Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Look at my length!

edited May 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi all,

I know there is probably not a correct answer, but I have  MSS of 110.000 words split into 38 chapters. The smallest of which is 1000 words, and the largest 5000.

Is it too many chapters for the length? Is it worth stitching some together?
  • I would say not.  Two of mine are both around 100,000 and into the 30-something chapter range.  I was worried about it as well, until I spoke to a friend of mine who told me not to panic.  Have a look at "Gormengast" by Mervyn Peake, and then you won't be so bothered, I assure you!
  • Thanks for the reply Punk.

Saves me yet more work if I keep it as it is I guess. It’s funny , you do the work, think it’s fine, and then things begin to niggle.

Milhouse – aka Ogleburger Svengalbean IV © Loony Bin productions 2006 (all rights reserved etc.)

Ps. You might notice, but I’m loosing it a little at the moment!
  • Had a driving force far better than determination I’m afraid – a grumpy spouse, and a difficult situation!
    Still, the long hours of deathly silence paid off I guess. Got my work done anyway. And now I have the opportunity to tidy it up now that the spouse scenario is sorted. If I can just keep my Brain in relatively functioning order.

Perhaps I’ll bury my mobile phone in the garden, and concentrate?
  • Hi Milhouse
    Well done for getting to the end, I have about that amount of words, the trouble is, it comprises at least 3 different novels - beginings and endings!!
    At least you are there now, I don't see a prob with chapters of varying lengths, as long as they 'feel' right and the chapter breaks fit with the flow of the story, then you should be fine.
    Good luck
    Lizzie
  • Yea - I agree. There is absolutely no problem with chapters of varyinf length.
    Also, I feel that in this busy age where everyone seems pushed for time, natural chapters or section breaks are popular to allow readers to stop at a convenient point and not have to wade through 30 pages to chapter end.

Taff