Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Understanding your characters

edited March 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Hi everyone,

I have been re-writing a very important chapter of my novel, and so far, I think it is much better than my first attempt. But the thing I have learned the most whilst doing this is that writing the novel is a very good way of understanding my characters.

That might sound like a strange, or obvious, comment but what I mean is that it’s a lot more productive than writing out character profiles. There are tiny bits during this chapter, sometimes no more than lines of dialogue, that tells me something new. For example, I had no idea my main character was persistent. I did not write that in her profile. It developed during the writing, and it was a good feeling to see it happen.

During the chapter, she goes through a terrible time, and there was one part I read back to myself that made me feel really sad for her. I just cannot believe how real she is in my mind. The power that writing fiction has amazes me. I never imagined when I started this novel that I would become close to a character. It’s special feeling when you know you have someone who in your head is crystal clear. You can hear her speak and you can see her walk. You can see her do anything.

I’m at the point where I can’t wait to see how she deals with it. I can see a huge adventure, a period where she has to discover, and I know now that it will be a joy to write.
  • It works for you, so go with it. Characters do take over sometimes, so beware.
  • I understand what you mean Schumi. My characters too have developed as I have been writing. One in particular, who was a minor character, has now become a much more major character and has added more interest and depth to the story. I agree, you do find out about your characters as you write.
  • I know what you mean dorothy, but sometimes letting a character have their way can alter the story so much that it loses its way. If that character is so dominant, then you have to seriously consider whether the original story is right, or you should rethink everything. In the end I think it is one of those individual writer characteristics. If it works for you- then fine. If not, reign the wayward muse in.
  • dorothyd, it is interesting you mentioned W. Somerset Maugham. I have a collection of his books, and the ones I have read so far are The Painted Veil and Up at the Villa. The latter is very good, but The Painted Veil is an outstanding novel, and by far the best piece of fiction I have ever read.

I don't feel my main character is taking over. I am writing the story from her viewpoint, but plan to introduce the viewpoint of the main protagonist soon. So in all I will have two viewpoints throughout the novel.
  • I don't enjoy first person viewpoints, although I do sometimes use them. I prefer third person/ mutiple third person viewpoint, but kept under control. What do the rest of you think about viewpoint? Do you have a definate viewpoint preference?
  • I should have said this in my earlier post, but I am actually writing the story in the third person. I prefer this to writing in the first person. But instead of using an all-seeing narrative, I have chosen to show everything through my main character and the antagonist's eyes.

I find it a bit unrealistic to have an omniscient viewpoint because if my main character is upstairs, and something happens downstairs, then to me it makes sense for whatever happened to be revealed when the character finds out about it. I don't want to have a situation where the character is the last to know.
  • I wouldn't use omni??? viewpoint ( sorry- forgotten the spelling), but I would have linking scenes where someone other than my main protagonist is central and moving the plot along. Do you understand what I mean or have I confused you?
  • Hi Carol,

I understand what you mean. I think using my antagonist’s viewpoint will be a good way to keep the story flowing when my protagonist isn't around. Seeing as he is the one who assaults my main character, it will be a good opportunity to show his mindset, and see why he would do that sort of thing in the first place.

I was thinking of using another person's viewpoint from the same family, but felt it could complicate things when they are both in a scene together. For example, say if they were having a heated argument, who's viewpoint would you use? If the reader already knew lots about both characters, then they would want to know what both were feeling during the exchange. You can do a lot of that through dialogue, but there are always those points when a conversation stalls, and you give a mention to what a character is thinking.

I would appreciate any comments you have on my choice of viewpoints.
  • I can see why you would want to limit the viewpoints to your two main characters, and from what you have said I think that is sensible. Where you have the scenario of the two people having a heated discussion. I personally would keep the viewpoint, as I'm sure you intend to, with your main character. I really think you can get the other person's reaction across by the way they speak and their body language, without changing viewpoint. How your main character interprets those tell-tale indicators, can also be an reflection on their mental/personal state at that point in the story. I suppose you could see it as another way of developing the character. Someone else may have another suggestion, which is expected. We have to write to the form required, and you will know what that is for your genre. Hope this has helped not confused.
  • In the book I'm typing up just now, it's written from one viewpoint, in third person, until I get to the end - this I wrote as an epilogue in the first person, and it worked really well.  With only having one viewpoint, I was really able to get into my character's head, and yes, she also developed more as I went along.  A part I typed up today had more of an effect on me than when I wrote it by hand: a character is killed, and when my protagonist heard about it, and I typed that part up, a shiver ran down my spine, and I actually felt what she was feeling.  She's very real to me, I can see her, I can hear her, and I can feel things as she would feel them.  I don't think you can get a better feeling than that when you're writing fiction, as there's nothing worse than a character you can't empathise with.
  • I like the idea of writing the ending in first person. Do you have an antagonist in your story? In mine, I could keep everything under the single viewpoint. But considering that my antagonist attacks my protagonist, I think maybe the reader would like the opportunity to go into his mind to see why he would do such a thing.