Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Critique call.

edited May 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi all,

Due to my recent change in circumstances, I find myself poorer than a church mouse who’s wife has run off with all the cheese and left him with an enormous gas bill (well, the telly, the bed, the fridge… etc, and it was an electricity bill).
    Such is life! Anyway, unfortunately, this has scuppered my plans for a professional critique, and so, I would be interested in hearing from any of you that are published authors, and might be able to help critique my work, as it is at that stage now.

Of course, I will cover any costs involved, but all I can pay is a warm, heartfelt thank in the credits, and the offer to return the favour at some point.

So, if any of you wish to read something topical, and a bit different, please let me know.

Only ruthless critics need apply…

Thanks,

Milhouse.
  • It might help everyone if you could give them a basic idea of length and subject.
  • True Carol…..  (I’m a bit brain dead at the mo.)

The length is approx 110000 words, but I will probably work the critique in sets of chapters to spread the load a bit?

The story is based around the Grey Revolt, and what happens when life becomes too much of a struggle for a group of pensioners. One of them finds a hoody in a charity shop, and commits a crime, and then recruits the others to get their stolen pension money back from the man (delightfully wicked character) that has taken it.

It sounds simple, but it is a triple thread plot, the first being as above, the second being a power struggle and murder, the third examining the stigma of ageism through the eyes of youth.

To sum it up I suppose it is about adversity over age, and change. With a thesis that just because you are old doesn’t mean you are useless.

It is a sad, but funny, uplifting and honest story with a bit of a modern gothic theme, and was written with the premise: Make ‘em laugh, make ‘em cry, and make ‘em wait. Which hopefully it does.
  • Love the theme of your work Millhouse.  Sounds topical and satirical.  Before you blow loads of money on a professional critique, I'm wondering if it is worth sending it 'out there' while it's fresh.  Visit some agents' websites and see which writers are on their books.  Find an agent who takes writers of a genre similar/same as yours.  Be positive.  They need writers and new stuff as much as we need them to get a foot on the ladder.  Sincere best wishes and hope you are feeling more hopeful these days.  xxx
  • It sounds fantastic, and I'd love to give it the editorial red pen treatment for you, but at 110,000 words it'd eat up a hell of a lot of my time, and I'm snowed under launching an e-zine at the moment.

If you want to email me the first chapter, I can give that the quick once-over to tell you if there are any outrageously glaring issues that you need to address, but alas I can't commit to reading the whole book :(

Good luck, whatever you decide :)
  • The publisher Transita comes to mind.  A long shot, I know, but sometimes hunches pay off more than all the research methods in the world.
  • Hi Milhouse,

Received your sample. I've just got back off holiday, so I'll look it over this week :)

Ta,

Troo.
  • Hi Millhouse

Sounds great - I'd be happy to have a look a the first few chapters for you if you want to e mail them to me. I've never been published, but am an avid reader of fiction... Just an offer, it's up to you.
    Also,I recently signed up to a site which offers free critiques with no membersip charge. The site is based on reciprocity, i.e you 'earn' your critiques by doing the same for other members. The website address is:
    http://www.critiquecircle.com.
    Best
    Lizzie