Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Title

edited June 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi, trying to come up with a catchy title for my novel, what do you think?

Bonds of Blood
    The Loup Garou (my favourite)
    Blood Denial
    Inheriting Darkness
  • I like Inheriting Darkness. Not everyone would know what Loup garou meant.
  • I haven't a clue what Loup Garou means - ???
  • I didn't know either - I had to look it up on the internet! It's amazing what you learn from Talkback!!
  • Do any of the chosen selections feature anywhere in the book? As in, say a tense moment between two characters, perhaps a deadly secret, and one of them says 'these are the bonds of blood sweetheart'- see what I mean.
  • I may be totally and completely wrong but I suspect that 'Loup Garou' is french for werewolf?  Need to know a bit more about the story to tell what might be most appropriate (personal opinion only of course) but first reaction - Inheriting Darkness is good.
  • If it's only one werewolf, then yes, Loup Garou. I'm pretty sure the plural is Loups Garou tho :)

I have to say that I much prefer Inheriting Darkness, primarily because I see Loups Garou a hell of a lot (don't ask) and every time someone new comes up with that title, they think nobody else has, so it's turning into a bit of a cliche among werewolf fiction :)
  • Yes, I agree with Inheriting Darkness. I read your synopsis and I think that this is a great title to hint at what the story is about and it also sounds intriguing (is that how you spell it? brain is fried to-day)
  • Hi all,

thanks very much. I'm really glad I decided to ask here, because I did a 'thinking about titles' session yesterday and came up with a few, but Inheriting  Darkness was one that came totally on the spur of the moment as I was typing my query in here. So  that's worked out really well as having slept on it, I think it's a great title.

I tried google searching possible titles, some that I like have already been done either on the screen or  as books, didn't find any books called Loup Garou (yes, whoever asked, it means 'werewolf') I found the following 'Blood Heritage', Ravenous (you have to watch that film!) The Company of Wolves (I nearly called my book The Company as that is what the werewolf cult call themselves) and another title I really like is The Beast Beyond.

Think I will go with Dark Inheritance.
    See you all soon.
  • Hi all,

thanks very much. I'm really glad I decided to ask here, because I did a 'thinking about titles' session yesterday and came up with a few, but Inheriting  Darkness was one that came totally on the spur of the moment as I was typing my query in here. So  that's worked out really well as having slept on it, I think it's a great title.

I tried google searching possible titles, some that I like have already been done either on the screen or  as books, didn't find any books called Loup Garou (yes, whoever asked, it means 'werewolf') I found the following 'Blood Heritage', Ravenous (you have to watch that film!) The Company of Wolves (I nearly called my book The Company as that is what the werewolf cult call themselves) and another title I really like is The Beast Beyond.

Think I will go with Inheriting Darkness.
    See you all soon.
  • That was not supposed to happen - sure I edited before I pressed send. I'm just having one of 'those' days all round.
  • Off the top of my head there's a Doctor Who audio drama by Big Finish that's called Loup Garou, a game called Les Loups-Garous des Thiercelieux (which is absolutely FANTSTIC! If you ever get the chance to play it, do so! But you need about 18 players, so it's a definate party game, not one for a few friends), an awful lot of Gothic werewolf fiction either named Loup Garou or using the phrase in part or whole as a name for the werewolf species within the text (spawned in part by White Wolf using the word "Garou" to describe werewolves in a very popular roleplaying game of the past decade), the name of a rock band, and a whole bunch of books by various authors (if you do an Amazon search, for example).

Don't mind me, I'm suffering Loup-Garou overload :)