbs you might use are words such as strangle, pounding, stab.  Similarly if you are writing a romance the verbs might be kiss, glance.  I think what is called for is an outline of the story with some 'action' words included.
  • Angie, it's me again.  I've just read your comment in another thread about being put off your writing course.  Heavens above - you have nothing to worry about.  Mary Wesley was in her seventies when her first book was published and she went on to write many more.  She was driven by the need to earn some money.  I'm years older than you and still slogging away.  My philosophy is, even if you never get rich from your writing it's a hobby much better than bingo and it keeps the old brain in tip-top condition.  Writing is something that can be learned - practise, practise, practise.  One day you will really surprise yourself.
  • Hello All,
            Thank you so much for all your help. I am doing the short story course Rosemary, it just says a thumbnail with verbs to be included later in the story.
              Betsy Thank you I think you have hit the nail on the head, as for your other comments again Thank you I was considering giving it up, I do enjoy it when its going good, and as you say, " Its Better than Bingo".
                      I am due to disability doing my course via email, so I could email them but I feel such a dope not understanding what was meant.
      So Thank you all, All the comments have been most helpful.
              Its a great site this, everyone is so friendly.
                  Angie.
  • Hello to Tessa Tangent,
                      Thank you for replying to my query, what is actually said is quote." Think about your Characters, write a Thumbnail and include some verbs to be used later in your story, also think of the emotional side of it," unquote.
          Now being new I thought a thumbnail would be some background of the characters, and I got confused when I read "include verbs".
                              So then I started to think more like a first draft, and I haven't got around to that yet either, mainly because I think I have to write this other stuff first, and it is to be included along with my assignment.
                          My problem is also, when you do your assignments by snail mail, you have a question and answer sheet,you don't when doing it by email as I am, if I email them, it will go to the course co-ordinator, not the Tutor, now I don't know if it can be passed on from there to my Tutor,Am getting myself in a tizz over this.
    But from comments on here, I am starting to think an outline of the whole thing, more like a first draft I normally write, sometimes more, then I edit it all, I don't know if thats what they mean, but up to now, cannot think of what else it could mean.
            So am now thinking to quote yourself, B----R it, LOL.
              Thank you for your comments, its like I have to write the whole thing twice now, what do you think?.
                  Angie.

• Angie, your tutor is there to help you.  I did both my courses by 'snail mail' and got back my first short story assignment covered in red ink.  That was great as far as I was concerned because it was all very helpful.
    In my poetry course, I wasn't clear on the stresses of words and iambic pentameter.  The tutor saw my confusion and wrote me examples on her reply.  This made it clear for my next assignment.  Try to see her there to bring out the best of your work.
  • Hello Rosemary,
              Yes thats the thing about doing the course by snail mail, you have your question and answer sheet, by email as I am doing you don't.
                              I got my first one back all covered in blue, it was mainly punctuation errors, and presentation, I learned a lot from that, my second one I only had a couple of errors and quite a good feedback.
                  All it is I don't really understand just how to thumbnail, using verbs, I was not sure where to start, still not actually, but will when I get the chance give it a go, as I know I will learn from my mistakes, which I tend to see as a learning curve anyway.
                          Thank you for your comments much appreciated.
                  Angie.
  • I did a WN course some years ago, and I didn't get a Q&A sheet - and when I read one of the letters in this month's magazine, the writer said they received a certificate (I never did, so I got nothing to prove I'd done it) - perhaps things have changed since I did my fiction writing course in about 1998?
  • It was me who wrote that TP.  I got a certificate when I finished the short story course.  I got an even nicer one after the poetry course with a gold seal and ribbon.  It does give you a feeling of achievement on receiving it.