Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

flashbacks

edited February 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• A storyline, maybe a short novel plot has been floating in my mind for a while now and I think it will require some flashbacks to connect the present with the past. I was thinking of using the present tense (first person) for the main story and the past for the flashbacks, what do you think? I am aware that too many flashbacks (sorry about the repetition) can make the reading difficult to follow, but if you can suggest any other idea, I will be grateful.
  • I agree, it sounds interesting.  I hope you try it.  If so, let us know how you get on.
  • Go for it, Summernight. It sounds good to me.
  • The Hours by Michael Cunningham jumps between three distinct times and he does it entirely in the present tense, so I would have thought your idea would work. Good luck!
  • As one who hates flashbacks, I can see advantages in your method. You can avoid the flashback cliches like "She had been working with him four years now." or "She let her mind wander back over the four years..."  They get up my nose as soon as I read them.
    So yes, go for it. And tell us how well it works, please.
  • My fingers are crossed that your flashbacks work out.
  • Go for it summernight, let us know how it works out.
  • Thank you all. I really appreciate your comments because you are more experienced than me and I am always glad of useful feedback. Thanks also for your encouragements; this weekend I will surely make a start. I have the main story, the characters and the locations, so I guess I don't need excuses, the ironing can wait!
  • I still haven't decided what is going to be the best option, do you think the past should be in the third person and the present in the first?
  • Now Summernight!

Do I read a little procrastinating in this first/third dilemma? Stop worrying and get writing!

Don't worry about such details as grammar etc. until you have many thousands of words visible on "paper". The first priority is to put your ideas into written words.

Once you have a good chunk of the plot in visible form you will be able to judge the delivery and story-telling format that appeals best.

It's impossible to edit/judge/debate blank space. Always put words from your head into any visible form before slowing creative flow by considering detail.

Now START WRITING and good luck.
  • Oh Jan, we could all do with you to give us a little push now and then. (I will just finish reading the Talkback then I will get on with my writing).
  • and here I am, TWO visits in one morning!

Yes Lucyq, you're absolutely right, I too must just finish reading these threads. Then I'll get on ...... with something ....
  • Thanks Jan, you're right, I should I MUST get on with it!
  • Hi Summernight. I'm currently writing a novel in the first person, past tense. I need flashbacks. In revising some today I've started the flashback in the past perect ('had' tense) then continued it in the past. It seems to work. While you have to work hard to get the start of the flashback right (otherwise I'm in danger of finding myself firmly lodged in Dee's nasal extremity!)if the transition is reasonably smooth, it seems to read Okay. Is it worth trying starting your flashbacks in the past and then slipping back into the present? I think it could work.
  • To all those struggling with the flashback dilemma.

Have you considered writing these scenes as seperate chapters, inserted in the storyline at appropriate junctures?
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Jan. I've done that in the past but these days I've moved to a continuous narrative in each chapter so that the flashback is related to the character's dilemma of the moment. I found that my writing previously stopped and started with short chapters or sections within chapters and read like a film script. I love the cinema but I feel it has had an exaggerated effect on novels which Im trying to avoid.
  • Jan, my original idea was alternating past and present chapters, and now that you suggest it I am more convinced that it would work, in my case anyway.
    Howard, thanks for your suggestion, but I don't think I am experienced enough to attempt such a task; I am afraid I could end up with an unreadable and complicated mess! But I know what you mean about narrative sounding like a film script. I often find myself thinking of 'scenes' rather than 'pages'.... do I watch too much TV?
  • Summernight (what a great name!!), I've just finished writing a scene in which I found myself describing clich
  • Hi Summernight, good to hear from you. Another author to add to the fun is Stephen King. I hope I spelt his name right. I heard he writes flashbacks very well.
  • I'm writing some extra scenes for a 'completed' novella. Some will be flashbacks. Using 'had' throughout seems a bit awkward. I think I might just have to give the year and hope readers realize that the rest (I typed 'best' - must be my day for typos-cum-Freudians) of the book is set a couple of years later (the scenes will be mixed in with the rest of the book). Of course, I could live dangerously and put them in the present tense. That should certainly make readers think.

Yes, you're right. I don't feel like doing any work this afternoon. Maybe I'll see how The Dandelion Clock's doing on Amazon.com. Someone's just written a review of it in which they say there's too much drinking of tea. Must be an American.
  • Number 48 on their bestselling list; and number 36 on their top sellers list (gay fiction).