Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How do I get to read messages sent to me on this forum?

Comments

• Help,this may seem a simplistic question but I am struggling. If I cannot navigate my way around the forum then it does not bode well for my future writing ambitions. Could someone please post a remedial guide for me.In anticipation,thanks.I blame my brief lapse on the hot weather.
  • Second try, as first wouldn't go and had to log off and come in again.
    1. Log in
    2. Go to choose category box at top right. Best to 'select all'.
    3. List of threads comes up. Click on thread title to read what has been added to original message.
    4. If you don't want to add anything, click back and thread list returns.
    5. To add comment, click reply box at bottom of contributions.
    6. Blank message box appears. Put your comment in. Click submit box at the bottom.
    7. Preview box with your message in appears. Check it's okay. If yes, click submit box at bottom.
    8. If you want to amend message, click back and the original message box appears. You can then make changes before clicking submit again to go to Preview box with amended message in.
    9. Click submit, your message will be added on to the thread.
    10. Original list or threads list will then appear. Repeat relevant actions.
    Notes: You can only add threads and new messages when logged on, but you can read them without logging on.
    Side bar takes you to other sections of WN/WM site, with or without being logged on.
    Hope this is what you wanted to know, and helps.
  • * Go to members profile and selct your own.
    * In the row @Total Posts' it will show the message to which you have posted, or those you have created.
    * Click on this to get a list and you can jump to the topics where you have been involved

I should probably duck as I say this but the forum is not very intuitive.
    These days forums such as this usually have a variety of selections for managing and reading relevant responses. It is a failry basic forum.
    (but with some great contributors)

Taff
  • We are fairly basic folk Taffybach,

The all singing, all dancing websites are fine for those with entertainment needs but we create our own intercommunity.

You'll soon forget about the illusion of everyday life as Talkback absorbs you into its cunning "real life" web.
  • Not sure I agree with the sentiment.
    I'm not knocking the forum - just pointing out that it does not offer the options that many other forums offer today (many of which are not on 'fancy' websites).
    I am sure that the folks over at Writer's News are aware.
    It more than serves the purpose but it would be nice to have some user based tools (such as marking items as read or an option to read updates on items to which you have contributed.)
    Many of the contributors here on the forum mention the lack of time that they have to write and create. A few user-friendly forum tools would help them with their free time providing faster links to read and contribute to the forum.

As I say, I'm not knocking the forum just hoping for an upgrade in functionality sometime in the future.

Taff
  • Appreciate your point Taffybach,

There is a history of such features. Have you read the thread "Keeping up with talkback" started by Hippo?
  • I haven't but I'll go and check it out.
    Thanks
  • It would be useful to get messages in the e-mail inbox when ppl reply to threads that you subscribe to (presuming a facility to subscribe/unsubscribe to threads by means of a checkbox system) - it's a really simple way of keeping track of stuff.

Plus also, it'd be great if simple code were in use to allow us to make italic, underlined or bold text where needed, such as quoting book titles or for emphasis, etc... bb code, for example, is easy to use, but really effective for web links and text formatting etc.

This is probably the totally wrong place for this post. Sorry to the older users if that's the case. I'm new :)
  • Also, I noticed that there's nowhere in the forum category list for discussion about the actual forum itself -  are queries to be discussed in the general section? If there was a forum just for talkback-related discussion, we could use it as a suggestions box, a queries place and somewhere that general FAQs could be answered to save us bothering webbo when we could probably help ourselves.

Just a suggestion :D
  • Thanks for all the helpful advice offered in response to my query, I am finding my way around a lot easier and will improve with time.
  • Wilgetthere - You might find it useful to print all the above advice for easy reference!
  • It is possible to compose postings offline.  I often write them in Wordpad, then copy & paste them into the message box.  Especially if it's more than a couple of sentences, as timeouts could stop you submitting your carefully composed gems to forums!